[net.auto.tech] Diesel problems

gershon@ccicpg.UUCP ( Gershon Shamay) (12/13/85)

<this line for the hungry bears>

   I am the lucky (or is it unlucky) owner of a GM Oldsmobile Diesel
station wagon (1981). Lately, I'm having problems starting it at quite
random times. "Glow plugs" was an immediate reply I got at the
service station. But that's not it. It starts right away in the
morning, even after cold nights (well, at least as cold as they get
here in California). And while changing oil, etc, the same service
station concluded that the glow plugs are OK.
   More about the behaviour. I was usually starting it in the morning,
driving to my office and the car was parked there until 5-6 PM. Mostly
in the sun, quite warm. Then, at 5-6 PM it wouldn't start. Meaning I
have to crank it for about 30-40 seconds until it decided to start.
Once started, it drives A-OK, no problems whatsoever. After a short stop
(15-20 minutes) it would start fine. Only prolonged warming in the sun
seemed to make a difference. When finaly starting, a cloud of white
smoke come off the exhaust pipe, after which there's only an almost
invisible white smoke (condensation ?) for the rest of the drive.
   Lately the problem happens more often at random times (and temperatures).
The fuel injector pump is almost new (10k miles). But the service station
told me that pressure is above normal in the cooling system, thereby
suspecting a head gasket leak.
   I'll appreciate input from anyone who had this type of experience and
can tell me what the reason is.

                {rlgvax, ccice5, dagobah, peregrine}!ccicpg!gershon
From: gershon@ccicpg.UUCP ( Gershon Shamay)
Newsgroups: net.auto.tech
Subject: Diesel problems
Date: 12 Dec 85 21:18:54 GMT