[net.games.chess] Perfect Play?

ugfailau@sunybcs.UUCP (Fai Lau) (03/09/86)

	I have the following question, I am interested in what people
in the net think about it.

	It seems that if any strategic game (i.e. chess) is played flawlessly
by all participants making the best possible moves (assuming the entire game
tree is available for reference), there is only one possible outcome for
each type of game; either one player wins or a tie if the game is
so allowed. Since in reality it is impossible to built an entire game tree
for all but the most elementary strategic games such as tic tac toe, it is
impossible to know who is 'supposed' to win in any given type of game.
Therefore, it seems that the one who wins is the one who makes the fewer
mistakes during the couse of the game.
	Now let's consider a game tree is available for SCORING ONLY for
the game of chess. Every arc of the tree is assigned a point value denoting
the quality of the move comparing to other moves branching from a common
node. That is, the best move following every node carries the point value
of one, second best two, third best three, etc.. The tree is traversed
by a pointer. Whenever a player makes a move, the pointer traverses to the
corresponding node through the corresponding arc. The player than picks
up the point value of the arc and adds it to his score. So at any given
moment of the game, the player who has the lower score is making less
deviation from a perfect play.
	The question is:

	IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER OF THE GAME TO ACTUALLY HAVE
ACQUIRED LOWER SCORE? IN OTHER WORD, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER TO HAVE
MADE FEWER DEVIATION FROM A PERFECT PLAY EVEN THOUGH HE LOST THE GAME??

ark@alice.UucP (Andrew Koenig) (03/11/86)

>	IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER OF THE GAME TO ACTUALLY HAVE
> ACQUIRED LOWER SCORE? IN OTHER WORD, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER TO HAVE
> MADE FEWER DEVIATION FROM A PERFECT PLAY EVEN THOUGH HE LOST THE GAME??

Sure.  For instance:  there might be more than one winning move
from a position; the second-best move is second only in the sense
that it wins less quickly than optimum play.

dpb@philabs.UUCP (Paul Benjamin) (03/11/86)

> 	I have the following question, I am interested in what people
> in the net think about it.
>
> 	It seems that if any strategic game (i.e. chess) is played flawlessly
> by all participants making the best possible moves (assuming the entire game
> tree is available for reference), there is only one possible outcome for
> each type of game; either one player wins or a tie if the game is
> so allowed. Since in reality it is impossible to built an entire game tree
> for all but the most elementary strategic games such as tic tac toe, it is
> impossible to know who is 'supposed' to win in any given type of game.
> Therefore, it seems that the one who wins is the one who makes the fewer
> mistakes during the couse of the game.
> 	Now let's consider a game tree is available for SCORING ONLY for
> the game of chess. Every arc of the tree is assigned a point value denoting
> the quality of the move comparing to other moves branching from a common
> node. That is, the best move following every node carries the point value
> of one, second best two, third best three, etc.. The tree is traversed
> by a pointer. Whenever a player makes a move, the pointer traverses to the
> corresponding node through the corresponding arc. The player than picks
> up the point value of the arc and adds it to his score. So at any given
> moment of the game, the player who has the lower score is making less
> deviation from a perfect play.
> 	The question is:
>
> 	IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER OF THE GAME TO ACTUALLY HAVE
> ACQUIRED LOWER SCORE? IN OTHER WORD, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER TO HAVE
> MADE FEWER DEVIATION FROM A PERFECT PLAY EVEN THOUGH HE LOST THE GAME??

Yes. Since you have scored the moves qualitatively, and not
quantitatively, it is possible for a winner to choose second-best
moves very often, but still have a very good game, and for the loser
to choose the best move on every move but the last, when he chooses
a second-best move. Unfortunately for him, any move but the best move lost
instantly.

trb@haddock (03/11/86)

> Whenever a player makes a move, the pointer traverses to the
> corresponding node through the corresponding arc. The player than picks
> up the point value of the arc and adds it to his score. So at any given
> moment of the game, the player who has the lower score is making less
> deviation from a perfect play.
> 	The question is:
>
> 	IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER OF THE GAME TO ACTUALLY HAVE
> ACQUIRED LOWER SCORE? IN OTHER WORD, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER TO HAVE
> MADE FEWER DEVIATION FROM A PERFECT PLAY EVEN THOUGH HE LOST THE GAME??

