[net.auto.tech] still shaking when cold

tanner@uwstat.UUCP (Martin Tanner) (01/21/86)

Way back in November I posted an info request regarding
a problem I have been having with my l985 Tercel. I have
found that if I depress the gas pedal (when the car is
cold, i.e. left outside over night) the car will start
rough idling - it will start but after 10-15 seconds will
start to shake. The shaking lasts 1-3 minutes. At the end
of this period the idle speed shoots up. I brought the
car in (again) and this time they found the idle was not
properly set and the spark plugs were fouled. They set the
idle speed and replaced the spark plugs, but... it still
goes through its routine after a cold night.

Anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? (Thanks to
the people who responded last time.)

                              Martin Tanner
                              ihnp4!uwvax!uwstat!tanner@rsch.wisc.edu

After after many a summer, a swan is dead.

ams@philabs.UUCP (Ali Shaik) (01/22/86)

> a problem I have been having with my l985 Tercel. I have
> found that if I depress the gas pedal (when the car is
> cold, i.e. left outside over night) the car will start
> rough idling - it will start but after 10-15 seconds will
> start to shake. The shaking lasts 1-3 minutes. At the end

      I have the exact same problem with my '79 VW Rabbit.
      Any suggestions or info?

      ihnp4!philabs!ams

guzman@ttidcb.UUCP (Marc Guzman) (01/24/86)

>> a problem I have been having with my l985 Tercel. I have
>> found that if I depress the gas pedal (when the car is
>> cold, i.e. left outside over night) the car will start
>> rough idling - it will start but after 10-15 seconds will
>> start to shake. The shaking lasts 1-3 minutes. At the end
>
>      I have the exact same problem with my '79 VW Rabbit.
>      Any suggestions or info?
>
>      ihnp4!philabs!ams

	My '79 Plymouth Champ suffered such similar symptoms twice.
The first time it was the exhaust gas recirculation valve (EGR) that
openning too soon and dumping relatively unburnable exhust back into
the cylinders, which leaned the air/fuel mixture, causing the engine
to stumble until warm. A nasty side effect was the car would buck and
surge something terrible. ( bruises and whiplash :-) )
The second time was something the opposite, the choke was not openning
fast enough, enriching the mixture, and causing a rough idle. However
it was accompanied with smelling black exhaust.
	Maybe this will help.
				Marc A. Guzman

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (01/24/86)

In article <265@uwstat.UUCP> tanner@uwstat.UUCP (Martin Tanner) writes:
>Way back in November I posted an info request regarding
>a problem I have been having with my l985 Tercel. I have
>found that if I depress the gas pedal (when the car is
>cold, i.e. left outside over night) the car will start
>rough idling - it will start but after 10-15 seconds will
>start to shake. The shaking lasts 1-3 minutes. At the end
>of this period the idle speed shoots up. I brought the
>car in (again) and this time they found the idle was not
>properly set and the spark plugs were fouled. They set the
>idle speed and replaced the spark plugs, but... it still
>goes through its routine after a cold night.
>
>Anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong? (Thanks to
>the people who responded last time.)
>
>                              Martin Tanner

It's almost definately your choke is set too rich.  Or like mine it's
"choking cycle" is not consistent with the engine warming rate.  My
1985 Ford 5.8 liter engine has a choke which is too rich when I start
it and after I drive a mile or so it is too lean.
A good verification of too rich of choke is when it is shaking, look
at the exhaust gasses.  It will be thick black smoke and smelly.  And
also your spark plugs will be fouled as a result....

As previously discussed, the new chokes are "non-adjustable" but if it
really is your problem, the mechanics can grind off the rivits and
easily adjust it.

Bill Landsborough

----

"Greater is He that is in me than he that is in the world."  1John 4:4

phil@xios.UUCP (Phil Trubey) (01/31/86)

> I have
> found that if I depress the gas pedal (when the car is
> cold, i.e. left outside over night) the car will start
> rough idling - it will start but after 10-15 seconds will
> start to shake. The shaking lasts 1-3 minutes. At the end
> of this period the idle speed shoots up.

I have an '83 Escort with the same symptoms.  Only recently did I notice
that the idle speed shot up after some minutes of rough idling.  It
sounds to me like the fast idle is somehow not kicking in until the car
moderately warm.  Is this likely?  If so, is it easy to fix?

> I brought the
> car in (again) and this time they found the idle was not
> properly set and the spark plugs were fouled. They set the
> idle speed and replaced the spark plugs, but... it still
> goes through its routine after a cold night.

This makes me want to laugh or cry ... I too took my car in and got charged
$24 for some twit to apply some lubricant to the carb, and put gas-line
dryer in the gas!  When I complained that this didn't fix the problem
at all, the 'mechanic' came out and started up the car.  "See it works
fine" he said, whereupon the car started dieing.  "No problem, I'll
just adjust the idle a bit" ... much fiddling later the car had no choice
but to be happy ... until it was warmed up, then it sounded like a jet
engine every time it rolled to a stop.  Needless to say, adjusting the
idle didn't fix the problem thereafter either.

--
                             Phil Trubey

...!utzoo!dciem!nrcaer!xios!phil

ccrse@ucdavis.UUCP (Steve Ehrhardt) (02/04/86)

> > I have
> > found that if I depress the gas pedal (when the car is
> > cold, i.e. left outside over night) the car will start
> > rough idling - it will start but after 10-15 seconds will
> > start to shake. The shaking lasts 1-3 minutes. At the end
> > of this period the idle speed shoots up.
>
> I have an '83 Escort with the same symptoms.  Only recently did I notice
> that the idle speed shot up after some minutes of rough idling.  It
> sounds to me like the fast idle is somehow not kicking in until the car
> moderately warm.  Is this likely?  If so, is it easy to fix?

