[net.auto.tech] 98 octane gasoline

ssp@dutoit.UUCP (02/25/86)

Does anyone know where I can obtain 98 octane LEADED gasoline?

The problem is that I have a European specification car with the following
engine:
		capacity:	1781cc
		stroke:		86.4mm
		bore:		81mm
		compression:	10.0

which produces 82kw at 5500rpm and 157Nm at 3100rpm. According to the book,
it requires 98 RON (Research Octane Number indicating anti knock properties
of the petrol) Premium petrol. What car is it?

The car has been modified slightly to meet the DOT safety requirements but
*NOT* the EPA emissions (since I was immigrating at the time), so the
engine is unchanged (no catalytic converter etc.).

Three "solutions" have been suggested to me:-
1) Mix regular leaded and super unleaded in egual proportions.
2) Use octane boosters.
3) Use racing (114 octane) fuel!

Any suggestions as to which is the best &/or the most cost-effective solution?

	Shamim Pirzada				AT&T Bell Labs
						research!ssp
     						(201) 582 5354

2212msr@whuts.UUCP (ROBIN) (02/26/86)

> Does anyone know where I can obtain 98 octane LEADED gasoline?
>
> The problem is that I have a European specification car with the following
> engine:
> 		capacity:	1781cc
> 		stroke:		86.4mm
> 		bore:		81mm
> 		compression:	10.0
>
> which produces 82kw at 5500rpm and 157Nm at 3100rpm. According to the book,
> it requires 98 RON (Research Octane Number indicating anti knock properties
> of the petrol) Premium petrol. What car is it?

The octane posted on the pumps these days is the average of RON  & MON (research
method and motor method).  RON is approximately 4 points higher than current
pump postings via averaging method.  So, 94 octane posted
is 98 RON.  Sunoco Ultra is 93.5, which I believe is as close as you're
going to find, but it is unleaded.  I've been running that in a Volvo 1800E
which had a 10.5:1 CR before I hopped it up. An occasional tank of leaded
regular mixed in seems to do just fine.  I've seen no problem with
valves etc.

tohaapanen@watrose.UUCP (Tom Haapanen) (02/26/86)

In article <2095@dutoit.UUCP> ssp@dutoit.UUCP writes:

>The problem is that I have a European specification car with the following
>engine:
>		capacity:	1781cc
>		stroke:		86.4mm
>		bore:		81mm
>		compression:	10.0
>
>which produces 82kw at 5500rpm and 157Nm at 3100rpm. According to the book,
>it requires 98 RON (Research Octane Number indicating anti knock properties
>of the petrol) Premium petrol. What car is it?

The answer is obvious ... a European-spec VW Golf GTI.

>Three "solutions" have been suggested to me:-
>1) Mix regular leaded and super unleaded in egual proportions.
>2) Use octane boosters.
>3) Use racing (114 octane) fuel!

4) Reduce compression (alas, also reduces power output)

>Any suggestions as to which is the best &/or the most cost-effective solution?

Regular leaded/super unleaded is definitely the most cost-effective,
but it may no longer work with the lead content in leaded down to 0.1
grams (or was it milligrams?).  Can the European GTI's engine
compensate for lower octane ratings by retarding timing?  Then you
could just add octane boosters when you need the performance.

				   \tom haapanen
				   watmath!watrose!haapanen
I'm all lost in the Supermarket
I can no longer shop happily
I came in here for that special offer
Guaranteed personality				 (c) The Clash, 1979

olds@ihlpa.UUCP (Mondeville) (02/27/86)

> > Does anyone know where I can obtain 98 octane LEADED gasoline?
> >

> > Sunoco Ultra is 93.5, which I believe is as close as you're

   Can someone tell me if they're any sunoco stations in Chicago
  or surrounding suburbs and how much a gallon this Sunoco Ultra is??

  Also,I heard that on Friday& Saturday nights sunoco sells 103.5 octane
 fuel,can anyone confirm this and if so how much a gallon?,and where I can
 get some??

							E.G.Mandeville
							ihnp4!ihlpa!olds
							AT&T Bell labs
																				`

jparnas@vger.UUCP (John M. Sully) (03/02/86)

In article <2095@dutoit.UUCP>, ssp@dutoit.UUCP writes:

> Does anyone know where I can obtain 98 octane LEADED gasoline?
>
> Three "solutions" have been suggested to me:-
> 1) Mix regular leaded and super unleaded in egual proportions.
> 2) Use octane boosters.
> 3) Use racing (114 octane) fuel!
>
> Any suggestions as to which is the best &/or the most cost-effective solution?

I forget the chemical reasons for it, but mixing regular leaded and
super unleaded will actually produce an "octane hump" of 1 or 2 points.
this will result in a mix with a pump octane rating of about 93.

Note that the octane ratings which you see posted on pumps are pump
octane ratings.  There are two different methods of measuring octane,
the research method (RON) and the motor method.  The numbers given by
the research method are typically 5-10 points higher than those given
by the motor method and so the feds came up with pump octane, which is
simply MON + RON / 2.  So a 93 pump octane fuel should be good enough
for your motor since it calls for 98 RON gasoline.  If your engine knocks
under these conditions then the octane is too low and you will have
three choices:

     1. Use an octane booster -- expensive for a good one
     2. Use racing or aircraft fuel -- also very expensive
     3. Lower the compression ratio of your engine by installing
	a thicker head gasket. ( done on motorcycles usually )

=============================

John M. Sully
BITNET : suzuki@ucscc.BITNET
ARPA   : ucscc!suzuki@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
UUCP   : ..!ucbvax!ucscc!suzuki

jeq@laidbak.UUCP (Jonathan E. Quist) (03/06/86)

In article <2095@dutoit.UUCP> ssp@dutoit.UUCP writes:

>Does anyone know where I can obtain 98 octane LEADED gasoline?

Your local airport Fixed-Base Operator will sell
you 100LL (100 octane low lead) avgas for about $2 per gallon.

Jonathan E. Quist
ihnp4!laidbak!jeq