[net.auto.tech] oil, ARCO Graphite

guzman@ttidcb.UUCP (Marc Guzman) (12/10/85)

[ bug food ]

	Even with all this talk about oil, I've seen no mention of ARCO
graphite. Does anyone have extensive experience with it. I used it for a
short while, then finally gave it up, could'nt tell what was happening
in my engine. The stuff went in black and came out black, not much change.

	Does the graphite stay in suspension? Can it clog the filter?
Does the graphite hang on the engine components when the engine is turned
off? (seems to conflict with staying in suspension). What about mixing
it with other oils? Can the graphite CAUSE wear ? Once an engine wears
and loses tolerance can the oil+graphite crud up the cylinders and
plugs.

			Thanks.
				Marc A. Guzman

bellas@ttidcb.UUCP (Pete Bellas) (12/11/85)

In article <569@ttidcb.UUCP> guzman@ttidcb.UUCP (Marc Guzman) writes:

>       Even with all this talk about oil, I've seen no mention of ARCO
>graphite. Does anyone have extensive experience with it.

I wouldn't call it _extensive_ experience, but I have used it enough
to know I would never use or recommend it again!  The engines ran
easier and got better gas mileage, they also ate engine parts at an
alarming rate.  A pinto 2000cc 4 banger ate a cam after only 8000 mi.
of arco graphite and a 302cid small block ate a set of rod and main
bearings.  I have built a lot of engines and they all last 150,000+
miles (unless I made the mistake of putting arco graphite in it!!!).

I wouldn't use it if they were giving it away free!

            -Pete-

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (12/11/85)

I tried ARCO graphite in my transmission (I have a Honda Civic which
uses engine oil in the transmission) with poor results. After a few
months things started sticking and when the transmission was torn down
globs of black gunk could be found everywhere. Because the flow of oil
was thus impeded several gears were burned. It was an expensive,
inconvenient repair.

This is not to say this will happen to you. If you like to live
dangerously, feel free. But you should consider the expected value
of this, the likely benefits and the possible risks. As I see it,
the likely benefits are rather small.--
 Even lefties have rights!

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

hlau@amd.UUCP (Harry Lau) (12/12/85)

This message is empty.

kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) (12/13/85)

I used Arco Graphite once and found that it tends to leak oil more than
normal oil and for that reason alone I decided I never wanted to use to
agian.  It said something about improving gas milage and that is why I tried
it but I didn't notice any difference.

                                        Kemasa.

gadfly@ihuxn.UUCP (Gadfly) (12/17/85)

--
> I tried ARCO graphite in my transmission (I have a Honda Civic which
> uses engine oil in the transmission) with poor results. After a few
> months things started sticking and when the transmission was torn down
> globs of black gunk could be found everywhere. Because the flow of oil
> was thus impeded several gears were burned. It was an expensive,
> inconvenient repair.

I used ARCO graphite in my motorcycle many years back.  It worked
fine, but I stopped using it because (1) any clothing it gets on
is stained forever, but more importantly (2) it is impossible to
"read" your dirty oil for signs of contaminants or pieces of metal--
it's black as coal out of the can and stays that way.
--
                    *** ***
JE MAINTIENDRAI   ***** *****