Clearly, in most any position with substantial material on the board,
either player can win, with the help of the other player.  Let's say I
(a mediocre player) am playing a grandmaster.  After 25 moves, I may be
busted, with the GM having racked up a big "score."  Within a few
helpful blunderous moves, he can help me mate him.  Higher score, but
still lost.  This isn't a typical situation, but applies to a more
subtle extent in actual play.  (I regret that I know this from personal
experience.)

Herein lies your problem:

> Therefore, it seems that the one who wins is the one who makes the fewer
> mistakes during the couse of the game.

This isn't true.  What is essentially true is that the last player to
get caught making a mistake loses.

Also, it is practically impossible to come up with exact scores for
positions early in the game.  We make judgement calls, which is what
gives chess its variety.

	Andrew Tannenbaum   Interactive   Boston, MA   617-247-1155

landy@inmet.UUCP (03/11/86)

Quite easily!  (At least with your scoring system)  Plenty
of people have had the humiliating experience of having a
superior position, lots of extra material, and walking into
a mate in one move.

dim@whuxlm.UUCP (McCooey David I) (03/12/86)

> 	Now let's consider a game tree is available for SCORING ONLY for
> the game of chess. Every arc of the tree is assigned a point value denoting
> the quality of the move comparing to other moves branching from a common
> node. That is, the best move following every node carries the point value
> of one, second best two, third best three, etc.. The tree is traversed
> by a pointer. Whenever a player makes a move, the pointer traverses to the
> corresponding node through the corresponding arc. The player than picks
> up the point value of the arc and adds it to his score. So at any given
> moment of the game, the player who has the lower score is making less
> deviation from a perfect play.
> 	The question is:
>
> 	IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER OF THE GAME TO ACTUALLY HAVE
> ACQUIRED LOWER SCORE? IN OTHER WORD, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER TO HAVE
> MADE FEWER DEVIATION FROM A PERFECT PLAY EVEN THOUGH HE LOST THE GAME??

Yes, it seems possible as follows:

The loser may be in a position at some point where there are very few
possible moves, so that a truly disasterous move may have a relatively
small point value.  Similarly, the winner could have made a slightly
inferior move at some point in the game where there were many possible
moves.  The point value of the winner's slight mistake could therefore
be larger than that of the loser's disasterous move.

It seems that the definition of perfect play needs to be better defined
than from a rank ordering of the moves in each position.  Even scaling
them so that the best move always has point value 1 and the worst move
always has point value, say, 1000 will not work because there will always
be positions where "almost anything will do" and others where "the
slightest mistake is fatal."

				Dave McCooey
				AT&T Bell Labs, Whippany
				ihnp4!whuxlk!dim

kwh@bentley.UUCP (KW Heuer) (03/12/86)

In article <2916@sunybcs.UUCP> sunybcs!ugfailau (Fai Lau) writes:
>Therefore, it seems that the one who wins is the one who makes the fewer
>mistakes during the couse of the game.

I've heard it said that the winner is the one who makes the second-to-
last mistake.

>	Now let's consider a game tree is available for SCORING ONLY for
>the game of chess. Every arc of the tree is assigned a point value denoting
>the quality of the move comparing to other moves branching from a common
>node. That is, the best move following every node carries the point value
>of one, second best two, third best three, etc..

