[net.sf-lovers] Stories where H. sap. gets its come-uppance

bsa@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon Allbery) (09/14/85)

Expires:

Quoted from <3597@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> ["Re: Alien Lowlife in Star Wars"], by Miller.pasa@Xerox.ARPA...
+---------------
| Now all this makes for interesting reading, and it's bound to be good
| for our racial self-image, and it may well be (as I would like to
| believe in my more rational moments) that EVERY sentient species is
| distinctive enough to warrant having novels written about it, but just
| once (deep breath,) I'd like to see a story written where man gets his
| come-uppance-- where an alien race finds us and is bored because we're
| just like everybody else.  How would THAT affect our collective psyches,
| I ask you??!!??
|
| Anybody seen an interesting story about a boring race (i.e. us) ?
+---------------

Not exactly one, but I remember reading one of Niven's ``bar'' stories wherein
a chirpsithra reminisces about having come to Earth millions of years ago to
find that the intelligent life was poisoning itself with its output of those
deadly chemicals, oxygen and free water.  At the end, the bartender is left
wondring what the chirpsithra will think of whatever race replaces the humans...

I don't remember the story's title or where I read it (or a lot of other things,
as I'm sure the Niven fans out there will have noticed by now).

--bsa
--
/****************************************************************************\
* Brandon S Allbery, 6504 Chestnut, Independence, OH 44131  +01 216 524 1416 *

keen@inuxd.UUCP (D Keen) (09/20/85)

Back, back, don't eat this line.

There is a "classic" short story whose title and author will,
I'm sure, be supplied by some other netter in which a group of
non-humans and humans of various evolutionary types are
searching for the origin of humanity as a class.  The gist of
the conclusion is that humanity was a pest aboard a large and
temporally different races spaceships, ala, the rat, aboard
sailing ships.

Don Keen
AT&T something or other

Oh yes, AT&T's comments don't represent what I think and mine
certainly do not represent what AT&T might think.

mrh@cybvax0.UUCP (Mike Huybensz) (09/23/85)

In article <794@inuxd.UUCP> keen@inuxd.UUCP (D Keen) writes:
> There is a "classic" short story whose title and author will,
> I'm sure, be supplied by some other netter in which a group of
> non-humans and humans of various evolutionary types are
> searching for the origin of humanity as a class.  The gist of
> the conclusion is that humanity was a pest aboard a large and
> temporally different races spaceships, ala, the rat, aboard
> sailing ships.

In William Tenn's "Of Men And Monsters", the protagonists come to the
conclusion that the best niche for humans is as pests on the alien
conquorers' spaceships.

I highly recommend all of Tenn's SF.
--

Mike Huybensz		...decvax!genrad!mit-eddie!cybvax0!mrh

grady@ucbvax.ARPA (Steven Grady) (09/28/85)

On the otherside of the coin, I recall a story (book?) wherein
the upstart new Earthlings first come out into space, after having
been given the technology for space drive, and suddenly the galaxy
finds itself up a creek, because the humans are conniving, conning,
and in general swindling the other people of the galaxy, because
it turns out the humans are just plain smarter than the other races.

Just out of curiosity, anyone got a name for this story?

	Steven

markb@sdcrdcf.UUCP (Mark Biggar) (09/30/85)

In article <10483@ucbvax.ARPA> grady@ucbvax.UUCP (Steven Grady) writes:
>On the otherside of the coin, I recall a story (book?) wherein
>the upstart new Earthlings first come out into space, after having
>been given the technology for space drive, and suddenly the galaxy
>finds itself up a creek, because the humans are conniving, conning,
>and in general swindling the other people of the galaxy, because
>it turns out the humans are just plain smarter than the other races.
>Just out of curiosity, anyone got a name for this story?

Try "Pandora's Planet" by C. Anvil.

Mark Biggar
{allegra,burdvax,cbosgd,hplabs,ihnp4,akgua,sdcsvax}!sdcrdcf!markb