[net.auto.tech] Internal Steam Clean

greg@isrnix.UUCP (Gregory Travis) (12/04/85)

I would think that pouring water down the carb throat(s) might be very
dangerous.  Depending on the quantity of water you might risk warping
the head or cracking the block from thermal shock.  The rule about
only adding water to a hot radiator if the engine is running came from
somewhere you know!

Old radial engines in airplanes had a 'water-injection'
system that the pilot could engage for a burst of power - the idea was
to temporarily convert from a gasoline engine to a gasoline/steam engine
(which is why cars tend to run a bit better on misty/rainy days).
However, the quantity of water used was small and it was atomized
into the combustion chamber.

On another note - does anyone know why USED motor oil is supposed to
be such a great rust inhibitor (apart from oil's ability to simply
displace water)?  My '70 Volvo 145 is beginning to rust in crevices
on the body (under floormats, in gas tank compartment, etc..) and
short of welding new metal I want to at least slow the rust to a
negligible pace (some of it is in very difficult to get to places - hence
my desire for something I can simply spray at the rust).  Anyone have
some good ideas?

--
    Gregory R. Travis
    Institute for Social Research - Indiana University - Bloomington, In

ksbszabo@watvlsi.UUCP (Kevin Szabo) (12/06/85)

>On another note - does anyone know why USED motor oil is supposed to
>be such a great rust inhibitor (apart from oil's ability to simply
>displace water)?  My '70 Volvo 145 is beginning to rust in crevices
>on the body (under floormats, in gas tank compartment, etc..) and
>short of welding new metal I want to at least slow the rust to a
>negligible pace (some of it is in very difficult to get to places - hence
>my desire for something I can simply spray at the rust).  Anyone have
>some good ideas?

First of all, let me verify that oil is indeed great.  After
living in Ottawa for 7 years, and now Waterloo, I make it a
habit to oil undercoat my car once or twice a year.

The `secret' is that the oil creeps into the crevices and over
the bare metal; once in place it prevents moisture & air
from oxidizing your metal.  There is nothing magical about
USED oil.  It is usually available and very cheap.  I
recently started using new oil that has an added 'tackifier' (sp?).
This is none other than chain-saw oil.  The fellow who
sprays my car only charges an extra $5 for this oil;  I use
it because it sticks better, makes less of a mess on the
driveway, and it looks nicer (it's transluscent red) than
the old used oil.

Regular tar undercoatings tend to make things worse after
7-10 years because they dry out.  Once in this state the tar
hangs off the body and presents many crevices for road salt
and moisture to lodge in.  Fortunately, a good oil spray
will usually put things back into shape.

You really should think about oil spraying BEFORE your car
sees its first winter!

				Kevin

P.S. My '70 Volvo 145s is still running after MUCH abuse by
     Canadian winters and municipal salt!
--
Kevin Szabo' watmath!watvlsi!ksbszabo (U of W VLSI Group, Waterloo, Ont, Canada)

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (12/07/85)

In article <638@isrnix.UUCP>, greg@isrnix.UUCP (Gregory Travis) writes:
> I would think that pouring water down the carb throat(s) might be very
> dangerous. [...]

An internal `cleaning' (de-varnishing) a method I recall (from *How to Keep
Your Volkswagen Alive*) is to slowly pour a quantity of diesel fuel down the
carburetor throat. Makes more sense than water, anyway.

> Old radial engines in airplanes had a 'water-injection'
> system that the pilot could engage for a burst of power - the idea was
> to temporarily convert from a gasoline engine to a gasoline/steam engine
> (which is why cars tend to run a bit better on misty/rainy days).
> However, the quantity of water used was small and it was atomized
> into the combustion chamber.

Water injection reduces preignition tendencies. Thus, higher average
combustion chamber pressures can be achieved. Water injection is popular
with turbocharger folks.

-Neal
--
55. It's a law we can do away with.
UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!neal

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (12/10/85)

> >On another note - does anyone know why USED motor oil is supposed to
> >be such a great rust inhibitor (apart from oil's ability to simply
> >displace water)?  My '70 Volvo 145 is beginning to rust in crevices
> >on the body (under floormats, in gas tank compartment, etc..) and
> >short of welding new metal I want to at least slow the rust to a
> >negligible pace (some of it is in very difficult to get to places - hence
> >my desire for something I can simply spray at the rust).  Anyone have
> >some good ideas?
>
> First of all, let me verify that oil is indeed great.  After
> living in Ottawa for 7 years, and now Waterloo, I make it a
> habit to oil undercoat my car once or twice a year.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but there is a product out
called 'Rust Reformer".  It is some kind of chemical that you paint directly
onto the rust itself.  It chemically converts the rust itself into rust
inhibitor.  The stuff works like a charm too!  I tried some on some rust on
my car that was coming in around the doors.  All I did was remove the old paint
that was there, painted some of this 'Rust Reformer' over the rust that was
left, and then lightly sanded over that and applied some touch up paint.  Looks
good as new and no rust is anywhere to be seen.
   You don't have to worry about getting all the rust out for fear of the rust
continuing to creep.  In fact, the more rust you leave, the more inhibitor
you get!  If you want more info, send me e-mail and I'll look up who makes
the stuff and some of the places you can get it...

--
     Adrian Zannin
..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin

svirsky@ttidcb.UUCP (William Svirsky) (12/11/85)

In article <638@isrnix.UUCP> greg@isrnix.UUCP (Gregory Travis) writes:
>short of welding new metal I want to at least slow the rust to a
>negligible pace (some of it is in very difficult to get to places - hence
>my desire for something I can simply spray at the rust).  Anyone have
>some good ideas?

I've been told about something called Dura-extend (SP?).  It's supposed to
actually change the rust to some inert substance.  You don't even
need to brush the metal clean.  Just brush it on.  The person I talked to
has had no re-occurence of rust on treated areas in at least 6 months.
--
Bill Svirsky
Citicorp/TTI

"I love it when a plan comes together."