[net.sf-lovers] A real lulu of a typo...

OC.TREI@CU20B.ARPA (09/17/85)

From: Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@CU20B.ARPA>

     Has anyone  noticed  the  a  certain  new  publication  from
Bluejay books? It is one  of those expensive 'trade'  paperbacks,
with wide margins, large type, and profuse (poor)  illustrations.

     I  have  not  named  the  author  and  title  as  these  are
indeterminate.  The front cover claims it to be "Rogue Queen"  by
"L. Spraque de  Camp".  The  edge of  the binding,  on the  other
hand, declares it to be "Rouge Queen" by the same mysterious  and
hitherto unknown  author. Opening  it, you  find that  while  the
title 'Rogue Queen' seems to be intended, the book was  allegedly
written by our old friend L. Sprague deCamp.

     We  are  all  aware  that  the  standards  of  spelling  and
proofreading have declined dramatically  over the last decade  or
so, but this is the most blatant example I have yet seen. When  I
saw this  in the  bookstore edge-on,  I seriously  thought for  a
moment that Rouge Queen was the  title!  If I were Mr. DeCamp,  I
would be VERY upset with Bluejay.

    Can anyone think of another cover typo so careless?  This is
definitely the worst I have ever seen.

						Peter
						oc.trei@cu20b.arpa

-------

tom@utcsri.UUCP (Tom Nadas) (09/20/85)

The first ACE edition of Spider Robinson's TIME TRAVELERS STRICTLY CASH
proudly exclaims:

	TIIME TRAVELERS STRICTLY CASH
	  ^

rjs

joel@peora.UUCP (Joel Upchurch) (09/20/85)

>From: Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@CU20B.ARPA>
>
>     I  have  not  named  the  author  and  title  as  these  are
>indeterminate.  The front cover claims it to be "Rogue Queen"  by
>"L. Spraque de  Camp".  The  edge of  the binding,  on the  other
>hand, declares it to be "Rouge Queen" by the same mysterious  and
>hitherto unknown  author. Opening  it, you  find that  while  the
>title 'Rogue Queen' seems to be intended, the book was  allegedly
>written by our old friend L. Sprague deCamp.
>
>    Can anyone think of another cover typo so careless?  This is
>definitely the worst I have ever seen.

        I agree that this one is a lulu.  Isaac Asimov  has  also  had
        some  problems with getting his name spelled correctly on some
        of his books.
--
     Joel Upchurch
     Perkin-Elmer Southern Development Center

ariels@orca.UUCP (Ariel Shattan) (09/23/85)

> The first ACE edition of Spider Robinson's TIME TRAVELERS STRICTLY CASH
> proudly exclaims:
>
> 	TIIME TRAVELERS STRICTLY CASH
> 	  ^
>
> rjs

And Spider autographs these as "Spiider Robiinson"

-rel

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (09/29/85)

> From: Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@CU20B.ARPA>
>     Can anyone think of another cover typo so careless?  This is
> definitely the worst I have ever seen.

How about Belmont Books on their 1967 book TIME UNTAMED?  The binding says:
	TIME UNTAMED - Azimov, Bradbury, others

He wasn't exactly an unknown author even then.  (He gets misspelled in another
Blluejay Book also, on the title page on SHERLOCK HOLMES THROUGH TIME AND
SPACE, as "Issac Asimov".)  But misspelling both the author's name *and* the
title on the cover must be a new record.

This isn't an on-the-binding error, but Ace Books, in their "Thieves' World"
books, has an introduction which has 7 typos on one page--and they've re-used
it uncorrected in several of the books!

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

ecl@mtgzz.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (09/29/85)

Read Anne McCaffrey's introduction to GET OFF THE UNICORN and find out how the
title got changed from "Get [meaning offspring] of the Unicorn"!

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl

barry@ames.UUCP (Kenn Barry) (10/05/85)

> From: Peter G. Trei <OC.TREI@CU20B.ARPA>
>     Can anyone think of another cover typo so careless?  This is
> definitely the worst I have ever seen.

	Not on the cover, but at least as significant: the SF Book Club
edition of THE MOTE IN GOD'S EYE has a typo changing the sentence, "the
children should have been spaced" (ie, out the airlock), to "the children
should have been spared", thus reversing the meaning 180 degrees. When
I got my copy signed, Niven also corrected the typo. What worse for an
author, than to have a typo actually alter the meaning of his story?

-  From the Crow's Nest  -                      Kenn Barry
                                                NASA-Ames Research Center
                                                Moffett Field, CA
 	ELECTRIC AVENUE:	 {ihnp4,vortex,dual,nsc,hao,hplabs}!ames!barry