[net.auto.tech] Where do you put the oil?

obrien@randvax.UUCP (Michael O'Brien) (12/16/85)

I have an embarassingly simple question: I'm about to do my own oil
change.  I've done lots of tuneups, pump replacements, etc. but for
whatever reason have never changed my own oil.  The question is, what
do I do with the old oil?  Service stations probably have disposal services,
but what can I do to make sure that my car's old oil won't wind up as
a slick on the Santa Monica Bay?

					Mike O'Brien

kemasa@sdcc13.UUCP (kemasa) (12/19/85)

As I understand it service stations get paid for the oil for recycling.
If you bring it to them most will accept it and you just pour it into
there sump.  Some stations may not want it because they don't know
what has happened to, ie putting it in a chemical bottle, but I
had no problem getting rid of it, just had to wait until they were
done using it.  I got a container made for doing that, with a cap and
a hole in the side to act like a drain pan and it goes into it.  My
father and brother both have them and my brother suggested that I get the
kind with a small air hole with a plug of course because his bubbled
a little and made a slight mess.

					Kemasa.

weil@dataioDataio.UUCP (Steve Weil) (12/21/85)

Call (800) rec-ycle .  They know about recycling stations all over the place.
I was surprised to find that a local oil-change shop would cheerfully take my
oil.

rm@faust.UUCP (12/21/85)

**  Replate kiss vine with core message  **

I'm not sure how it works in your state, but here in Massachusetts
you can take used oil back to any place that you bought new oil.
A lot of places can't be bothered with collecting it, so it'll just
end up in the "bay" if you bring it there.  Service stations and other
places that collect a lot of used oil have the facilities to collect
and store it.  Ask the folks at the place you buy gas or service if
they'll take it.

R.M. Mottola
Intermetrics Inc.
Cambridge, MA.

(Back again, and better than ever.  Note new address.)

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (01/05/86)

In article <880@dataioDataio.UUCP> weil@dataio.UUCP (Steve Weil writes:
>Call (800) rec-ycle .  They know about recycling stations all over the place.
>I was surprised to find that a local oil-change shop would cheerfully take my
>oil.

The reason that they "cheerfully take your oil" is because they sell
it to oil reclaimers.  I don't drain enough oil to make it profitable
but one could sell used oil and make some money at it.