[net.sf-lovers] SF-LOVERS Digest V10 #374

BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA (09/23/85)

From: Bard Bloom <BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA>

Re: Light-sabres and blasters

Maybe light-sabres are more expensive than blasters?  Or maybe it
costs more (money, time, talent) to train people in light-sabre than
in blaster?

Or perhaps light-sabres are more sporting (you can run from them, sometimes)
and not appropriate for the Empire to use.

Or maybe you can learn to use the Force from light-sabre training, and
the Empire doesn't want ten billion grunts running around with
moderate skill in the Force.  Who knows?  Maybe one of them will be
stronger than Darth Vader.

Bard, whom the Force is not with.

-------

hollombe@ttidcc.UUCP (The Polymath) (09/25/85)

In article <3748@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA writes:
>From: Bard Bloom <BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA>
>Maybe light-sabres are more expensive than blasters?  Or maybe it
>costs more (money, time, talent) to train people in light-sabre than
>in blaster?
>
>Or perhaps light-sabres are more sporting (you can run from them, sometimes)
>and not appropriate for the Empire to use.
>
>Or maybe you can learn to use the Force from light-sabre training, and
>the Empire doesn't want ten billion grunts running around with
>moderate skill in the Force.  Who knows?  Maybe one of them will be
>stronger than Darth Vader.

I'm jumping in blindfolded here because our  news  software  was  down  for
almost  2  weeks and I've missed a lot.  This appears to be a discussion of
why Jedi use light sabers and Imperial Storm Troopers don't.

For a pretty good discussion of why modern soldiers  aren't  equipped  with
swords see Heinlein's _Glory Road_.

The basic premise is that almost any moron can be taught to point and shoot
a  rifle  in  a  matter  of weeks.  To be seriously good with a sword takes
_years_ of loving practice.

The sword is, in some ways, a superior weapon.  It's better  for  close-in,
hand  to  hand  combat  and  it  never jams or runs out of ammunition.  The
training factor is what makes it impractical for use by grunts.

There is the problem that a blaster allows  attack  from  a  distance.  The
Jedi  appear  to  get around this by being so good they can deflect blaster
bolts with their sabers.  Imagine trying to teach  _that_  technique  to  a
platoon of raw storm-trooper recruits (evolution in action? (-: ).

-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
The Polymath (aka: Jerry Hollombe)
Citicorp(+)TTI                    Common Sense is what tells you that a ten
3100 Ocean Park Blvd.             pound weight falls ten times as fast as a
Santa Monica, CA  90405           one pound weight.
(213) 450-9111, ext. 2483
{philabs,randvax,trwrb,vortex}!ttidca!ttidcc!hollombe

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev x258) (10/01/85)

> From: Bard Bloom <BARD@MIT-XX.ARPA>
> Re: Light-sabres and blasters
> Maybe light-sabres are more expensive than blasters?  Or maybe it
> costs more (money, time, talent) to train people in light-sabre than
> in blaster?
> Or perhaps light-sabres are more sporting (you can run from them, sometimes)
> and not appropriate for the Empire to use.
> Or maybe you can learn to use the Force from light-sabre training, and
> the Empire doesn't want ten billion grunts running around with
> moderate skill in the Force.  Who knows?  Maybe one of them will be
> stronger than Darth Vader.
>
> Bard, whom the Force is not with.

It is the same as with swords and cross-bows! Here light-sabre is the
powerful weapon for hand-to-hand combat and blasters are the range weapons.