[net.auto.tech] shaking when cold

tanner@uwstat.UUCP (11/26/85)

I have found that my 1985 Tercel goes through a shaking spell
when started after being out in the cold.  The car has no problem
starting, it just shakes for about one or two minutes.  After the
shaking stops, the idle speed noticeably increases. I brought the
car into the dealer and the mechanic could not diagnose the
problem.  Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

                                         Martin Tanner

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (12/03/85)

In article <257@uwstat.UUCP> tanner@uwstat.UUCP writes:

>I have found that my 1985 Tercel goes through a shaking spell
>when started after being out in the cold.  The car has no problem
>starting, it just shakes for about one or two minutes.  After the
>shaking stops, the idle speed noticeably increases.

My 1985 Tercel does the same thing, except that the shaking lasts
only a few seconds. It acts as if half the cylinders are not firing.
Lane here at work suggests that the oil may not be circulating
well at first, so the engine is idling extremely slowly (500-800 RPM),
so you will feel every thrust, especially in a 4-cylinder engine.
Also it could be due to the gasoline not vapourising properly when
extremely cold, so some cylinders will miss until the gas is warm.

Dave Kirby    ( ...!ihnp4!akgub!cylixd!dave)