[net.micro.amiga] MIDI for Amiga

foust@gumby.UUCP (09/06/85)

A MIDI interface for the Amiga won't cost $200, as reported elsewhere.
The serial port is programmable up to around 32K baud, which means
MIDI's 31.xx speed fits in fine, tho at the high end.

A dumb MIDI driver would be about $40-50 dollars retail, I imagine.
All you have to do is drag out the right lines, and put a couple DIN
plugs on the ouside.  I heard this from an engineer at Tecmar, the
only third party hardware developer for the Amiga I've heard about
so far.

The Atari ST has the OS hooks built in to handle MIDI data I/O.  All
you'd have to do is write your own hooks to do something similar:
buffer data coming in and out, and time stamp incoming data for
near-real time post-processing.

John Foust

olson@harvard.ARPA (Eric Olson) (09/10/85)

In article <435@gumby.UUCP> foust@gumby.UUCP writes:
>A MIDI interface for the Amiga won't cost $200, as reported elsewhere.
>The serial port is programmable up to around 32K baud, which means
>MIDI's 31.xx speed fits in fine, tho at the high end.

I believe this only works if you want Output-only MIDI.  Since
it's asynch., you have to get the MIDI speed just right to reliably
read MIDI data from a synth.  That's why the Macintosh MIDI interfaces
are more than just a cable.

Eric.