[net.auto.tech] Stinky Honda

acy@abic.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) (02/05/86)

	I have an '86 Honda Civic.  It is the first car I've owned
with a catalytic converter.  The problem I have is that the first
time I stop after starting it when it is cold, the cab fills up
with the odor of hydrogen sulfide.  Is this normal for these
converters?  Can anything be done about it?  A friend of mine
has a new ('85 or '86) American wagon which does the same thing.
How come I haven't notice this smell when riding in other
peoples cars?  Is this new for '86, or does it go away after a
few miles?

Thanks,
Adnan Yaqub @ Allen-Bradley Co.
decvax!abic!acy

stubbs@ncr-sd.UUCP (Jan Stubbs) (02/13/86)

In article <727@abic.UUCP> acy@abic.UUCP (Adnan Yaqub) writes:

>	I have an '86 Honda Civic.  It is the first car I've owned
>with a catalytic converter.  The problem I have is that the first
>time I stop after starting it when it is cold, the cab fills up
>with the odor of hydrogen sulfide.  Can anything be done about it?

According to a recent article in C&D, hydrogen sulfide is one of the byproducts
of the catylitic converter given certain conditions.  According to my
Pontiac dealer (my Fiero has the same problem at full throttle occasionally)
it happens when the mixture is too rich (and the moon is full ...). Since
the mixture on most modern cars is controlled by a computer connected to an
oxygen sensor you have three choices:

1. Replace oxygen sensor.
2. Find the programmer who programmed the computer and get him to fix his/her
bug.
3. Learn to like the smell.
4. Wait a while, my dealer says it gets better after a 20,000 miles.

In your case however, a more important question is: How did the exhaust
fumes get in the car? Another poisonous byproduct which has no smell is
carbon monoxide. In my car I only notice if I have the sunroof off.

ljo@drutx.UUCP (OchsL) (02/17/86)

> 4. Wait a while, my dealer says it gets better after a 20,000 miles.

Not true.  My Honda still stinks after 20,000 miles.
Any more suggestions ?

Larry O. AT&T Info. Systems, Denver, CO.