[net.auto.tech] hesitation on acceleration

ken@birtch.UUCP (Ken B) (03/03/86)

I have a '79 Plymouth Champ, with a 1600cc engine.  I had recently
had the carburator rebuilt.  The car ran fine for about a month,
then start to hesitate while accelerating. I.E. in second gear, at about
35 MPH (about 3,000 rpm) and press the accelerator to the floor.  The
car would act like it was about to die, then would accelerate. Thinking
that it was flooding, I took it back to where I had had the carb. rebuilt.
They told me the car was in bad tune.
	I tuned it up (replaced plugs, points, condenser, plug wires,
cap and rotor, and the coil {they said the coil was weak})  It still
hesitates like it did before.  (it hesitates in all 4 gears, but is
most notible in second).
	Does anyone have any ideas as to what it is?  I think I need
to take it back to the carb shop (that is it's name, by the way),
but I was wondering if anyone has had a similar problem, and a
solution.

	Many Thanks,
	Ken Brown

PS.	The Champ is/was made by mitsubishi, and is the precursor to
	the Dodge Colt.
--
	uucp:  ...{!glacier!oliveb,!ihnp4!trwrb} !felix!birtch!ken

These ramblings are my own, and are surely not those of my employer.

ix394@sdcc6.UUCP (ix394) (03/05/86)

In article <267@birtch.UUCP>, ken@birtch.UUCP (Ken B) writes:
> I have a '79 Plymouth Champ, with a 1600cc engine.  I had recently
> had the carburator rebuilt.  The car ran fine for about a month,
> then start to hesitate while accelerating. I.E. in second gear, at about
> 35 MPH (about 3,000 rpm) and press the accelerator to the floor.  The
> car would act like it was about to die, then would accelerate.
> 	I tuned it up (replaced plugs, points, condenser, plug wires,
> cap and rotor, and the coil {they said the coil was weak})  It still
> hesitates like it did before.  (it hesitates in all 4 gears, but is
> most notible in second).
> 	Many Thanks,
> 	Ken Brown

Check the distributor a little more closely, as you may have one
or both of the governor weight springs broken.  This kills the
centrifugal advance and has the effect you describe on
accelleration.  This has occurred on two family Colt/Champs of
79-80 vintage.  (Expect to pay about $50 from Chrysler for a
replacement governor assembly.)  You can check whether you are
getting any centrifugal advance with a timing light.  Cut off
the vacuum advance and rev the engine to about 2000 rpm.  You
should get about 20 degrees or more of advance over the idle
reading.  If you get no advance, then the governor is the
problem.

Another general cause of accelleration hesitation or stumble is
a vacuum leak somewhere below the throttle plates.  Check all
hoses taking vacuum off the intake manifold, as one could be
cracked and causing the problem.

As a final word of advice, find another place to get your car
worked on, as it sounds like the boys at the ``carb shop'' are
just guessing.

		Chuck Cobleigh
		EECS Dept. C-014
		U. C. San Diego

toddv@copper.UUCP (Todd Vierheller) (03/06/86)

The problem you described of hesitating when you floor it is a *classic* case
of a probelm with the accelerator pump *in the carburator*.  The guys that
worked on your carb must be a bunch of incompetent fools.  Why don't you
try tellng them what the problem is caused by and then see if they can fix
it.  (But don't take my word for it.  Buy a book on carburators that
includes information on troubleshooting.)  Make them fix it.  This is
definately a carburation problem.  (I dealt with this problem more
than once back in the days when I drove what I could afford--and that meant
$400 vehicles--and did my own work too.)

                                   Todd Vierheller
                                   Tektronix Inc.
                                   Portland OR

Darn.  There I go babbling on again.   My fingers typed this without
my company's or my brain's knowledge.

marauder@fluke.UUCP (Bill Landsborough) (03/10/86)

In article <2453@sdcc6.UUCP> ix394@sdcc6.UUCP (ix394) writes:
>In article <267@birtch.UUCP>, ken@birtch.UUCP (Ken B) writes:
>> I have a '79 Plymouth Champ, with a 1600cc engine.  I had recently
>> had the carburator rebuilt.  The car ran fine for about a month,
>> then start to hesitate while accelerating. I.E. in second gear, at about
>> 35 MPH (about 3,000 rpm) and press the accelerator to the floor.  The
>> car would act like it was about to die, then would accelerate.
>> 	I tuned it up (replaced plugs, points, condenser, plug wires,
>> cap and rotor, and the coil {they said the coil was weak})  It still
>> hesitates like it did before.  (it hesitates in all 4 gears, but is
>> most notible in second).
>> 	Many Thanks,
>> 	Ken Brown

It sounds like a defective accelerator pump in the carburetor to me.
The pump squirts a little gasoline into the engine when you stomp on
the accelerator.  When this gets worn out, it no longer squirts and
the engine hesitates, especially at low rpm's.

Bill Landsborough

----

"Love is patient and kind; love is not jealous or boastful; it is not
arrogant or rude... Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all
things, endures all things."   1 Corinthians 13:4-7

jimo@phred.UUCP (Jim Osborn) (03/26/86)

In article <213@copper.UUCP> toddv@copper.UUCP (Todd Vierheller) writes:
>The problem you described of hesitating when you floor it is a *classic* case
>of a probelm with the accelerator pump *in the carburator*.  The guys that
>worked on your carb must be a bunch of incompetent fools...

This problem can occur, at least in a Honda CVCC engine, if the cam
timing is off.  I had mine rebuilt by one of those "incompetent fools"
and fought a severe hesitation during part of the warmup cycle -- not
fully cold, but maybe two minutes after startup.  I finally was introduced
to a guy who knew his stuff, and he explained that it's one of Honda's
subtleties.  Runs like new, now.

						...tikal!phred!jimo