[net.games.chess] Chess Computers

derek@uwvax.UUCP (Derek Zahn) (11/25/85)

I recently bought a chess computer (reviewed somewhat inanely in a companion
article).  I am wondering what people out there think are ways to get the most
out of it -- I hope to learn a great deal from it, and would be interested
in seeing how other people use chess computers as a training aid.

--
Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!derek

ray@rochester.UUCP (Ray Frank) (11/26/85)

> I recently bought a chess computer (reviewed somewhat inanely in a companion
> article).  I am wondering what people out there think are ways to get the most
> out of it -- I hope to learn a great deal from it, and would be interested
> in seeing how other people use chess computers as a training aid.
>
> --
> Derek Zahn @ wisconsin
> ...!{allegra,heurikon,ihnp4,seismo,sfwin,ucbvax,uwm-evax}!uwvax!derek
> derek@wisc-rsch.arpa

I purchased a CC9 several years ago.  I am fairly happy with it.  It has
a somewhat limited opening book.  Recently I purchased a 4mhz R65c02-4 and
cranked my machine up from 1.4 mhz (factory setting) to 4.9mhz.  It now
plays at least several hundred points highter.  I also purchased a new
machine from Fidelity called the Excellence.  The Excellence has a 3mhz
clock.  This machine has an "estimated rating?" of over 2000.  As far
as I can determine, the program is not significantly different than my
3 year old CC9.  It is advertised as playing much better than the CC9.  But
this is due I believe to the higher clock (3 vs 1.4 mhz), not due to an
improvement in it's program.  My machine announced a mate in four against it
with the settings fairly even.
Anyone out there know if my evaluation of the Excellence is true?

brucec@tektronix.UUCP (Bruce Cheney) (01/16/86)

Chess Computers Ruined My Life

    I used to be a 'chess fanatic', tournaments, postal matches, radio matches, a tournament director and organizer, newsletter editor, etc., etc.  But then
around 1978, these cheap chess computers started coming out. At first they were
really bad players.  But they started getting better. Now you can buy an expert level machine (>2000 USCF) for $100-200. About the same price as a high quality
scientific calculator. The tournament 'cheaters' (who used to run to their hotelrooms after you made a move to look it up in a book) now use the machines
throughout the whole game, instead of just cheating in the opening. Postal
players are starting to do the same thing (see the latest Chess Life).
    Before hand-held calculators, I thought it would be useful and impressive
to be able to do square roots and logs in my head, or at least by hand. But
with the advent of the calculator, memorizing log tables seems like a real
waste of time. By analogy, busting my gut for years to become an expert also
seems like a real waste of time now that anyone can purchase the same capabilityfor $100.

tekcrd!brucec

trb@haddock.UUCP (01/18/86)

/* brucec@tektronix in haddock:net.games.ches */
/* ---------- "Chess Computers" ---------- */
> Chess Computers Ruined My Life
>
> I used to be a 'chess fanatic', tournaments, postal matches, radio
> matches, a tournament director and organizer, newsletter editor, etc.,
> etc.  But then around 1978, these cheap chess computers started coming
> out.

Bruce, to me, a chess fanatic is a person who loves to play and study
chess.  Whether the moves are conveyed by mail, radio, or whatever,
it's the moves that are important, not the conveyance.  Directing
tournaments, editing newsletters, being a chess federation official,
etc, are commendable activities and they have nothing to do with
chess, the game.  Organizers often have to choose between organizing
and playing.

You grieve that tournament cheaters consult their chess toys now, along
with their books.  This doesn't change the game one whit, it just
annoys tournament players and directors.  How often does this happen?
Rarely, I imagine.  I never notice it, and I play in a few tournaments
a year.  A player certainly can't run off after every move (even at
30/90).  If a player had the time to do so, he would certainly arouse
suspicion.  A cheater could always consult a friend if he cared to, the
availability of resources really hasn't changed much.

I'll agree that computers can help cheaters.  I just don't think that
your arguments support the implied assertion that computers hurt chess.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Boston, MA   617-247-1155

brucec@tektronix.UUCP (Bruce Cheney) (01/21/86)

In article <102100007@haddock.UUCP> trb@haddock.UUCP writes:
>Directing
>tournaments, editing newsletters, being a chess federation official,
>etc, are commendable activities and they have nothing to do with
>chess, the game.
>
>	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Boston, MA   617-247-1155

Well, Andrew, thanks for the reply. Your opinion is probably typical
of most chess players, especially in regard to directing tournaments,
editing newsletter, etc. This myopic and inaccurate assertion goes a
long way towards explaining why chess is relatively unpopular in the
US: most players lack the perspective to understand the relationship
between the organization and promotion of an activity and the benefits
that activity will receive. Therefore, few players take the time or
effort to become TD's (or editors, etc.), because they don't understand
what it has to do with "the game."  (The true chess professional is the
exception to this observation. He/she knows that it is not enough to
just to play, they must organize, write, and promote if there is to be
a future, not only for themselves but for chess.)

Here's a question for you tournament players:

Do you own the latest chess rulebook ?

What ??  You play a game for money and you don't even know the rules ?
Amazing ! And some people claim chess isn't gambling !!

tekcrd!brucec