[net.games.chess] Rules governing chess programs

sdgoodwin@watdragon.UUCP (Scott Goodwin) (03/18/86)

When the operator of a computer chess program changes levels
(or any other program parameters) or instructs the program to
play its current best move immediately to avoid loss on time,
is this a violation of the rule regarding advice from a third
party?
Are there special rules adopted by FIDE, USCF or CFC governing
play by computational machines?

Scott D. Goodwin, CS Dept., U. Waterloo, Waterloo, Ontario, Canada N2L 3G1
CSNET:sdgoodwin%watdragon@waterloo.csnet                   BELL:1-519-742-7234
ARPA :sdgoodwin%watdragon%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
UUCP :...!{allegra|clyde|linus|utzoo|inhp4|decvax}!watmath!watdragon!sdgoodwin

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (03/19/86)

> When the operator of a computer chess program changes levels
> (or any other program parameters) or instructs the program to
> play its current best move immediately to avoid loss on time,
> is this a violation of the rule regarding advice from a third
> party?

Yes.  The only thing the operator is allowed to do is to enter
time information if the program requests it.  (I think)

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (03/22/86)

I believe that the operator is also allowed to offer and accept draws,
and to resign for the machine.
--

Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

davet@oakhill.UUCP (03/26/86)

In article <5136@alice.uUCp> ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) writes:

>> When the operator of a computer chess program changes levels
>> (or any other program parameters) or instructs the program to
>> play its current best move immediately to avoid loss on time,
>> is this a violation of the rule regarding advice from a third
>> party?
>
>Yes.  The only thing the operator is allowed to do is to enter
>time information if the program requests it.  (I think)

That is correct.  Before the start of the game the operator can set any
parameters (openings for instance) but once the game starts only moves
can be entered and the time remaining but only if the computer is smart enough
to request that information on its own.

If the computer has to be restarted for any reason then the same parameters
must be used (as far as possible.)

The computer operator is considered to be exactly the same as an aid to a
blind human player.  The game should progress as though there was no third
party except for resigning or requesting or agreeing to a draw on behalf of
the computer.

  --  Dave Trissel  {ihnp4,seismo}!ut-sally!im4u!oakhill!davet