[net.micro.amiga] Amiga - 68000 chip

louie@umd5.UUCP (08/30/85)

In article <229@tikal.UUCP> dal@tikal.UUCP (Don Ledford) writes:
>------
>In article <916@vax2.fluke.UUCP> kurt@fluke.UUCP (Kurt Guntheroth) writes:
>>The amiga uses the 68000 chip exactly because it is less expensive and the
>>amiga does not require the 68010 extra capabilities of instruction restart.
>>The 68000 and 68010 are directly compatible and if you want to speed
>>everything up about 7-8%, you can just drop in a 68010 (assuming the 68000
>>is in a socket of course).
>>--
>
>I'm a software type and don't have access to the amiga schematics, but
>I would caution against replacing the 68000 chip with a 68010 until
>you know for sure it doesn't effect the shared access to the video RAM.
>It may be that access is arbitrated by monitoring the instruction
>fetch activity of the CPU (during fetch the DMA has a free shot at
>the video RAM).  The 68010 doesn't need to perform fetches for certain
>types of code loops (hence the speed improvement); this may cause
>unacceptable delays for the video circuitry.
>
>Speculation only.
>
>Don Ledford
[I'm moving this discussion to net.micro.amiga]

There is a more fundamental problem;  the state of the stack during expection
processing for a 68010 is not identical to the 68000's.  This only is of
concern to the underlying operating system and if it was clever enough could
probably handle both.  I don't remember for sure, but this may only be a
problem for bus error type exceptions.

Can't wait for my Amiga to get here!
--
Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center
 Internet: louie@trantor.arpa

jjg@ccice5.UUCP (John Grana) (09/07/85)

> There is a more fundamental problem;  the state of the stack during expection
> processing for a 68010 is not identical to the 68000's.  This only is of
> concern to the underlying operating system and if it was clever enough could
> probably handle both.  I don't remember for sure, but this may only be a
> problem for bus error type exceptions.
>
> Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center

	In the case of the 68010, this is a problem for ANY exception. The
68000 places 3 words on the stack (sr,pc), while the 68010 'dumps' 4 ( sr,
pc, vector#/format)!

							john grana
							C.C.I
							Rochester, NY