[net.auto.tech] Disintegrating VW Seat - will it spread to engulf the world?

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (12/02/85)

I drive a 1977 VW diesel rabbit. Still think its a fantastic car except
for one thing: the right front seat seems to have been stuffed with straw
which has all crumbled to a powder leaving some springs and the leatherette
covering. The drivers seat is in fine condition.

As I sometimes (but not often) carry a passenger, can anyone suggest how
I can fix the right front seat for a reasonable cost (i.e., cheap!)?
Do I have to replace the whole thing? Suppose I got one from a junk
yard, wouldn't it suffer the same malady?  Anyone else had this
problem?

I guess I chose this newsgroup because I am really more interested in
an explanation of what has gone wrong than anything else.
--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

mmm@weitek.UUCP (Mark Thorson) (12/04/85)

In article <1521@hound.UUCP>, rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:
> I drive a 1977 VW diesel rabbit. Still think its a fantastic car except
> for one thing: the right front seat seems to have been stuffed with straw
>                                                                     ^^^^^
> I guess I chose this newsgroup because I am really more interested in
> an explanation of what has gone wrong than anything else.

You bought the wrong car.  You should've bought the kind of car I did.
It's made of sticks.

Mark Thorson  (...!cae780!weitek!mmm)

wdp@uvacs.UUCP (Bill Paris) (12/04/85)

I had the same problem with both front seats in my '76 Rabbit (i.e. the
straw-like material used to stuff the seats disintegrated leaving a mess
and incredably uncomfortable seats).

I fixed the seats by stuffing a layer of 1 inch foam into the seats above the
wire supports.  I also stuffed some into the seatbacks since lower back support
was nonexistant.  Comfort was immeasurably improved and the seats just about
stopped shedding that awful straw stuff (or there was nothing left to shed).

As for replacing the seats altogether--mine are available along with my car
in some junkyard in Western Massachusetts.

Bill Paris

haapanen@watdcsu.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (12/12/85)

In article <1521@hound.UUCP> rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) writes:

>I drive a 1977 VW diesel rabbit. ...
>... The right front seat seems to have been stuffed with straw
>which has all crumbled to a powder leaving some springs and the leatherette
>covering. The drivers seat is in fine condition.

Three choices:	(1) Buy new straw stuffing
		(2) Buy some foam and fit it to the seat
		(3) Buy new seat(s) from an auto wrecker

>...  Suppose I got one from a junk yard, wouldn't it suffer the same
> malady?  Anyone else had this problem?

If you buy a new seat, get a 1978 (or is it 1979?) or newer model.
These had a foam cushion as well as a seatback, and also are more
comfortable.  If you had fabric seats, the styles would have changed
but the leatherette should be the same style until 1980.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watdcsu!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979