Who decides which move is "best", "second best", etc.?  Let's take a
specific example: suppose I have three ways (a,b,c) to mate on the move,
one (d) which will throw away the mate threat but leave sufficient
material advantage for a clear win, one (e) which will stalemate, and one
(f) which is a losing blunder.  How would you assign numerical values
to these?  I think the only fair system is to compare against perfect
play; i.e. (a-d) are equally good, since they all win (although (a-c)
are "faster" wins); I'd assign them a score of zero.  (e) is a mistake,
since it converts a won game into a draw; I'd assign it a score of one
(along with any other move whose outcome is a draw after subsequent
perfect play).  (f) is a double-mistake, equivalent to a win->draw and
a draw->lose at the same time; I'd assign it a two.  These are the only
possible values in my scheme.  At the end of the game, your total score
is the number of mistakes you've made.

>	IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER OF THE GAME TO ACTUALLY HAVE
>ACQUIRED LOWER SCORE? IN OTHER WORD, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER TO HAVE
>MADE FEWER DEVIATION FROM A PERFECT PLAY EVEN THOUGH HE LOST THE GAME??

With my counting scheme, assuming the initial position is a draw under
perfect play (which seems extremely likely), each mistake changes the
game value by one, so if one player wins, he has made one less mistake
than his opponent.  The game ends in a draw iff both players have made
the same number of mistakes.

I realize that the "mistake-score" of a move cannot, in general, be
computed.  But how else are you going to assign a score?

Karl W. Z. Heuer (ihnp4!bentley!kwh), The Walking Lint.

tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith) (03/13/86)

Consider an ending of K+P vs. K+P.  White pawn on a7, black on h2,
white king on a2, black on h7, white to move.

If white has the higher score, then perfect play by both sides will lead
to a win by white, with white still having a higher score.

If white has a score 10 or more lower than black, he can make a king move,
which gives black a winning position.  Since white only has 9 possible
moves, he can't make a move worse than 9, so his score will stay lower
than blacks, and thus black will win with a higher score.

If white has a score 9 or less lower than black, then let
white play these moves: a8Q, Qh1, Qh2, and let black respond with
three perfect moves.

The situation is now K+Q vs. K, with whites score no lower than
nine lower than blacks score.

Now let white, while keeping his king at a2, play a series of checks
by placing his unprotected queen next to the black king, making sure
that the black king has a move available other than taking the queen.

Since the white queen always has at least fourteen moves, and at most
three moves can satisfy the above conditions, there are at least 11
moves better than the ones white plays above.

Let black respond to these checks by not taking the queen.  There are
at most four moves available to black, so he can make no move worse
than fourth best, thus the score of white goes up at least 7 for each
check in this series.

Let white include at least two checks in the above series.  Then white
will have a higher score than black, but still have a won game.  Let both
sides then switch to perfect play, and white will win with a higher score.

--
Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

rh@paisley.ac.uk (Robert Hamilton) (03/14/86)

In article <5112@alice.uUCp> ark@alice.UUCP writes:
>>	IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER OF THE GAME TO ACTUALLY HAVE
>> ACQUIRED LOWER SCORE? IN OTHER WORD, IS IT POSSIBLE FOR THE LOSER TO HAVE
>> MADE FEWER DEVIATION FROM A PERFECT PLAY EVEN THOUGH HE LOST THE GAME??

The discussion makes little sense using the scoring method suggested
A bad (not perfect) MUST be given the score of BEST POSSIBLE POSITION
the player can now get through PERFECT play from this point.
SO if the loser makes only ONE non-perfect move which loses by force
hos score must be - infinity forthat move.

IN fact this brings an interesting point...
For the above scoring method to be valid the game tree MUST be FINITE
(taken from the first move)
Ie from an move 1 tere MUST be a forced win for white or a forced
draw for black.
The question : IS THERE ?
If there is not I think that chess might be considered non-deterministic
in the sense that the only analysis possible is heuristic.

PS We are fairly new on the news network.
Is anyone out there interested in some skittles by mail ?

--
UUCP:	...!seismo!mcvax!ukc!paisley!rh
DARPA:	rh%cs.paisley.ac.uk		| Post: Paisley College

hemphill@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu (Thomas S. Hemphill) (03/16/86)

In article <2916@sunybcs.UUCP> ugfailau@sunybcs.UUCP (Fai Lau) writes:

>Therefore, it seems that the one who wins is the one who makes the fewer
>mistakes during the couse of the game.

