[net.auto.tech] Speedometer Limits, Shark Hunts

neal@weitek.UUCP (Neal Bedard) (12/18/85)

In article <272@bunny.UUCP>, cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh) writes:

> Seriously, though, what's the regulation behind the maximum numbers on a
> speedometer? How come the majority of them went to 85MPH some years back?
> Why the change back to big numbers AND, if there is some "law" limiting
> the largest number on the dashboard, does it apply to foreign cars
> also - my 325e's speedo goes to 140+.

140+? Wishful thinking, perhaps. :-)

The requirment came into being with the 55 mph speed limit. As Mikey
implied, the recent lifting of this requirment (1984 model year, I think)
reflects a changing attitude toward the 55. How can anyone forget that the
lifting of that misguided law was one of Re-Ron Reagan's long since
forgotten Republican coronation - er, convention - platform planks...

> Also, if a rip the stopper pin out of a speedometer (the pin the needle hits
> at max mph), is the needle movement still "linear" (given that the actual
> motion is circular)?
>
> Any insight to questions posed will be appreciated.

And now for the Technical Advice, since this is net.auto.tech, not
net.auto.vanishing-point:

Gee, Chris, why not just use your tach instead? If in my car 2500 rpm = 55 mph
in fifth gear, then redline = 143 mph. Weeeeeee!!!!!

>                           Chris Rosebrugh

I realize that the bulk of this article was non-technical. May I suggest that
further discussion on this topic be taken up in net.auto.

To the motoring enthusiast, the only meaningful limit is that of adhesion. :-)

-Neal
--
55. It's a law we can do away with.
UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!neal

bsisrs@rruxe.UUCP (R. Schiraldi) (12/20/85)

>> Also, if a rip the stopper pin out of a speedometer (the pin the needle hits
>> at max mph), is the needle movement still "linear" (given that the actual
>> motion is circular)?
>>
>> Any insight to questions posed will be appreciated.
>
>And now for the Technical Advice, since this is net.auto.tech, not
>net.auto.vanishing-point:
>
>Gee, Chris, why not just use your tach instead? If in my car 2500 rpm = 55 mph
>in fifth gear, then redline = 143 mph. Weeeeeee!!!!!

And what about us poor souls that don't have a tach, Chebby in
their finite wisdome felt it best to only install a fuel gauge (that
is never accurate!!) and a speedo.  I have looked into putting real
gauges in my piece of sh.. uh I mean my car, but there isn't any
room :-(.  The only thing I can do is to install some dynamite in
the tail pipe and hope the insurance will cover it ;-)

Rich Schiraldi (one day left and counting....)

cpr0@bunny.UUCP (C. Rosebrugh) (12/22/85)

by mail, but we don't mail too well around here).
My original questions:

> > Seriously, though, what's the regulation behind the maximum numbers on a
> > speedometer? How come the majority of them went to 85MPH some years back?
> > Why the change back to big numbers AND, if there is some "law" limiting
> > the largest number on the dashboard, does it apply to foreign cars
> > also - my 325e's speedo goes to 140+.
>
> 140+? Wishful thinking, perhaps. :-)
Actually, speedo goes to 150. No, not really wishful thinking - had it
at 125 on the Mass. Pike Eastbound yesterday, along with a 5-series
Bimmer. That's about where the old "Eta" engines stops, though.

(The only sensible part of the response was here.)

> > Also, if a rip the stopper pin out of a speedometer (the pin the needle hits
> > at max mph), is the needle movement still "linear" (given that the actual
> > motion is circular)?
> Gee, Chris, why not just use your tach instead? If in my car 2500 rpm = 55 mph
> in fifth gear, then redline = 143 mph. Weeeeeee!!!!!
Brilliant, but how many cars have a tach?!! Weeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!
And, how many engines have the high end torque to follow your formula
of top speed!!! Weeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!  Weee!!! - do you leave your
car out of gear while you pour on the gas in the same way you leave
your brain out of gear while you pour on the words?!!
> I realize that the bulk of this article was non-technical. May I suggest that
> further discussion on this topic be taken up in net.auto.
What's not technical about the gearing and the pinning of a speedometer?!
In another article, someone says that pinning a speedo doesn't do anything
to it (since coupled electromagnetically), but a friend has a Saab 900s
whose needled was pinned, and subsequently uncalibrated, twice.
> -Neal -- he's one we can do away with.
> UUCP: {turtlevax, resonex, cae780}!weitek!neal
Thanks to those who responded with useful info.

      Chris Rosebrugh, GTE Labs, Waltham, Mass. !harvard!bunny!cpr0

mikey@techsup (01/03/86)

Actually, I was told the 85 speedo went west because of some federal
corporate paperwork reduction act passed in 1980.  Since the 85 speedo
was a control of the fed on the manufacture and required reams of
forms, it was one of the first to go.

mikey
trsvax!techsup!bbimg!mikey

ps.  55, you all know by now.