[net.auto.tech] MOBIL 1 info. request

grl@drutx.UUCP (LymanGR) (11/26/85)

Having paid an arm and a leg for an oil change using MOBIL 1
synthetic motor oil, I am curious about how long this stuff
really lasts.  I purchased the 5W-30, which is working nicely
with the weather I've been experiencing (15 degrees F).
However, the owner's manual recommends that 5W-30 be used
only up to 60 degrees F.  Does this mean that I should change
the oil next summer?  MOBIL states that the oil is good for
24,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first).

What do YOU think?

drutx!grl		Randy Lyman

grd@ihu1e.UUCP (daly) (11/27/85)

> Having paid an arm and a leg for an oil change using MOBIL 1
> synthetic motor oil, I am curious about how long this stuff
> really lasts.  I purchased the 5W-30, which is working nicely
> with the weather I've been experiencing (15 degrees F).
> However, the owner's manual recommends that 5W-30 be used
> only up to 60 degrees F.  Does this mean that I should change
> the oil next summer?  MOBIL states that the oil is good for
> 24,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first).
>
> What do YOU think?
>
> drutx!grl		Randy Lyman

I wouldn't know.  From the tests I've run on synthetic oil, I've
found that they have WORST lubricative capabilities as compared to
other pertroleum base stocks.  What makes these oils better is the additives
they add to the oil.  Sythetic oils do withstand higher and lower temperature
ranges as NASA does use them but they do not have the lubricative capability
as does base stock oils.  All in all, the synthetics will last as long as
the additives will.  I would get an in writing guarantee of full replacement
of my engine before I would stick this stuff in my car.

                                  - Garry Daly ihu1e!grd

pwv@fluke.UUCP (Pat Vilbrandt) (11/27/85)

> Having paid an arm and a leg for an oil change using MOBIL 1
> ...  MOBIL states that the oil is good for
> 24,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first).
>
> What do YOU think?
>
> drutx!grl		Randy Lyman

I believe Mobil.  Let me digress a minute however on a recent experience with
organic motor oil:

A friend called me the other day saying the engine in his '82 Subaru was making
horrible banging sounds, so he towed it to my house, and sure 'nuff, it sounded
horrible.  What's the problem?  Quick compression check; one cylinder slightly
low, but acceptable overall.  So, we undid 80,000 hoses and tubes and pulled
the engine out.  (It was obvious by now from turning the main engine pulley
by hand that the connecting rod bearings were shot -> lots of play.)

As we here tearing the heads down, we found that they were full of gunk -
looked like asphalt (which is, after all, one of the "bottoms" left over from
refining lubricating oil from crude).  Hmmm, I thought.  So I asked my
friend, "How often have you changed the oil in this puppy?"  He slowly cleared
his throat and said quietly "'bout four or five times."  The car had 103k
miles on it!  Enough of this "asphalt" had found its way into the oil pan to
plug the oil intake screen.  No oil pressure -> trashed bearings.  Today, after
machining the crank, re-conditioning the conn. rods and new bearings (and
scraping lots of gunk!), my friend's Subaru is back on the road.

The moral of this (true) story is that ORGANIC motor oils have to be changed
often because they BREAK DOWN.  This break down is largely caused by heat,
not from combustion by-products, dirt, dust, water, whatever.  Most of the
additives (detergents) put in organic motor oil are there to combat this
problem, ie. to protect the engine from the oil!  True, the above is a bit
extreme, but I question the recent practice of many auto manufacturers
extending oil change intervals to 10,000 miles.  Organic oils just haven't
improved that much.

Don't believe me?  Well, let me offer this other true story:

I started running Mobil 1 in my '77 Subaru 4WD wagon after the first 6000 mi.
oil change, and changed it thereafter every 15-20K miles.  At about 90k miles,
the water pump seal failed, the engine lost coolant and the *cylinders* warped.
In the process of tearing the engine down to have the cylinders re-bored, I
found almost no bearing, ring or cylinder wear and the engine was the cleanest
I had ever seen - no sludge build up in the heads and almost no varnish!  I got
the impression that the engine would have gone forever if it hadn't overheated.

Note that I had driven the car in temperatures over 100 degrees in the summer
and below zero in the winter.  Also, back then, Mobil 1 was 5W-20, not 5W-30
as it is now (which I believe is better).

Well, this is getting too long, so, in summary, if you're using Mobil 1, you'll
be okay if you change it every 24,000 mi.  If you're using organic motor oil,
change it as often as you can afford, every 5,000 is probably okay, more often
is better.

--

   Pat Vilbrandt
   John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

In article <711@drutx.UUCP>, grl@drutx.UUCP (LymanGR) writes:
>Having paid an arm and a leg for an oil change using MOBIL 1
>synthetic motor oil, I am curious about how long this stuff
>really lasts.  I purchased the 5W-30, which is working nicely
>with the weather I've been experiencing (15 degrees F).
>However, the owner's manual recommends that 5W-30 be used
>only up to 60 degrees F.  Does this mean that I should change
>the oil next summer?  MOBIL states that the oil is good for
>24,000 miles or one year (whichever comes first).
>
>What do YOU think?
>
>drutx!grl		Randy Lyman

Certainly follow the owner's manual scrupulously if the engine is still under
any kind of extended warranty, such as many modern models have.

Depends on the kind of car you have, too, whether you would wish to risk the
5w30 during warmer temperatures.  It might not be wise in, say, a turbo engine
to do this.  In my ancient Chevy Vega, the manual says that a 5w30 oil is safe
clear up to 100 degrees Fahrenheit, and Mobil 1 works nicely in that infamous
engine (though with some leaks; the stuff gets past gaskets a lot more freely
than conventional oils, it seems).

If you are worried about temperature ranges, and the oil is still apparently
clean come warm weather, you could always save it in a clean, covered con-
tainer (clean the bottom of the oil pan too before draining).  My main concern
is that the oil gets grungier and grungier with suspended combustion products
and carbon with use, and I don't like to have too much of this circulating
about the engine even when passed through the filter to remove granular par-
ticles, though I have seen stories in various mechanical magazines which claim
all sorts of long life for this oil and I think it's probably true.  If you can
change it yourself at all it will be a lot cheaper, obviously, to change
it fairly often (you may also do a more conscientious job yourself; a lot
of garages don't even wait to let the last half quart or so of oil out before
closing up the drain and adding the new oil).

'Nough foaming at the mouth for now, gotta go....
|        skokie, illinois        |

In article <559@ihu1e.UUCP>, grd@ihu1e.UUCP (daly) writes:
>From the tests I've run on synthetic oil, I've
>found that they have WORST lubricative capabilities as compared to
>other pertroleum base stocks.
>
>                                  - Garry Daly ihu1e!grd

Please describe these tests for us?

|        skokie, illinois        |