Actually, this sounds like an awfully familiar story.  On FWD Chrysler
products cars, (non-injected) this sort of thing is a regular occurance,
though in all fairness, I should say that the owners manual tells you how
to prevent/fix it.

On these carbs (Holley 5525, if my memory serves), the bushings through
which the choke shaft runs through can gum up *very* quickly.  When this
happens, you have a number of different symptoms which may appear, either
individually or in combination:

(1) Engine is reluctant to start when cold.
(2) When started cold, engine will run roughly for a while.
(3) Engine will remain on fast idle for a longer time than temp will justify.
(4) May hesitate when accelerating from a stop when cold.

When any of these symptoms appear, the first thing to try is to lubricate
the choke shaft pivot points, along with any other moving parts that move
with it.  On Chrysler cars, they recommend that his be done routinely every
several thousand miles, but I've seen them start sticking sometimes after
only a few hundred.  (I usually clean things up with a little B-12 spray,
then lubricate them with some MOPAR rust penetrant, which contains some
graphite that seems to keep them free longer.  DON'T use WD-40 - it seems
to gum up too quickly afterward.)  It should be easy to do on most cars,
and it's worth a try before looking for something more complicated.

junk@ur-tut.UUCP (Jan Vandenbrande) (02/04/86)

Alot of you out there seem to have some problems related to rough idling
with a cold engine. I have had a similar problem recently and was able
to fix it. Try the following:

1] Look at the vacuum hoses. See if they are attached well, look for
cracks. If you are capable, check also the valves (if any) and vacuum
activated switches (if any) in the vacuum lines. Don't forget the brake
booster. Mine (and many cars') works on the vacuum. A leak in that may
cause you lots of headaches [check vacuum booster => pedal should go down
when starting the car, car should not stall when depressing the brake violently)
Keep in mind that some of the vacuum hoses may come loose and start "leaking"
when warm. So check these hoses with hot and cold engine.
Vacuum hoses control all kinds of functions: vacuum advance/retard, regulating
air/fuel mixture, the choke, etc. So it is not unlikely that a vacuum leak
may have all kinds of consequences. Look at the spark plugs. When thy are
sooty, your air fuel mixture might be too rich, or you ignition is off.
Check also the gaskets between intake manifold & carb./fuel injector.
Leaks there might do nasty things too, but these are not that common.
There is no sence adjusting your timing/carb. when you have a vacuum leak.
Your car is not going to run right. For those of you with some more equipment
try using a vacuum gauge.

2] Check the electrical system for bad contacts. Get a Volt-Ohm meter, the
circuit plan for your car, and check whether all the apropriate places get
juice, and if it is the right amount. Nowadays more and more things are
activated electronically, so a bad contact, or a bad sensor will ruin
it all in rather misterious ways. My problem with rough idling ended
up being a corroded connector that controlled parts of my choke and
the intake manifold preheat. Nothing a bit of sandpaper can't fix (to
clean of the contacts) but it did take me a while to find it.
This is all under the assumption that your battery, spark-plugs, coil
(test with VOM), points/Hall sender, idle stabiliser (if any), injection
computer (if any), fuses, relays, etc. are all functioning properly.
Don't be surprised to find contacts that work part time only. So when
you check your contacts, wiggle the wires to see what happens.

3] Maybe your injectors/carb. registers are soiled. This is more delicate.
If you car runs well when warm, I wouldn't worry about it.

4] Pollution Control Stuff. I know very little about this area, but I do
know that this may ruin your day too.

5] Check for H2O in your gasline/tank. Disconnect the gasoline tube
early in some cold morning and let some of it gush into a container. Let
it settle. If you find junk, complain to your favorite gas station, or check
your gastank for leaks, rust, condensation water,...
Be carefull though when you do the above operation. Gasoline tends to be
flamable.

This is about all I can think of, off hand. Try this first and see if it does
any good. If it doesn't try net.auto.tech to see if anyone else has some
peculiar experiences with this type of problems.

Jan.

mer@uvacs.UUCP (Marc Rouleau) (02/06/86)

In article <197@xios.UUCP> phil@xios.UUCP (Phil Trubey) writes:

>> I have
>> found that if I depress the gas pedal (when the car is
>> cold, i.e. left outside over night) the car will start
>> rough idling - it will start but after 10-15 seconds will
>> start to shake. The shaking lasts 1-3 minutes. At the end
>> of this period the idle speed shoots up.

I had similar symptoms with my '78 Ford.  On my carburetor there is a vacuum
hose plugged into a doohickey (the choke pull-off) which is mechanically
linked to the air intake regulation plate (the choke) at the top.  The vacuum
should cause the doohickey to pull on the linkage when the car is cold.
If no vacuum exists in the hose, or if the choke pull-off will not hold a
vacuum, your car will not start well.

If the hose doesn't deliver vacuum to the choke pull-off when the car is cold,
check that it is connected properly to a place that does deliver vacuum and
that it has no leaks of its own.

To check the choke pull-off, remove the vacuum hose, push in the part
which pulls on the linkage, and cover the hole left by removal of the hose.
If the pushed-in part does not stay in, the diaphragm in the choke pull-off
is bad, and you'll need to replace the entire part.  The part cost me only
twelve dollars.
--

              Marc Rouleau         uucp: decvax!mcnc!ncsu!uvacs!mer