[net.auto.tech] oil mixing and annoyance

mjs@g.cs.cmu.edu (Mark Stehlik) (12/24/85)

I found the following exchange mildly annoying:

> In article <2398@amdahl.UUCP> ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) writes:
> >My car manual says ~' Use 10W40'.  So I want to use 10w40.
> >Mobil 1 comes in 5w30 and 15w50.  (I think...)
> >Could I get 10w40 by mixing equal parts of each?
>
> No need to. The spec sheet for Mobil 1 10w-30 says that it could be used in
> applications requiring 10w-40.  I believe that is because at the higher
> temperatures, it does not thin out as fast as regular oil.

And I think it is because Mobil doesn't want the expense of starting
up another product line.  But regardless of cause; *My manual says
to use 10w40*.  I *WANT* 10w40.  Not something someone thinks is
close enough.  Can I get it by mixing the other weights?

Look, Mr. Smith, the response to your post was perfectly reasonable.  I
doubt that many readers of this newgroup are polymer chemists and can
answer your question without prefacing their remarks with 'I think'.

If you *WANT* 10w40, you'll just have to do without Mobil 1.  If you *WANT*
Mobil 1, CALL THEIR PRODUCT SERVICE REP and see if you can mix the products.
I THINK not - oils of different viscosity are not likely to mix to give
you intermediate values.  Of course, this is only based on my experience
and is, after all, my OPINION.

Don't beat on someone because he's trying to be helpful and it so happens
that he's not the person you want him to be (i.e. a technical rep for the
blasted company).

				Mark
--

ARPA:  mjs@cmu-cs-g
--

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (12/27/85)

> I found the following exchange mildly annoying:
>
> > In article <2398@amdahl.UUCP> ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) writes:
> > >My car manual says ~' Use 10W40'.  So I want to use 10w40.
> > >Mobil 1 comes in 5w30 and 15w50.  (I think...)
> > >Could I get 10w40 by mixing equal parts of each?
> >
> > No need to. The spec sheet for Mobil 1 10w-30 says that it could be used in
> > applications requiring 10w-40.   ...
>
> ...                                                *My manual says
> to use 10w40*.  I *WANT* 10w40.  Not something someone thinks is
> close enough.  Can I get it by mixing the other weights?

> Look, Mr. Smith, the response to your post was perfectly reasonable.  I
> doubt that many readers of this newgroup are polymer chemists and can
> answer your question without prefacing their remarks with 'I think'.

I have no complaint with the use of 'I think' as a disclaimer.

> If you *WANT* 10w40, you'll just have to do without Mobil 1.
>               oils of different viscosity are not likely to mix to give
> you intermediate values.  Of course, this is only based on my experience
> and is, after all, my OPINION.
>
> Don't beat on someone because he's trying to be helpful and it so happens
> that he's not the person you want him to be (i.e. a technical rep for the
> blasted company).
>
> 				Mark

Mark,
My original post asked a specific question.  I got a reply to a
different question.  I re-asked my question with greater emphasis
to avoid further misunderstanding of the question, not to 'beat on'
anyone.  Please remember that the 'tone of voice' used when reading
a piece of text is your own, and not necessarily that of the author.
As I see it there are two main ways to emphasize a piece
of text:  * before and after *,and CAPS. Some folks don't have lower
case. I use an '*' to indicate text needing particular attention.
The emphasis on 'I want 10w40' was increased to clarify the question.

If this offended you, or anyone else, I am sorry and offer my appology.

Informed guesses prefaced with 'I think' or the equal are fine with me.
I do not expect anyone to be an expert.  I do hope that someone who
has an idea on the subject can offer it.

Back to the technical stuff:

The information that 10w30 is ok per Mobil for 10w40 use doesn't
change the manufacturers recomendation of 10w40.  Mobil may think
10w30 is OK, but they didn't build my car.  It is not 10w40.
A mix of other grades might be.  (And I can't find 10w30 Mobil 1
in this area...)

Well auto.tech'ies, what happens when one mixes different
weights of oil?  Any ideas?
--
E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything.