[net.games.chess] Women in Chess

tmoody@sjuvax.UUCP (T. Moody) (12/12/85)

[]
In many athletic events, the performance of women is improving much
more rapidly than the performance of men, as women become more
interested in athletics (actually, as *more* women become interested).
I wonder if the gap between the strongest women and men in chess is
likewise narrowing.  Are we approaching a time when there will be no
point to having separate men's and women's divisions and events in
chess?  How strong are the strongest chess players who are women?

Todd Moody                 |  {allegra|astrovax|bpa|burdvax}!sjuvax!tmoody
Philosophy Department      |
St. Joseph's U.            |         "I couldn't fail to
Philadelphia, PA   19131   |          disagree with you less."

ashby@uiucdcsp.CS.UIUC.EDU (12/14/85)

I think the strongest women players are around 2400, about
a class and a half below the top men.  I, too, hope this
gap will dwindle as more woman turn toward chess.  It has
always baffled me why more women don't play.  Are there
any females out there who can provide some insight?

lazarus@brahms.BERKELEY.EDU (Andrew J &) (12/16/85)

The latest USCF rating list (annual 85) lists Diane Savereide and
Irina Aronoff as the two highest rated women in the US at about 2300.
There are a small number of other women masters.

Not only is the top of the women's list much weaker, but there
is little depth.  The 50th woman is a mid 1700 rating -- behind
literally thousands of men.

My understanding is that only one-half of one % of USCF members
are female, with the most sexually balanced age group being
young children.  I don't know whether this is a hopeful sign
or if these young girls will give up the game as they grow older.

andy

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (12/16/85)

In article <11247@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> (Andrew J Lazarus) writes:
>The latest USCF rating list (annual 85) lists Diane Savereide and
>Irina Aronoff as the two highest rated women in the US at about 2300.

Holy fianchetto!  My first tournament game was against Diane
Savereide (sp?) in '72 or '73 and it was her first game also.
I stopped playing tournament chess about a year later (with a
feeble 1376 rating).  Small world.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (12/17/85)

>         How strong are the strongest chess players who are women?

The latest _Chess Life_ lists 766 masters active in the U.S.  Four
are women.  The best of them, Diane Savereide of California, ranks
around 320th.
_

	"I came in and walked around,
	 Somebody yelled, your flag is down,
	   Mr. Dzindizchashvili,
	   Mr. Dzindizchashvili,
	 I wish somebody would tell me what Dzindzichashvili means!"
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel