[net.micro.amiga] Amiga monitor

jerem@tekgvs.UUCP (Jere Marrs) (09/02/85)

I posted a question earlier on this newsgroup regarding a monitor to use
with both the Commodore C128 and the Amiga. Since that time, I have learned
a bit about the Amiga monitor. From the Commodore Information Network (or
whatever) on CompuServe, I found the following:

	Screen size:			13 inches diagonal
	Display:			    RGB input allowing display of
					    up to 4096 colors, and 80 columns
					    by 25 rows of text.
	Bandwidth                           Greater than 10 MHz
	Dot pitch:	                    0.39 mm
	Controls:			    Color, tint, brightness, contrast,
					    volume, vertical hold, horizontal
					    position.
	Inputs:				    RGB analog and sync signals, digital					    RGBI, NTSC composite.
	Dimensions:                         360 x 376 x 327.5mm (WxDxH)
	Color:		              Standard Amiga color
	Power Requirements		  120V, 60 Hz, 0.8 A
	Other Features:	                    Video cassette recorder (1V p-p,
                                            75 ohms), TV tuner compatible.

It appears that this monitor will work with the C128 which has RGBI only
and the Amiga which has RGB analog.

				Jere M. Marrs
				Tektronix, Inc.
				Beaverton, Oregon
			{decvax,ihnp4,ucbvax,...}!tektronix!tekgvs!jerem

rbt@sftig.UUCP (R.Thomas) (09/03/85)

> 	Inputs:				    RGB analog and sync signals, digital
>						RGBI, NTSC composite.
>
> 				Jere M. Marrs
> 				Tektronix, Inc.

OK.  I give up.  Will somebody please explain what the difference between the
various color input types are.   What is the difference between RGBI digital,
RGB analog, and NTSC composite, and all the rest.  (The Apple RGB Color
card produces something called XRGB, what's that?)

Thanks for any light you can shed!

Rick Thomas
ihnp4!attunix!rbt

brian@sdcsvax.UUCP (Brian Kantor) (09/04/85)

In article <577@sftig.UUCP> rbt@sftig.UUCP (R.Thomas) writes:
>OK.  I give up.  Will somebody please explain what the difference between the
>various color input types are.   What is the difference between RGBI digital,
>RGB analog, and NTSC composite, and all the rest.
>Rick Thomas ihnp4!attunix!rbt

Quickly:
	Analog inputs allow you to have continuous shades displayed of
	the input signal - for monochrome, you get shades of grey; for
	RGB analog you can vary the three input Red Green and Blue
	inputs and get just about every color possible.  (Analog signals
	generally vary from 0 = black to 1 = full on volts).

	Digital inputs allow no shading - either the signal is full on
	or its off, and so with the color or brightness.  Digital RGB
	therefore allows you the primary colors, mixtures of any two of
	them, and black and white.

	RGBI adds an intensity input to (typically) cut brightness in
	half for all colors.  This gives you pastel shades of the
	primary and secondary colors, and adds a single shade of grey.

	NTSC (National Television Standards Council) (also known as
	Never Twice the Same Color) is a method of encoding analog color
	and brightness signals using a complex combination of amplitude
	and phase relationships into a single signal.  It is inherently
	limited in resolution when compared with RGB analog, and so is
	not used for medium or high resolution displays.  It also tends
	to be less stable, as the phase relationships are delicate.

	Composite signals usually refer to the inclusion of synchronizing
	signals combined with the video.  Sync can also be sent separately.
	Composite sync with vertical, horizontal, and color is customary
	with NTSC, a separate sync source is common with RGB.

	A small confusion exists here, in that a separate sync feed that
	contains both vertical and horizontal sync, rather than two
	separate sync feeds, can also be called composite sync.
	To top it all off, it is real common to feed composite sync on top
	of the green signal to an RGB monitor in order to reduce the number
	of pieces of coaxial cable running around underfoot.

Hope this helps some.

	Brian Kantor	UC San Diego Computer Graphics Lab

	decvax\ 	brian@ucsd.arpa
	akgua  >---  sdcsvax  --- brian
	ucbvax/		Kantor@Nosc

ron@brl-tgr.ARPA (Ron Natalie <ron>) (09/04/85)

> OK.  I give up.  Will somebody please explain what the difference between the
> various color input types are.   What is the difference between RGBI digital,
> RGB analog, and NTSC composite, and all the rest.  (The Apple RGB Color
> card produces something called XRGB, what's that?)

RGB ... red, green, blue.  A separate wire for color signal.  There
may be a separate sync signal or it may be overlaid on one of the color
signals.   RGB analog is just that.  The Sony profeel monitors put schmidt
triggers on the RGB inputs which shape them into either zero or one values.
NTSC is what your TV set use (nick named Never The Same Color).  It is the
method of composing all the colors into a single video signal that is also
compatible with Black and White monitors.  They do this by making the primary
signal the black and white intensity, and then have some side signals for
the color.  Look up "color" in Foley and Van Dam.

-Ron

zarifes@bnrmtv.UUCP (Kenneth Zarifes) (09/05/85)

Hello Amiga lovers!

     The Electronics Arts developers that I know all tell me that
their monitor of choice for the Amiga is the Sony KV-1311CR (which
also happens to be IBM compatible).
     They are so pleased with the Sony that they don't even care
how good the Amiga monitor is...they ALL use the Sony.
     The KV-1311CR takes digital and analog RGB and NTSC composite.
The dot pitch is 0.37mm and text resolution is 25x80.
It retails for $595.00 but I've seen it for $540.00.

There is a short (and not very well done) review of it in the Sept. '85
issue of Creative Computing.

It is also a damn good television.

Ta ta for now...

Ken Zarifes

root@tektronix.UUCP (The Super User) (09/05/85)

I can't be sure if this reached the net, so I'll repost. It was returned
to me with all kinds of errors reported. Here it is:

peterh@tekgvs.UUCP (Peter Hildebrandt) (09/06/85)

In article <577@sftig.UUCP> rbt@sftig.UUCP (R.Thomas) writes:
>What is the difference between RGBI digital,
>RGB analog, and NTSC composite, and all the rest.  (The Apple RGB Color
>card produces something called XRGB, what's that?)
>
>Thanks for any light you can shed!
>
>Rick Thomas
>ihnp4!attunix!rbt

TTL or RGB digital refers to a video source of three signals, RED, GREEN,
and BLUE, each of which has a digital signal level (0 or 5 Volts).  RGBI
digital adds a fourth bit, INTENSITY, which is also a digital signal.
Hence, RGB digital gives eight colors, whereas RGBI digital produces 16.

RGB analog is also a video source consisting of three signals, RED, GREEN,
and BLUE, but in this case, the signals are analog voltages from 0 to 1 volt.
With analog RGB, you can theoretically get an infinite number of colors on
the screen, but most analog systems are limited by the size of the digital
to analog converter inside.

NTSC composite is standard composite video, combining the red, green, and
blue signals into one.  Most video cassette recorders output NTSC composite.
NTSC video is usually output through a RCA phono jack on microcomputers.

Generally, the signal quality is degraded when the signals are combined for
NTSC video, and therefore, any kind of RGB is preferable.

			Peter Hildebrandt
			Tektronix Laboratories