[net.auto.tech] Why used motor oil is supposed to be a good rust inhibitor?

In article <638@isrnix.UUCP>, greg@isrnix.UUCP (Gregory Travis) writes:

>On another note - does anyone know why USED motor oil is supposed to
>be such a great rust inhibitor (apart from oil's ability to simply
>displace water)?  My '70 Volvo 145 is beginning to rust in crevices
>on the body (under floormats, in gas tank compartment, etc..) and
>short of welding new metal I want to at least slow the rust to a
>negligible pace (some of it is in very difficult to get to places - hence
>my desire for something I can simply spray at the rust).  Anyone have
>some good ideas?
>--
>    Gregory R. Travis

While I can't say that I _KNOW_, I think I have a good guess.  The used oil
has a small amount of solvent (gasoline) suspended in it, which might make it
better for soaking into all the crevices of a rusted surface than new oil (the
rust flakes and metal itself are "wetted" better).  Some brands of rust-inhib-
itive paints (Rust-Oleum?) contain fish oils which are supposed to have the same
quality.  If the surface is well "wetted", it seems likely that there is less
chance for oil-less areas to become exposed and to allow further corrosion.
I have read (from a chemistry text I used in undergrad school) that a partial
covering of a rusty area is actually worse for propagation of rust than no
covering at all, so maybe this has something to do with it....

Maybe if a little gas was well mixed with new motor oil, the results would be
similar?  Anyhow, it does sound like a better use for old motor oil than just
pitching it out (though a little would go a LONG way).
|        skokie, illinois        |