[net.games.chess] Chess ratings and shoelaces

colonel@sunybcs.UUCP (Col. G. L. Sicherman) (12/05/85)

["Oboy!  Now's my chance! ... What'll I say to him?"]

>               Between 2200 and 2400, you are called a chess master.  But,
> you are not even close to being alowed to tie the shoe laces of the likes
> of Bobby Fischer, Spassky, Kasp[o]_a_rov, etc.  Between 2400 and 2600 (maybe
> 2500), you are a grand master.  It is now that you go hunting for big game.
> After 2600, you are an international grand master.

In the USCF rating system, 2200-2399 is master, 2400- is senior master.
The title of Grandmaster is awarded only by the International Chess
Federation; it does _not_ depend on one's Elo (i.e., international) or
USCF rating.  The only kind of grandmaster is an international grandmaster.
--
Col. G. L. Sicherman
UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (12/06/85)

> ["Oboy!  Now's my chance! ... What'll I say to him?"]
>
> >               Between 2200 and 2400, you are called a chess master.  But,
> > you are not even close to being alowed to tie the shoe laces of the likes
> > of Bobby Fischer, Spassky, Kasp[o]_a_rov, etc.  Between 2400 and 2600 (maybe
> > 2500), you are a grand master.  It is now that you go hunting for big game.
> > After 2600, you are an international grand master.
>
> In the USCF rating system, 2200-2399 is master, 2400- is senior master.
> The title of Grandmaster is awarded only by the International Chess
> Federation; it does _not_ depend on one's Elo (i.e., international) or
> USCF rating.  The only kind of grandmaster is an international grandmaster.
> --
> Col. G. L. Sicherman
> UU: ...{rocksvax|decvax}!sunybcs!colonel
> CS: colonel@buffalo-cs
> BI: csdsicher@sunyabva

Ok, so what????  The point I was trying to make is that there are categories
of achievement above the 2399 rating.  I should have used the term senior
master in place of grand master.  Excuse my blunder.
Technically speaking, the title of grandmaster is not based on one's rating, but
I've never heard of a master with a rating of 2400 being called a grand
master, he/she simply has not or cannot earn the title with that 'low' rating.
This doesn't mean a senior master with a rating of 2400 hasn't been called a
grandmaster, I've just never seen it.
This title comes from achievment.  With achievment comes a higher rating. Thus,  usually a much higher rating is associated with the title grandmaster.
For example, in the January 1986 edition of Chess Life, it was mentioned that
Maxim Dlugy was just awarded the title of grandmaster at the FIDE congress, his
rating; 2648.

By the way my very informed friend, you forget to mention the category of
Life Master.  What is it you ask?  I'm not 10000000% sure of the details, so
look it up and post it.

ray

matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) (12/09/85)

In article <13731@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>By the way my very informed friend, you forget to mention the category of
>Life Master.  What is it you ask?  I'm not 10000000% sure of the details, so
>look it up and post it.

"Life Master" is a bridge rating, not a chess rating, you idiot.
Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

stinson@ihu1n.UUCP (Stinson) (12/10/85)

****

Could we please raise the level of discussion in this newsgroup
a bit. Name-calling is quite unnecessary. Life Master is indeed
a "category" recognized by the USCF just as described by Ray Frank.
I believe it is achieved by maintaining a master's rating for 300
consecutive rated games. It is a title, not a rating, and is
conferred for life (hence the name). I believe there is also a
special "master emeritus" title that has been awarded by the USCF
in some special cases to those who had clearly been master strength
at a time before the rating system existed, but were no longer
as strong as they once were. I believe this group is guaranteed
a rating of at least 2300 regardless of performance. I welcome
any corrections to the above, but I would prefer to not be called
an idiot as thanks for sharing what I do remember....

dfw@ll1.UUCP (Dan Webster) (12/10/85)

> In article <13731@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> >By the way my very informed friend, you forget to mention the category of
> >Life Master.  What is it you ask?  I'm not 10000000% sure of the details, so
> >look it up and post it.
>
> "Life Master" is a bridge rating, not a chess rating, you idiot.
> Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
> Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

"Life Master" may be a bridge rating, and he may be an "Idiot", but
"Life Master" is a title awarded to players who maintain a "master's"
rating for 200 (or something like that!) games. (I'm not sure if they
have to be games played against players of master strength?)

ron@ada-uts.UUCP (12/11/85)

I think that this guy Ray is really missing the point.

