[net.auto.tech] mixing antifreeze

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (11/13/85)

****                                                                 ****
From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> Does anyone know if it's OK to mix different brands of antifreeze?

I recently used a case each of Prestone, Dow, and Texaco.  A week later
I dumped the last few drops from each container into one container.
Now I have about a pint of this mixture.  It has grease like stuff
floating on top and the various colors (red, green, and blue) did
not mix, they just form sort of a muddy streaked color.  I would
say that they are not compatible.  Fortunately, I just used it in
a lawn roller and should not have to worry about anything but corrosion
resistance.  I wouldn't want it in a car.

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (11/14/85)

In article <313@mhuxl.UUCP> smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) writes:
>****                                                                 ****
>From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh
>
>> Does anyone know if it's OK to mix different brands of antifreeze?
>
>I recently used a case each of Prestone, Dow, and Texaco.  A week later
>I dumped the last few drops from each container into one container.
>Now I have about a pint of this mixture.  It has grease like stuff
>floating on top and the various colors (red, green, and blue) did
>not mix, they just form sort of a muddy streaked color.  I would
>say that they are not compatible.  Fortunately, I just used it in
>a lawn roller and should not have to worry about anything but corrosion
>resistance.  I wouldn't want it in a car.

I don't think it will hurt anything to mix them.  And probably the grease
stuff that you refer to is probably engine oil which indicates a leaky
head gasket.  That should concern you much more.....

Bill Landsborough

smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) (11/18/85)

From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh

> >I recently used a case each of Prestone, Dow, and Texaco.  A week later
> >I dumped the last few drops from each container into one container.
> >Now I have about a pint of this mixture.  It has grease like stuff
> >floating on top and the various colors (red, green, and blue) did
> >not mix, they just form sort of a muddy streaked color.  I would
> >say that they are not compatible.  Fortunately, I just used it in
> >a lawn roller and should not have to worry about anything but corrosion
> >resistance.  I wouldn't want it in a car.
> I don't think it will hurt anything to mix them.  And probably the grease
> stuff that you refer to is probably engine oil which indicates a leaky
> head gasket.  That should concern you much more.....

Sorry, my lawn roller is just a tank and does't have a head or a tail.

The gease was noticed on a mixture of virgin antifreeze that was obtained
from the few drops that was left in each container.   The grease might have
been auto-transmission fluid since I did use a funnel that had been used
for AT fluid several months before and had only been wiped out with a paper
towel.  Still the mix looks very non uniform compared to the nice translucent
appearance of the original mixes.

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (11/19/85)

In article <2903@vax4.fluke.UUCP> marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) writes:
>In article <313@mhuxl.UUCP> smh@mhuxl.UUCP (henning) writes:
>>****                                                                 ****
>>From the keys of Steve Henning, AT&T Bell Labs, Reading, PA mhuxl!smh
>>
>>> Does anyone know if it's OK to mix different brands of antifreeze?
>>
>>I recently used a case each of Prestone, Dow, and Texaco.  A week later
>>I dumped the last few drops from each container into one container.
>>Now I have about a pint of this mixture.  It has grease like stuff
>>floating on top and the various colors (red, green, and blue) did
>>not mix, they just form sort of a muddy streaked color.
>
>I don't think it will hurt anything to mix them.  And probably the grease
>stuff that you refer to is probably engine oil which indicates a leaky
>head gasket.  That should concern you much more.....
>
>Bill Landsborough

Excuse me if I'm wrong, but it seems to say that he mixed them from their
original caontainers into a second container, they were never placed in an
engine (hence the substance was not engine oil from a blown head gasket).

If there is a compatibility problem I would like to know, as I usually use
several different kinds of antifreeze (which ever is available at the time).

			-Pete-