[net.auto.tech] Speedometer limits

cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh) (12/17/85)

In a most interesting article, "mikey at bbimg" (trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey)
noted:

> pss.  All the new 86 Chryslers have a 125MPH speedo in their brochures
> except the OMNI/Charger series!  For those, they are available at extra
> cost.  55, an idea whose time has passed.

WOW, does this mean that all the new 86 Chryslers can go 125MPH (except the
OMNI/Charger series - available at extra cost)!! Because, like I'm sure
that a car can't, you know, go any faster than, and like it's top speed is
no slower than, like the maximum number on the speedometer.

Seriously, though, what's the regulation behind the maximum numbers on a
speedometer? How come the majority of them went to 85MPH some years back?
Why the change back to big numbers AND, if there is some "law" limiting
the largest number on the dashboard, does it apply to foreign cars
also - my 325e's speedo goes to 140+.

Also, if a rip the stopper pin out of a speedometer (the pin the needle hits
at max mph), is the needle movement still "linear" (given that the actual
motion is circular)?

Any insight to questions posed will be appreciated.

                          Chris Rosebrugh
                          GTE Laboratories, Waltham, Mass.
                          !harvard!bunny!cpr0

hsu@eneevax.UUCP (Dave Hsu) (12/18/85)

In article <272@bunny.UUCP> cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh) writes:
>In a most interesting article, "mikey at bbimg" (trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey)
>noted:
>> pss.  All the new 86 Chryslers have a 125MPH speedo in their brochures
>> except the OMNI/Charger series!  For those, they are available at extra
>> cost.  55, an idea whose time has passed.
>
>Seriously, though, what's the regulation behind the maximum numbers on a
>speedometer? How come the majority of them went to 85MPH some years back?
>Why the change back to big numbers AND, if there is some "law" limiting
>the largest number on the dashboard, does it apply to foreign cars
>also - my 325e's speedo goes to 140+.

Maybe we should compile the high numbers.  The Mercedes 500 SEL speedo goes
to (an optimistic) 160.

>Also, if a rip the stopper pin out of a speedometer (the pin the needle hits
>at max mph), is the needle movement still "linear" (given that the actual
>motion is circular)?
>                          Chris Rosebrugh

More importantly, if I achieve velocies high enough to bang the needle on
one of the knobs (trip odometer?) in its way, will it become uncalibrated?

-dave
--
David Hsu	Communication & Signal Processing Lab, EE Department
<disclaimer>	University of Maryland,  College Park, MD 20742

mberns@ut-ngp.UUCP (Mark Bernstein) (12/18/85)

> From: cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh)
> ...Seriously, though, what's the regulation behind the maximum numbers on a
> speedometer? How come the majority of them went to 85MPH some years back?

I can't answer some of the other questions, but it was my understanding
that when the Feds mandated 55 mph speed limits, there was an attempt
to create a psychological incentive of sorts for people to get used to
and obey that limit.   Since relatively few cars could actually go as fast
as 100 mph (let alone 140), putting 85 or so (it was arbitrary) as the
top end of the speedometer would be more "realistic".  The psychological
angle was supposedly that with a higher-reading speedometer, a driver
would see all that room "above" 55 and have a tendency to push the pedal
to the floor, since 55 itself would seem "pokey" (at least as viewed on
the speedometer dial itself).  Having the limit at 85 would make 55 seem
"faster" (insofar as it would look "higher" on the dial), and thus
discourage people from going faster.  Note that on such speedometers, 55 is
also highlighted in some way (printed in red, or whatever).   You can
figure out for yourself whether this strategy makes any sense or worked
at all.

Why the Dept. of Transportation changed the law "back" again is a mystery
to me.

- Mark Bernstein (UT - Austin, Speech)

fritz@phri.UUCP (Dave Fritzinger) (12/18/85)

> Seriously, though, what's the regulation behind the maximum numbers on a
> speedometer? How come the majority of them went to 85MPH some years back?
> Why the change back to big numbers AND, if there is some "law" limiting
> the largest number on the dashboard, does it apply to foreign cars
> also - my 325e's speedo goes to 140+.
>

>                           Chris Rosebrugh
>                           GTE Laboratories, Waltham, Mass.
>                           !harvard!bunny!cpr0

A few years back, our gummint in all its wisdom (:-)), decided that all those
big numbers on the speedo made us want to go FAST, to see if we could peg the
thing.  So, they thought that a speedometer with a maximum speed of 85mph would
cause us to slow down-dumb logic, huh?  Anyway, they have since realized the
error of their ways, saw that 85mph speedometers weren't slowing anyone down,
and decreed that speedos with higher numbers were ok again.  Now, if only they
would do the same thing with the double nickle...
--
Dave Fritzinger, Public Health Research Institute, NY,NY
{allegra!phri!fritz}

"I think. I think I am. Therefore, I am,...I think."

