[net.games.chess] Chessker

ravikuma@umn-cs.UUCP (02/26/86)

 This is in response to a question on chesskers. It
is just the game of checkers played with chess pieces.
Some of the important rules to be observed are: Use
only pawns and minor pieces as men (so there would be less
confusion when kings are around). In the initial assembly,
take care to have the pawns on the bottom ranks, giving
opportunity for the minor pieces to be eliminated as
men, and most important of all, replace the minor pieces
by pawns whenever possible.

In article <12100002@umn-cs.UUCP> ravikuma@umn-cs.UUCP writes:
> This is in response to a question on chesskers. It
>is just the game of checkers played with chess pieces.

There was a game written up in Martin Gardner's Mathematical Games column
in Scientific American at one point (60's?) which I am fairly sure was
called Chesskers.  It is played on the squares of one color on a chess-
or checker-board, using both chess and checker pieces.  I believe the
initial setup is as follows:

  B   K   K   N
    M   M   M   M
  M   M   M   M
    -   -   -   -
  -   -   -   -
    m   m   m   m
  m   m   m   m
    n   k   k   b

The men are checkers men, and the kings are checkers kings.  The bishop is
an ordinary chess bishop.  The knight is called a cook; it moves three spaces
in one direction and one at right angles (unlike the chess knight which moves
two and one).  I may have the knight and bishop interchanged.

I think the object, as in checkers, was to deprive one's opponent of any legal
moves (usually by capturing all his pieces).  I don't remember the details of
the rules, such as whether men can be promoted to any piece or just kings, or
whether and in what cases pieces are forced to capture.