[net.auto.tech] Sluggish 82 Chevette

ssm@leg.ri.cmu.edu (Sesh Murthy) (01/14/86)

I just bought an 82 Chevette.  It has automatic transmission.
The car is extermely sluggish.  I was wondering if the problem could be easily
fixed.

I would like to clean the injectors for a start.  Is there any gasoline
additive that will do this for me.

The car has been recently tuned up and the sparks pulgs and fuel filter are
new.  The timing is presumably o.k.  and there are no points to set.

I am not asking for performance like a Saab but what can I do to accelerate to
60 mph while going uphill.

Thanks for your help.  I would appreciate a copy of the stuff you post being
mailed to me directly as I cannot read the net daily.

Sesh Murthy--
uucp: seismo!rochester!cmu-ri-leg!ssm
arpa: ssm@cmu-ri-leg

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (01/15/86)

In article <243@leg.ri.cmu.edu> ssm@leg.ri.cmu.edu (Sesh Murthy) writes:

>I just bought an 82 Chevette.  It has automatic transmission.
>The car is extermely sluggish.  I was wondering if the problem could be easily
>fixed.

Sluggish?  Well, I'm sorry to say, but that's the way Chevettes came
from the assembly line, especially automatic ones.

>I am not asking for performance like a Saab but what can I do to accelerate to
>60 mph while going uphill.

Buy a Saab...

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

lls@ccice5.UUCP (Leo L. Stearns) (01/20/86)

In article <9261@ritcv.UUCP> spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (Fishhook) writes:
>In article <7755@watrose.UUCP> tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) writes:
>>Sluggish?  Well, I'm sorry to say, but that's the way Chevettes came
>>from the assembly line, especially automatic ones.
>>                                 \tom haapanen
>>                                 watmath!watrose!haapanen
>
>When's the last time you drove one?  I own a '77 Chevette and it sure
>wasn't sluggish, at least up until I bent the valve stems...
>It is a standard though, which does makes a difference.

Wasn't slugish ??
What are you comparing it to, a bicycle :-)

The last time I drove one was about a month ago ( '83 manual ).
My 4 cylinder, 4 speed Citation would blow it's doors off
And that's pretty bad !!

It's pretty embarrasing when you get passed by semi's going uphill.

In defense of the Chevette, it is meant to be a commuter car, spending
it's life in rush hour traffic.  It serves that function well, just don't
take it to the drag strip nor try to cruise at 70 on the highway.

Not an invitation to restart debates on the %%&@#$ National speed limit.

lls@ccice5

spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (Fishhook) (01/21/86)

     I don't get passed by semi's going uphill, I blow the doors off semi's
     going uphill, or downhill for that matter.  I don't normally cruise at 70,
     but I've gone that fast in my chevette.  I usually do ~65 on interstate.
     I do a lot of long ditance driving to.  I put >5,000 miles on it in about
     4 months or so.

     So don't tell me Chevette's are sluggish... 8-)

        Steve Wall @ Rochester Institute of Technology
        Usenet: ..!rochester!ritcv!spw2562        (Fishhook)   Unix 4.2 BSD
        BITNET: SPW2562@RITVAXC                   (Snoopy)     VAX/VMS 4.2

meier@srcsip.UUCP (Christopher Meier) (01/24/86)

In article <9266@ritcv.UUCP> spw2562@ritcv.UUCP (Fishhook) writes:

>     I don't get passed by semi's going uphill, I blow the doors off semi's
>     going uphill, or downhill for that matter.  I don't normally cruise at 70,
>     but I've gone that fast in my chevette.  I usually do ~65 on interstate.
>     I do a lot of long ditance driving to.  I put >5,000 miles on it in about
>     4 months or so.
>
>     So don't tell me Chevette's are sluggish... 8-)
>
>        Steve Wall @ Rochester Institute of Technology

Hmm, bet you need to beat it pretty bad so that is doesn't feel sluggish.
--
US-SNAIL:                             Usenet:{philabs,ihnp4!umn-cs}!srcsip!meier
Christopher Meier  MN17-2357          Honeywell, Inc. Systems & Research Center

dca@edison.UUCP (01/27/86)

>      I don't get passed by semi's going uphill, I blow the doors off semi's
>      going uphill, or downhill for that matter.  I don't normally cruise at 70,
>      but I've gone that fast in my chevette.  I usually do ~65 on interstate.
>      I do a lot of long ditance driving to.  I put >5,000 miles on it in about
>      4 months or so.
>
>      So don't tell me Chevette's are sluggish... 8-)

One thing you should be careful about here.  I have driven a Chevette
automatic and it was abysmal.  Perhaps you are familiar with the sensation
of trying to merge into fast moving traffic and sweat breaks out because
you are not sure you are going to make it to speed.  You couldn't pay
me to own one.  I have heard that the stick version of the car is reasonably
peppy.

David Albrecht