					Moody Blues

grr@unirot.UUCP (George Robbins) (12/19/85)

In article <272@bunny.UUCP> cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh) writes:

>Also, if a rip the stopper pin out of a speedometer (the pin the needle hits
>at max mph), is the needle movement still "linear" (given that the actual
>motion is circular)?
>
>               Chris Rosebrugh GTE Laboratories, Waltham, Mass.
>                          !harvard!bunny!cpr0

Maybe, but there is a better way.  The trick is to get a little gearbox that
is inserted in the spedometer cable.  With the appropriate gear ratio, you
can use the KPH scale to indicate miles/hour.  I understand that shops that
specialize in spedometer repair, etc. stock these little devils...
--
George Robbins			uucp:	{unirot|tapa}!grr
P.O. Box 177

sutter@osu-eddie.UUCP (Bob Sutterfield) (12/19/85)

> >Also, if a rip the stopper pin out of a speedometer (the pin the needle hits
> >at max mph), is the needle movement still "linear" (given that the actual
> >motion is circular)?
> >                          Chris Rosebrugh
>
> More importantly, if I achieve velocies high enough to bang the needle on
> one of the knobs (trip odometer?) in its way, will it become uncalibrated?
>
> -dave
> --
> David Hsu

Once the needle hits the little knob, the speedometer cable can't push it
any further.  This is a mechanical device that acts as a speed regulator -
your car @i(can't) go any faster because of the torque required to try and
push the needle through the knob shaft.  This is probably why Chris wanted
to rip the pin out, to increase his car's top available speed. :-)

--
    Human: Bob Sutterfield
           Facilities Management Division

john@frog.UUCP (John Woods, Software) (12/20/85)

>> From: cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh)
>> ...Seriously, though, what's the regulation behind the maximum numbers on a
>> speedometer? How come the majority of them went to 85MPH some years back?
>
> I can't answer some of the other questions, but it was my understanding
> that when the Feds mandated 55 mph speed limits, there was an attempt
> to create a psychological incentive of sorts for people to get used to
> and obey that limit.
>
> Why the Dept. of Transportation changed the law "back" again is a mystery
> to me.
>
> - Mark Bernstein (UT - Austin, Speech)

It's probably very simple -- during the slump in auto sales, the auto
manufacturers lobbied the DOT to get rid of this restriction that was
preventing them from selling cars.  Obviously, if fewer people were buying
cars, it must be because people weren't being lured into automobile showrooms
with visions of raw power.  Of course, we all know that the recession and the
Japanese had nothing to do with this...... :-)

--
John Woods, Charles River Data Systems, Framingham MA, (617) 626-1101
...!decvax!frog!john, ...!mit-eddie!jfw, jfw%mit-ccc@MIT-XX.ARPA

Out of my way, I'm a scientist!
	War of the Worlds

prins@cornell.UUCP (Jan Prins) (12/21/85)

I think part of the reasoning in the 85 mph legislation was that a smaller
scale would encourage higher resolution in the speedometers.  Most pre-55
speedometers read in increments of 10 mph (one famous speedometer only
shows multiples of 30 mph), which makes "55" a matter of estimation.
Perhaps the improved accuracy was actually required by the legislation?

"Pegging" a speedometer shouldn't bother it very much, the indicator is solid
enough not to bend or break, and the coupling to the cable is electromagnetic.
It probably happens quite often with those 85 mph speedometers.

jan  {vax135, decvax, ihnp4, uw-beaver}!cornell!prins
     prins@gvax.cs.cornell.edu

gpw@ihlpf.UUCP (Wilkin) (12/23/85)

> jan  {vax135, decvax, ihnp4, uw-beaver}!cornell!prins
>      prins@gvax.cs.cornell.edu

We all left net.auto because of this kind of discussion
please stop!
gpw
--

George Wilkin AT&T Network Systems   usenet ihnp4!ihlpf!gpw
312-979-6593 work

dave@cylixd.UUCP (Dave Kirby) (12/27/85)

In article <249@ihlpf.UUCP> gpw@ihlpf.UUCP (Wilkin) writes:

>> jan  {vax135, decvax, ihnp4, uw-beaver}!cornell!prins
>>      prins@gvax.cs.cornell.edu
>
>We all left net.auto because of this kind of discussion
>please stop!

No, don't stop; just move the discussion to net.auto where you will
find a much more appreciative audience.