[net.auto.tech] harsh transmission engagement

chen@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/02/85)

  The automatic transmission of my '77 Plymouth Volare is producing a
heavy thump when shifted from Neutral to either Reverse or Drive.
The harshness of the transmission engagement is roughly proportional to
the idling speed. The thump can jolt the car at cold idle speed (1400 rpm),
but is tolerable at hot idle (700 rpm). The level and quality of the
transmission fluid has been checked out fine, the idle speeds are
also alright.  Other than the stated problem the trasmission works fine
(no delay, no slippage). I would appreciate any pointer
to the probable cause of the problem. Thanks.

Kaihu Chen
{ihnp4,vonvex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!chen
chen!uiuc@cs-net.arpa
chen@uiuc.arpa

saf@bonnie.UUCP (Steve Falco) (12/03/85)

>   The automatic transmission of my '77 Plymouth Volare is producing a
> heavy thump when shifted from Neutral to either Reverse or Drive.

A thump usually indicates "play" in the drivetrain.  The usual cause is
a worn universal joint in the driveshaft.  These are pretty easy to
change if you have access to a large enough vise to press the old
bearings out and a set of large sockets (you use them as "pressing
pistons").

	Steve Falco

ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP (Earle A .Sugar) (12/03/85)

>   The automatic transmission of my '77 Plymouth Volare is producing a
> heavy thump when shifted from Neutral to either Reverse or Drive.
> The harshness of the transmission engagement is roughly proportional to
> the idling speed. The thump can jolt the car at cold idle speed (1400 rpm),
> but is tolerable at hot idle (700 rpm). The level and quality of the
> transmission fluid has been checked out fine, the idle speeds are
> also alright.  Other than the stated problem the trasmission works fine
> (no delay, no slippage). I would appreciate any pointer
> to the probable cause of the problem. Thanks.
>

> Kaihu Chen
> {ihnp4,vonvex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!chen

The problem may be elsewhere in the driveline.  Worn U-joints on your driveshaft,
a worn differential, etc. may cause a clunk when the transmission is engaged
from neutral or park into drive or reverse.

Earle A. Sugar
Disclaimer:"I doubt anyone else here agrees with me."
          USENET: ...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!aplcen!jhunix!ins_aeas
          CSNET:ins_aeas@jhunix.csnet
          ARPA:ins_aeas%jhunix.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
	  BITNET: INS_BEAS@JHUVMS (as a last resort)
	  or call 301-889-0815 after 6 P.M. EST

sat@tifsie (12/04/85)

> /* ---------- "harsh transmission engagement" ---------- */
>   The automatic transmission of my '77 Plymouth Volare is producing a
> heavy thump when shifted from Neutral to either Reverse or Drive.
> The harshness of the transmission engagement is roughly proportional to
> the idling speed. The thump can jolt the car at cold idle speed (1400 rpm),
> but is tolerable at hot idle (700 rpm). The level and quality of the
> transmission fluid has been checked out fine, the idle speeds are
> also alright.  Other than the stated problem the trasmission works fine
> (no delay, no slippage). I would appreciate any pointer
> to the probable cause of the problem. Thanks.

Check your universal joints, if they're loose (loose bearings) they could
cause the `thump' you describe.  The thump would be proportional to the
engine speed.  An easy way to check it out is to reach under the car
and twist the crank shaft (make sure the car is not running and that it
is in Park).  If there is play (slop) at either the front or rear U-joint,
I would suggest that both joints be replaced at the same time.

If it's not the universal joints, you might want to also check the motor
mounts (loose or broken), however, this is more of a wild guess.

		Good Luck.

