[net.auto.tech] TR7 suspension question

allan@nmtvax.UUCP (10/29/85)

*** REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR LIFE ***

I have a 1976 Triumph TR7 (California version) with front end problems.
Can anyone out there help me?  Here is the problem:

Initially, when driving the car and applying the brakes at speeds around 35
and higher, the front end would shake terribly.  I could feel the shaking
through the steering wheel and I could also feel the wheels shaking.

Recently, the problem has gotten worse.  When I drive the car into long turn
and occasionally when I am driving down the road between 40 and 60, the front
end shakes.

I think that it is probably the struts, but I wanted some other opinions on
the matter.

Thanx

Alan F. Perry

cal@pyramid.UUCP (Craig Levin) (11/01/85)

> From: allan@nmtvax.UUCP
>
> I have a 1976 Triumph TR7 (California version) with front end problems.
> Can anyone out there help me?  Here is the problem:
>
> Initially, when driving the car and applying the brakes at speeds around 35
> and higher, the front end would shake terribly.  I could feel the shaking
> through the steering wheel and I could also feel the wheels shaking.
>
> Recently, the problem has gotten worse.  When I drive the car into long turn
> and occasionally when I am driving down the road between 40 and 60, the front
> end shakes.
>
> I think that it is probably the struts, but I wanted some other opinions on
> the matter.

I had this problem with my '76 many years ago, it turned out to
be a warped Disc Rotor.  This can be checked by measureing the
"Disc Runout".  Replacement is about a 45 minute job, similar to
greasing the internal front wheel bearings.  Speaking of which,
they might be the problem also.  The rotor was not cheap, about
$120, five years ago.

mberns@ut-ngp.UTEXAS (Mark Bernstein) (11/01/85)

[]

Regarding TR-7 front end problems:   I'd check for badly warped
brake rotors (most likely), and for lateral runout - warped front
wheels/tires.   A bad rotor will, of course, lead to the shimmy while
braking, but it can also rub up against the pads each revolution of the
wheel, causing just a little drag and leading to highway speed shimmy.

- Mark Bernstein (UT Austin - SPE)

eldonz@tekigm2.UUCP (Eldon Zacek) (11/15/85)

	I have a TR-8 and it did something similar to what you are
	discribing. If once and awhile when driving over a bump slow
	does do you here a clunk, all of this could be an indication
	that you have a bad front ball joint. On other thing that mine
	did before i fixed was if you step on the brakes hard from a
	high speed it would pull to one side. This was due to the fact
	that all of a sudden the lower point on the strut was moving
	about a 1/2" thus changing the front end dynamics. It also can
	be a wrapped rotor, too.