To get right to the heart of the matter, this assertion is not correct.
The loser is the person who made the last mistake.  The winner is his
opponent.

As others have pointed out, the loser can have a better (i.e. lower) total
"point score" (one for best move, two for next best, etc.) than the winner.
This should not be surprising, since one bad move, even the "second best"
could lose for a player who had outplayed his opponent for the rest of the
game.  But there is another way of assigning point totals that *does* work.

0pts -- assigned to all moves that keep a won game won or a drawn game drawn.
        Also assigned to all moves in a lost position.

1pt  -- assigned to a poor move that causes a won game to become theoretically
        drawn, or a drawn game to become lost.

2pts -- assigned to a blunder that causes a won game to become lost.

One other detail--is chess a theoretical win for white?  If so, then you need
to give one point to black just for being black.

ugfailau@sunybcs.UUCP (Fai Lau) (03/18/86)

> Since the white queen always has at least fourteen moves, and at most
> three moves can satisfy the above conditions, there are at least 11
> moves better than the ones white plays above.
>
> Let black respond to these checks by not taking the queen.  There are
> at most four moves available to black, so he can make no move worse
> than fourth best, thus the score of white goes up at least 7 for each
> check in this series.
>
> Let white include at least two checks in the above series.  Then white
> will have a higher score than black, but still have a won game.  Let both
> sides then switch to perfect play, and white will win with a higher score.
>
> --
> Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim

	This is a perfect case to illustrate what I mentioned in my follow
up to the original article. In this example it is clear that Black
manages to avoid cranking his points up by being in a totally defensive
position where his best choice happens to be his only choice.
It is interesting to note that no matter what kind of scoring
scheme is used or how wide the score gap between White and Black,
White will eventually 'catch up' with Black by using the second best
(not necessary the worst) move strategy to force Black to make the
best (which may often be the only legal) move in every response.
	Well, guess the truly great chess players are not necessary
the ones who make perfect plays, but the ones who can AFFORD
deviations.

|  Fai  Lau                                                                   |
|  ECE / CS  SUNYAB                                                           |
|  BI: ugfailau@sunybcs                                                       |

ugfailau@sunybcs.UUCP (Fai Lau) (03/18/86)

> > Since the white queen always has at least fourteen moves, and at most
>>
> > Let white include at least two checks in the above series.  Then white
> > will have a higher score than black, but still have a won game.  Let both
> > sides then switch to perfect play, and white will win with a higher score.
> >
> > --
> > Tim Smith       sdcrdcf!ism780c!tim || ima!ism780!tim || ihnp4!cithep!tim
>
> 	This is a perfect case to illustrate what I mentioned in my follow
> up to the original article. In this example it is clear that Black
> (not necessary the worst) move strategy to force Black to make the
> best (which may often be the only legal) move in every response.

	It seems that I posted the previous article in a hurry,
without looking at the end game situation carefully. The basic
philosophy is the same, however. The case was actually that Black
was helping White to increase his score by not making his best move
which would be to take the queen. With queen's many move options,
White could pile up his points with ease.

|  Fai  Lau                                                                   |
|  ECE / CS  SUNYAB                                                           |
|  BI: ugfailau@sunybcs                                                       |

ags@pucc-h (Dave Seaman) (03/28/86)

In article <39@paisley.ac.uk> rh@cs.paisley.ac.uk (Robert Hamilton) writes:
>Ie from an move 1 tere MUST be a forced win for white or a forced
>draw for black.
>The question : IS THERE ?
>If there is not I think that chess might be considered non-deterministic
>in the sense that the only analysis possible is heuristic.

In tic-tac-toe there is no forced win for the first player or the second.
Are you claiming that tic-tac-toe might be considered non-deterministic
in the sense that the only analysis possible is heuristic?
--
Dave Seaman	  					pur-ee!pucc-h!ags