[net.auto.tech] SYNTHETIC OILS -- car warranties problems

earle@oblio.DEC (Mr. SPPR) (12/03/85)

First before I start I would like to suggest all the gung-ho-'50's-all-metal-
-Chevy-no-way-gonna-put-no-synthetic-sh*t-in-this-here-auto beings to refrain
from flaming me unless you're going to add to the discussion with some relevant
experience.

To those (one person in particular who wrote alot about it a couple of days
ago) who can discuss this, I would like to know what happens to new car engine
war- renties.   I have a 4-cyl. turbo engine that has a stipulation (as many
probably do) that I change the oil every 3000 miles.  For my trip to work this
change oc- curs about once every 33 days.  I used a synthetic oil once (total
change) but went back to regular 'TURBO' accented oils later because of the
cost.  It seemed to me that there was a BIG discrepancy in my car manuf.
suggesting that I change the oil every 3000 miles and the (for example) MOBIL 1
can suggesting that I could go for about 25000 miles.  Wait a minute.?!?

Will I void my warranty if I use MOBIL 1 or equiv. at 6000-7000 mile changes?
Could I make a note on the receipt that I used MOBIL 1?  Would that suffice? Or
am I making to much out of the mileage so long as one can see that the engine
has been well taken care of.

Any responces are gratefully thanked in advance.

						George Earle
						DECVAX!DECWRL!RHEA!OBLIO!EARLE

dennis@vrdxhq.UUCP (R. Dennis Gibbs) (12/04/85)

In article <1568@decwrl.UUCP>, earle@oblio.DEC (Mr. SPPR) writes:
> To those (one person in particular who wrote alot about it a couple of days
> ago) who can discuss this, I would like to know what happens to new car engine
> war- renties.   I have a 4-cyl. turbo engine that has a stipulation (as many
> probably do) that I change the oil every 3000 miles.  For my trip to work this
> change oc- curs about once every 33 days.  I used a synthetic oil once (total
> change) but went back to regular 'TURBO' accented oils later because of the
> cost.  It seemed to me that there was a BIG discrepancy in my car manuf.
> suggesting that I change the oil every 3000 miles and the (for example) MOBIL 1
> can suggesting that I could go for about 25000 miles.  Wait a minute.?!?

There is a phrase printed on containers of Mobil 1 (and Amsoil) that for
turbocharged and diesel engines, you should follow manufacturer's recommended
drain intervals.  I think that's pretty good advice, considering the strain
that a turbo puts on oil.  You could probably go a little longer with
synthetic, but I wouldn't try it.

> Will I void my warranty if I use MOBIL 1 or equiv. at 6000-7000 mile changes?
> Could I make a note on the receipt that I used MOBIL 1?  Would that suffice? Or
> 						George Earle
> 						DECVAX!DECWRL!RHEA!OBLIO!EARLE

I suspect you would void your warranty if you exceed the recommendations in the
owner's manual, no matter what brand or type of oil you use.  Since the manual
and the makers of the synthetic say you should stick to the same drain
interval, I would do so.  It's not worth taking chances.  I think a synthetic
would be very beneficial in a turbocharged engine, but as you have found out,
paying $3.50 a quart every three thousand miles gets quite expensive.

                          Dennis Gibbs