[net.auto.tech] surface rust

ron@fluke.UUCP (Ron Pankiewicz) (03/03/86)

Does anyone have experience with treating *surface*
rust?  This is not (yet) a structural problem, simply
a dusting scattered over random areas on the underside
of my car.  I'm looking for a treatment or procedure
to stop the spread of the existing stuff, and also
prevent any further rusting.

Some suggestions I've heard are:

(a) spread motor oil on the underside [will this stop existing rust?].

(b) spray aerosal undercoating mix on the underside [will this eventually
separate from the metal and create a cavity for moisture to collect in?]

(c) spray the underside with commercially available primer paint for
*rusty* metal, e.g. available from Rustoleum.  [does this stuff really
work?!  If so, which brand is best?]

My primary concerns are (1) effectiveness, (2) ease
of application, and then (3) cost.

I'd welcome all advice you have on the above ideas, and
any other approaches you can suggest.

Thanks in advance.

   Ron Pankiewicz

garth@inuxd.UUCP (Garth Johnson) (03/12/86)

Ron,
A couple of years ago I bought a bottle of rust "neutralizer ?" called
EXTEND.  It cost two or three dollars at the auto parts store, and is
made by DURO, the BONDO people.  I planned to use it to stop small rust
spots from becoming big rust spots, and it did the job.  EXTEND is a
milky liquid that you apply to the rusty area with a small paintbrush (I
used some cheepo artist brushes).  It dries in a short while and turns the
rust area black.  I guess it works by preventing air from reaching the
rusty area.  Just this past weekend I used it on a small rust spot on my
Toyota and then painted the EXTENDed area with touch-up paint.  It worked
great.  I think this product is great for getting a couple more years out
of your car, but I don't think it is intended for use on anything but
surface rust.  Try some, it is only a couple dollars, and let me know
how it works.

			Garth Johnson

paulb@ttidcc.UUCP (Paul Blumstein) (03/13/86)

In article <1600@vax3.fluke.UUCP> ron@fluke.UUCP (Ron Pankiewicz) writes:
>Does anyone have experience with treating *surface*
>rust?  This is not (yet) a structural problem, simply
>a dusting scattered over random areas on the underside
>of my car.  I'm looking for a treatment or procedure
>to stop the spread of the existing stuff, and also
>prevent any further rusting.
>   Ron Pankiewicz
Duro makes Extend.  It has a runny latex (white) feel to it that you
paint on rusted surfaces.  It treats rust & turns black in the
process.  You usually have to use two coats.  It can be painted over
if you wish.  Good Stuff.  It is available at most hardware & auto
supply stores.
--
-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-
Paul Blumstein                  |

lacasse@randvax.UUCP (Mark LaCasse) (03/15/86)

I've used a product on rusty steel called "Extend" by Loctite, Inc.
It is billed as a "rust inhibitor" or "rust sealer" or such.
I didn't use it on a car, but have used it on steel outdoors
(e.g. I-Beams).  It is water base (easy to clean up and apply).
You paint it on.  You should remove lose falking rust first.  It
is almost clear, slightly pink.  That is how it dries (almost clear)
if you paint it on wood.  When painted on steel or rust, it reacts
chemically with the iron, and turns jet black.  This takes a few minutes.
In good weather, it dries in under an hour.

It isn't the strongest surface, and will last much longer if followed
up with another coating.  The simple route for this is Auto paint,
Rustoleum, or DeRusto (I used the last).  I've also tried anhydrous
polyurathane, and liked that a lot.  It is VERY hard when dry.  It
is good on steel, and about anything else too.  I think some airlines
paint their 747's with this stuff.

I've been pretty happy with the rust locking effect of the Extend, and
with the hardness of the anhydrous polyurethane.

I bought the Extend in a 1 gal. jug from an industrial distributor for
about $35/gal (ouch).  The anhydrous polyurethane is harder to find.
I bought it for about $28/gal from a manufacturer or it, Western
Specialities Coatings, in Los Angeles.

      Mark LaCasse                  qantel!hplabs!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      c/o The Rand Corporation       cbosgd!ihnp4!sdcrdcf!randvax!lacasse
      1700 Main Street              lacasse@Rand-Unix
      Santa Monica, CA 90406
	213/393-0411  ext. 7420

junk@ur-tut.UUCP (Jan Vandenbrande) (03/19/86)

	What I meant in my earlier posting on surface rust by the stuff
in the brown bottle called "Rust away ???" or something is actually
called "EXTEND", which I see now, some people have commented on already.

The stuff is also available in Europe under a different name. I have rather
mixed results with this stuff.
Jan

jeff@wjvax.UUCP (Jeff Albom) (03/19/86)

I have used Duro's Extend on several cars (many of which came from high
rust areas such as the East coast and England).  It is excellent for
use on surface rust and will also slow the creep of rot on puncture
rust.  If used on puncture rust you must be sure to coat both sides of the
hole with liberal amounts of the stuff. On large holes (bigger than a
quarter), this is no problem since you can stick your finger thru and coat
the inside.  For smaller holes (pin holes, etc.), I prefer to use a
sponge brush (the type used to apply stains and latex paint). Saturate
the brush with Extend and dab it on with firm pressure.  This will cause
the Extend to ooze thru the holes and, at least, coat the inside edge of
the hole.
In addition to Duro Extend, I have received mailers from Loctite advertis-
ing a similar product (I don't recall their name for the stuff but it may
also be called Extend).  Loctite says their product can be used as a final
surface coating on bare metals that will see adverse environments (i.e.
ocean spray, some corrosive industrial environs, etc.)  Their product
also appears to be some sort of polymer coat.

                                              jeff@wjvax