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (12/11/85)

> In article <13731@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
> >By the way my very informed friend, you forget to mention the category of
> >Life Master.  What is it you ask?  I'm not 10000000% sure of the details, so
> >look it up and post it.
>
> "Life Master" is a bridge rating, not a chess rating, you idiot.
> Matt		University	crawford@anl-mcs.arpa
> Crawford	of Chicago	ihnp4!oddjob!matt

Poor Matt, he's lived in the windy city too long, seems his brain has been blown
away.

Matt, the term life master is certainly a bonifide chess category.  If it is
also used in bridge (real men don't play bridge) then fine.

ray

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (12/14/85)

In article <1076@oddjob.UUCP> matt@oddjob.UUCP (Matt Crawford) writes:
>In article <13731@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>>By the way my very informed friend, you forget to mention the category of
>>Life Master.  What is it you ask?  I'm not 10000000% sure of the details, so
>>look it up and post it.
>"Life Master" is a bridge rating, not a chess rating, you idiot.

It is also a USCF title.  It is awarded if you have played 300 games with
a USCF rating of at least 2200. I don't think they have to be consecutive.

--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/17/85)

In article <34800003@ada-uts.UUCP> ron@ada-uts.UUCP writes:

>I think that this guy Ray is really missing the point.

"This guy Ray" (Ray Frank) "has been missing the point" in several other
news groups (net.music, net.women, net.religion, net.abortion) and has
received the similar responces of astonishement and outrage ( in some
groups it's a standard responce ;-).

"Ignore it! Maybe it will go away...."
--
Disclamer: My employers go to church every Sunday, listen to Country music,
and donate money to GOP. I am just a deviant.
--------------------------------+...!{ihnp4|randvax}!ucla-cs!uclapic!oac6!oleg

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (12/20/85)

> In article <34800003@ada-uts.UUCP> ron@ada-uts.UUCP writes:
> >
> >I think that this guy Ray is really missing the point.
>
> "This guy Ray" (Ray Frank) "has been missing the point" in several other
> news groups (net.music, net.women, net.religion, net.abortion) and has
> received the similar responces of astonishement and outrage ( in some
> groups it's a standard responce ;-).

My apologies to those who shouldn't have to put up with this posting but:

I was hoping people like Oleg wouldn't pollute this news group as he did others.
I should point out the reason for Oleg's outrage at me.  I once made some
comments concerning my feelings for some rock stars, Zappa being one of them.
It seems that Oleg worships the ground that Zappa floats over and well the
rest is history.  Oleg apparently doesn't believe in freedom of expression or
speech when it comes to criticising his beloved rock stars.  Maybe that's the
way things are in the country he's from, but not over here buddy.
But in any case, enough.  This is net.games.chess, not net.emotional.wailing.
Get the picture Oleg?  Don't follow me around the net with your petty peeves.

ray (monkey on by back) frank

oleg@birtch.UUCP (Oleg Kiselev) (12/22/85)

In article <14138@rochester.UUCP> ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) writes:
>> In article <34800003@ada-uts.UUCP> ron@ada-uts.UUCP writes:
>> >I think that this guy Ray is really missing the point.
>> "This guy Ray" (Ray Frank) "has been missing the point" in several other
>> news groups (net.music, net.women, net.religion, net.abortion) and has
>> received the similar responces of astonishement and outrage ( in some
>> groups it's a standard responce ;-).
>I was hoping people like Oleg wouldn't pollute this news group as he did others
>I should point out the reason for Oleg's outrage at me.  I once made some
>comments concerning my feelings for some rock stars, Zappa being one of them.
>It seems that Oleg worships the ground that Zappa floats over and well the
>rest is history.  Oleg apparently doesn't believe in freedom of expression or
>speech when it comes to criticising his beloved rock stars.  Maybe that's the
>way things are in the country he's from, but not over here buddy.
>But in any case, enough.  This is net.games.chess, not net.emotional.wailing.
>Get the picture Oleg?  Don't follow me around the net with your petty peeves.
>
>ray (monkey on by back) frank

Darn, Ray is getting the point! Fragile egos are so precious...
As for "life master" -- I guess you were not TOTALLY clue-less. But then again,
as you pointed out, where I come from they use international titles and
"algebraic" notation only.

As for Zappa - no, I don't worship him. I worship Kate Bush.

By the way, the follow-ups to this will go to net.flame where they belong.