[net.games.chess] Notation

credmond@watmath.UUCP (Chris Redmond) (11/14/85)

>>     1. P-K4	P-QB4		       22.R-R3	   B-N2
>>     2. N-KB3	P-Q3		       23.B-K3     R-K2
>
>This "other" notation is called "inferior."

Inferior, all right. All it does is tell you what piece moved to
what square, so you can follow the game in your head.  Wouldn't
want that kind of pandering to human beings now, would we?
Might interfere with machine-readability.

  :-) , I think.   Maybe :-( instead.

Come on, guys: a lot of people LIKE traditional notation.
Me, for one.

karl@osu-eddie.UUCP (Karl Kleinpaste) (11/14/85)

> > >     1. P-K4	P-QB4		       22.R-R3	   B-N2
> > >     2. N-KB3	P-Q3		       23.B-K3     R-K2
> >This "other" notation is called "inferior."
> Come on, guys: a lot of people LIKE traditional notation.
> Me, for one.

Heavens, yes.  I'll grant you that algebraic notation is probably more
precise, especially since it's not uncommon for a person to record a
game with ambiguous moves in descriptive notation (e.g., which Pawn
did you mean in PxN?  The one on K4 or KN4?).  Nonetheless, I see no
reason why I, as a human,  should be forced to limit my available
move-recording mechanisms to those most suited to the bloody machine.
In a chess program I once wrote, it accepted both forms of input from
the user, and was smart enough to demand additional information to
disambiguate a move.  This certainly seemed like a better idea than
just throwing out descriptive notation entirely.
--
Karl Kleinpaste

ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/15/85)

When I called descriptive notation inferior, I didn't mean
to touch off another descriptive vs algebraic debate.  I
was simply trying to be humorous; I guess I should have
used a :-) somewhere.  Oh, well.

tim@ISM780B.UUCP (11/16/85)

Algebraic notation has been around a lot longer than computer chess ( unless
Babbage had a chess program for his machines... )

				Tim Smith
				ihnp4!cithep!tim
				ima!ism780!tim

chris@leadsv.UUCP (Chris Salander) (11/20/85)

> > >This "other" notation is called "inferior."
> > Come on, guys: a lot of people LIKE traditional notation.
> > Me, for one.
> Heavens, yes.

	I vote strongly for the old notation.   I think the new
notation STINKS!  You cannot tell if captures have been made and
you have to memorize the new grid to have a mental picture of
what is going on.  The old notation contained (oops!  NOT past
tense!) - CONTAINS more information.

	P.S. - did anyone try the medieval chess rules I posted?

			- Chris Salander

ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (11/24/85)

chris@leadsv.UUCP writes:

>	I vote strongly for the old notation.   I think the new
> notation STINKS!  You cannot tell if captures have been made and
> you have to memorize the new grid to have a mental picture of
> what is going on.  The old notation contained (oops!  NOT past
> tense!) - CONTAINS more information.

As I said before, I didn't mean to start the algebraic versus
descriptive debate again, but Chris's comments make no sense.
First, you can indeed tell if a capture has been made - and
without the ambiguity of the descriptive system.  Second, he
complains about having to memorize a new grid.  Surely this
cannot be that difficult.  Moreover, as someone who used to
use the old notation, I find that the "new" one makes it much
easier for me to visualize the board.  More important, however,
is this: if new players are taught the algebraic notation first,
they will have the opposite bias.  (I still think all players
need to know both systems, since so much is written in each.)
Finally, if Chris aspires to the lofty heights of international
play, he had better get used to the new system; it is the only
system recognized by FIDE.  You may not like it, but that's your
problem.

I will now run for cover as the friends of the English descend
upon me...