    Scott @ {convex!smu, rice, texsun}!tilde!tifsie!sat

billj@rocksvax.UUCP (Bill Jeffers) (12/05/85)

In article <1336@jhunix.UUCP> ins_aeas@jhunix.UUCP (Earle A .Sugar) writes:

>>   The automatic transmission of my '77 Plymouth Volare is producing a
>> heavy thump when shifted from Neutral to either Reverse or Drive.
>> The harshness of the transmission engagement is roughly proportional to
>> the idling speed. The thump can jolt the car at cold idle speed (1400 rpm),
>> but is tolerable at hot idle (700 rpm). The level and quality of the
>> transmission fluid has been checked out fine, the idle speeds are
>> also alright.  Other than the stated problem the trasmission works fine
>> (no delay, no slippage). I would appreciate any pointer
>> to the probable cause of the problem. Thanks.
>> Kaihu Chen
>> {ihnp4,vonvex,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!chen
>The problem may be elsewhere in the driveline.  Worn U-joints on your driveshaft,
>a worn differential, etc. may cause a clunk when the transmission is engaged
>from neutral or park into drive or reverse.
>
>Earle A. Sugar

This may also be normal. Automatic transmissions can object to being put in gear
at 1400 rpm (a little high). The cold idle speed can be adjusted but stalling
problems may result. If it was my car I would adjust the cold idle down to about
1000 and try it. If stalling occurs tweak it back up. Anyone know what the
service manual says the cold idle speed should be.

the slower the idle speed the smoother the engagement.

					Billj

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (12/07/85)

>   The automatic transmission of my '77 Plymouth Volare is producing a
> heavy thump when shifted from Neutral to either Reverse or Drive.
> The harshness of the transmission engagement is roughly proportional to
> the idling speed. The thump can jolt the car at cold idle speed (1400 rpm),
> but is tolerable at hot idle (700 rpm). The level and quality of the
> transmission fluid has been checked out fine, the idle speeds are
> also alright.  Other than the stated problem the trasmission works fine
> (no delay, no slippage). I would appreciate any pointer
> to the probable cause of the problem. Thanks.

One thing you might want to consider is to check the universal joints on the
driveshaft itself.  If you at times hear a metallic like "klink" when the
transmission engages, then it probably is your universal joints.  To roughly
describe what is happening, imagine two of those trick rings that a magician
uses.  Imagine them interlooped, with the plane of one ring perpendicular to
the other.  Now hold one ring steady with one hand and give the other ring a
sharp 90-degree twist.  Notice how it contacts with the other ring?  This is
what happens when your universal joints are worn.  I would suggest having it
checked out as soon as possible, because even though you may not notice it while
you are driving, the same thing is constantly happening as you drive, and
accelerate, decelerate, stop, start, etc.  Eventually you will actually break
the universal joint and/or drive shaft, and if it is really bad, you could even
drop the driveshaft itself (it happened to me!).  Good luck and let me know how
yo made out...
--
     Adrian Zannin
..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin

rjs@hpfcla.UUCP (12/14/85)

Despite the fact that everyone here is mentioning U-joints, I suspect
that you are experiencing some play in the rear-end. Chrysler products
are notorious for this as well as other read-end noise as they get older.

If you can reduce you idle some it will help. If you want to spend the
bucks you could have the rear-end rebuilt but this is typically
expensive. My best suggestion is that you just live with it. As noisy as
I have ever heard any chrysler rear-end I have have never seen one fail.

I had a 1974 Dodge Monaco with the posi rear-end (this was the first
year they went from the plates to cones in the posi rear-ends) that
would vibrate the hell out of the car under 15 mph. However, the car
still went for over 100,000 miles and died for lots of other reasons
NOT including the rear-end.

Bob Schneider
ihnp4!hpfcla!hpfcll!rjs

chen@uiucdcsb.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/25/85)

  I received many responses regrading the harsh (automatic)
transmission engagement problem I posted sometime ago. Most responses
I received suggest worn-out u-joints, but the u-joints were replaced
to no avail. Upon careful examination of the drive train, I found out
that most people were at least partially right - the problem is
indeed caused by excessive play in the drive train. However, in my
case the source of play seems to come from BEFORE the transmission output
shaft (not BETWEEN the transmission output shaft and the drive shaft).
I was able to turn the drive shaft clockwise/counterclockwise
almost a full half inch before hearing a slight click.
There is also slight, probably ignorable, play in the differential as
another response has predicted. As the problem has turned out
to be much more expensive than I am willing to pay for an old car,
I am most likely going to leave it alone. Thanks again for all of you
who suggest a fix.

Kaihu Chen
chen@uiuc.arpa
Department of Computer Science