[net.auto.tech] Turbos and superchargers

ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) (01/22/86)

   I think i might have an idea, but I am not sure.  Could someone please
post a condensed explaination of the difference between turbochargers and
superchargers?  What are the advantages of one over the other?  Thanks in
advance...

     Adrian Zannin
     SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science

..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin
CSNET:    ugzannin@Buffalo.CSNET
ARPANET:  ugzannin%Buffalo@csnet-relay.ARPA
BITNET:   ugzannin@sunybcs.BITNET
--
     Adrian Zannin
     SUNY at Buffalo Computer Science

..{bbncca,decvax,dual,rocksvax,watmath,sbcs}!sunybcs!ugzannin
CSNET:    ugzannin@Buffalo.CSNET
ARPANET:  ugzannin%Buffalo@csnet-relay.ARPA
BITNET:   ugzannin@sunybcs.BITNET

>    I think i might have an idea, but I am not sure.  Could someone please
> post a condensed explaination of the difference between turbochargers and
> superchargers?  What are the advantages of one over the other?

	The amount of fuel-air mixture which is introduced into an internal
combustion engine PER CYCLE is generally referring to as a ``charge''.  A
``supercharger'' by definition is any device  which increases the amount of
charge per cycle above that of a normally aspirated engine.
	While a supercharger can be anyone of several types of air compression
devices, the term ``supercharger'' seems only to be applied to application of
such devices to internal combustion engines; i.e., the same air compression
device used for another application may simply be called a turbocompressor,
rotary vane compressor, rotary blade compressor, etc.
	From what I can gather, a ``turbocharger'' is a turbocompressor applied
as a supercharger.
	A compressor used as a supercharger can be powered by three means:
(1) direct coupled to the engine, (2) powered by a close-coupled exhaust-driven
turbine, and (3) powered by an electric motor with speed control.  Compressors
used in (1) and (3) are low speed (i.e., << 5000 RPM), whereas devices used in
(2) are high speed (i.e., >> 5000 RPM).
	Since turbine technology results in the smallest possible size for a
compressor, it is the most common device used in passenger vehicles.  Since
turbines require higher RPM's than can be conveniently achieved by direct
coupling to the engine, and since a turbine MOTOR as powered by engine
exhaust gases can generate the required RPM's, the combination of an exhaust-
driven turbine motor close-coupled to a turbocompressor is most commonly used
in passenger vehicles.  I believe most people refer to this device when using
the term ``turbocharger''.
	However, while ``supercharger'' is a precise engineering term, this
may not be the case for ``turbocharger'' - even though the two terms are often
used synonymously.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

andrew@grkermi.UUCP (Andrew W. Rogers) (01/25/86)

In article <2763@sunybcs.UUCP> ugzannin@sunybcs.UUCP (Adrian Zannin) writes:
>   I think i might have an idea, but I am not sure.  Could someone please
>post a condensed explaination of the difference between turbochargers and
>superchargers?  What are the advantages of one over the other?  Thanks in
>advance...

The way I always heard it, the term "supercharger" applied to a mechanically-
driven device and "turbocharger" to one driven by exhaust pressure.

I have heard rumors that the forthcoming RX-7 "Turbo" will, in fact, use a
supercharger.

AWR

moroney@jon.DEC (Mike Moroney) (01/26/86)

Turbochargers and superchargers do the same thing, they compress air to force
more air/fuel mixture into the cylinders to get more power.  The basic
difference in automotive language is where the devices get their power.
Turbochargers get their power from a turbine in the exhaust system, powered by
exhaust pressure.  Superchargers (often called "blowers" by racing types) are
belt-driven, like the alternator, water pump, etc.

Advantages to Turbochargers:

1) Use "free" power (exhaust power)
2) Physically smaller, since the device uses higher RPM's (as much as 100K)

Disadvantages:

1) Turbo "lag" between the time you step on it and the turbo kicks in
2) Non-linear function of throttle position and power (many people with turbo's
   love this, though)
3) Potentially unreliable, because of the high temperature from exhaust + high
   RPM's (they are pretty good now, however)
4) Not too useful at low RPM's

Supercharger advantages:

1) Linear power response, like a bigger motor
2) No turbo "lag"

Disadvantages:

1) Uses motor power
2) Can be large (racers often have them sticking through the hood)

-Mike Moroney
..decvax!decwrl!rhea!jon!moroney

svirsky@ttidcb.UUCP (William Svirsky) (01/27/86)

In article <715@decwrl.DEC.COM> moroney@jon.DEC (Mike Moroney) writes:

>Advantages to Turbochargers:
>
>1) Use "free" power (exhaust power)
>2) Physically smaller, since the device uses higher RPM's (as much as 100K)

One more advantage is that because the turbo doesn't "kick in" at
lower RPM's, you can drive the car for economy, by shifting
early, or drive it for speed, by shifting late.
--
Bill Svirsky
Citicorp/TTI

> Turbochargers and superchargers do the same thing, they compress air to force
> more air/fuel mixture into the cylinders to get more power.  The basic
> difference in automotive language is where the devices get their power.
> Turbochargers get their power from a turbine in the exhaust system, powered by
> exhaust pressure.  Superchargers (often called "blowers" by racing types) are
> belt-driven, like the alternator, water pump, etc.
>
> Advantages to Turbochargers:
>
> 1) Use "free" power (exhaust power)

	Nothing is "free" in this world...  The turbine motor which powers an
exhaust-driven turbocharger gets its power from the exhaust gases by paying
the price of increasing exhaust backpressure, thereby increasing engine load
and decreasing engine efficiency.  There is not a great deal of power (when
compared to total engine output) expended to run the turbine motor, but it
could be as much as several BMEHP at high rpm's.  The resulting power gain from
the turbocharger action more than justifies the power required to drive the
turbine motor.  The same thing is also true of a direct-coupled Roots-type
supercharger; the engine power required to operate this blower is more than
justified by the increased power gain.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

junk@ur-tut.UUCP (Jan Vandenbrande) (02/03/86)

Refering to the loss of power due to the increase in exhaust pressure by
adding a turbo charger on your car.
I believe that you have to look where you try to get the energy from.
As much as I remember my thermodynamics class (oh what a nightmare) it isn't
so much the pressure of the exhaust gasses as it is the combination of
pressure and the TEMPERATURE difference between what you have after it leaves
the engine and what you have outside. Hot exhaust gasses still have alot
of energy in them, which usually goes to waste. Turbo chargers try to use
some of this energy to press more air/fuel stuff in you combustion chambers.
Correct me if I am wrong.
Jan
.