[net.games.chess] KK rematch on hold

trb@haddock.UUCP (01/07/86)

From: trb (Andrew Tannenbaum)
To: net.games.ches
--------

Gleaned from the NYTimes 1/7 --

Looks like the Kasparov-Karpov rematch, originally scheduled for
February 10, isn't going to start then.  Kasparov is protesting that it's
ridiculous for him to have to play for the championship again in
February, then again this coming fall when the regular championship,
on the new two-year cycle, is scheduled to start.  All this, of
course, after having played 48+24 games this past year.

Kasparov recently beat Jan Timman in a match in the Netherlands, and
Karpov is currently playing a tournament in Vienna.

And now, my opinion --

Kasparov has control in this one, as he is popular, and Karpov is not,
and Karpov is up to his neck in trouble besides.  Karpov gained his
title by forfeit.  Karpov's personality is colorless.  Karpov is in
trouble with the Soviet government over his harboring foriegn currency
which he made in semi-licit dealings over chess computer endorsements.
Karpov was allegedly in a drug-induced state of ill health at the end
of the 48-game match and probably is still recovering.  Karpov lost the
match that was supposed to be his crowning achievement before becoming
a communist party official.  Who knows what will happen now?  (He'll
still become a cp official.)

I think the current championship scheme (where the champion has only to
defend his title against the winner of an interzonal elimation
tournament, and then he gets a rematch if he loses) favors the reigning
champion too much.  It seems to say that the champion is more important
than the championship.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Boston, MA   617-247-1155

--------

stern@bnl.UUCP (Eric G. Stern) (01/09/86)

> From: trb (Andrew Tannenbaum)
> To: net.games.ches
> --------
>
> And now, my opinion --
>
> Kasparov has control in this one, as he is popular, and Karpov is not,
> and Karpov is up to his neck in trouble besides.  Karpov gained his
> title by forfeit.  Karpov's personality is colorless.  Karpov is in
> trouble with the Soviet government over his harboring foriegn currency
> which he made in semi-licit dealings over chess computer endorsements.
> Karpov was allegedly in a drug-induced state of ill health at the end
> of the 48-game match and probably is still recovering.  Karpov lost the
> match that was supposed to be his crowning achievement before becoming
> a communist party official.  Who knows what will happen now?  (He'll
> still become a cp official.)
>
> --------

On the other hand, Kasparov is doubly damned in the eyes
of the Soviet goverment because he is half Jewish and
half Armenian, neither of which are good things to
be in Soviet Russia.  Also, I get the impression
Kasparov takes no interest in Soviet or Communist party
affairs and would be just as happy somewhere else.
Karpov got the Soviet Chess Federation to put through
the rules in his favor before the last tournament
because he was the favorite of the Soviet government.
It would be nice to have a chess match that really
picked the best player rather than introduce all this
politics and favoritism.

				Eric G. Stern

trb@haddock.UUCP (01/14/86)

> On the other hand, Kasparov is doubly damned in the eyes
> of the Soviet goverment because he is half Jewish and
> half Armenian, neither of which are good things to
> be in Soviet Russia.  Also, I get the impression
> Kasparov takes no interest in Soviet or Communist party
> affairs and would be just as happy somewhere else.
> Karpov got the Soviet Chess Federation to put through
> the rules in his favor before the last tournament
> because he was the favorite of the Soviet government.
> It would be nice to have a chess match that really
> picked the best player rather than introduce all this
> politics and favoritism.
>
> 				Eric G. Stern

You are underestimating Kasparov's power in the Soviet Union.  I think
most of my info is from Chess Life magazine over the past year,
especially from articles by Lev Alburt.  Kasparov has connections in
the CP that are higher than Karpov's.  As I recall very vaguely,
Kasparov is the darling of a Politburo official (from his home
Azerbaijan, if I'm not mistaken), whereas Karpov's buddy in the
political hierarchy is at a lower level.

Kasparov is "half Jewish" -- His father's family is named Weinstein,
his mother's was Kasparian, which was Russianized.  This is something
of a disadvantage to him, but all the Russian chess champions for a
long time have been Jews (except Karpov), so while it would be
preferable to have a "great white hope" like Karpov, I think that the
Sovs have grown accustomed to Jews in chess.

Kasparov is very well treated in the Soviet Union, he is one of the few
people with a personal computer, he is living with a famous actress,
he's young, suave, etc.  He's not suffering too much.  He seems to
be a symbol that Moscow can point to and say "look, we're modern."

I agree that Kasparov would probably rather be a New Yorker, but he's
playing his cards properly.  He can't just just go shooting his mouth
off about defecting without getting his head handed to him.  (Yes, a
mangled mingled metaphor.  Don't bother me.)

I don't pretend that life in the USSR is all that simple.  I posted
this stuff because there really isn't much on it in the US pop press.
Check out the CL articles by Lev Alburt.  Are there any other
articles?

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Boston, MA   617-247-1155

tedrick@ernie.BERKELEY.EDU (Tom Tedrick) (01/15/86)

> [ ... ] but all the Russian chess champions for a
>long time have been Jews (except Karpov), so while it would be
>preferable to have a "great white hope" like Karpov, [ ... ]

Poor Karpov, the all Russian Communist Son of the Working Class.
To be beaten by a Jew ... doesn't say much for Soviet attempts
to prove the superiority of Soviet culture and eradicate Jewish
culture.

OK, here is a list of Soviet World Champions:

Botvinnik (Jewish)
Smyslov   (not Jewish, I believe. I played him once ...)
Tal       (Jewish)
Petrosian (not Jewish, I believe.)
Spassky   (not Jewish, I believe.)
Karpov    (not Jewish.)
Kasparov  (Jewish)

In case it is of interest, here is a list of non-Soviet
World Champions:

Steinitz  (Jewish)
Lasker    (Jewish)
Capablanca  (not)