[net.micro.amiga] Amiga emulating an IBM PC?

djz@cmu-cs-spice.ARPA (Daniel Zigmond) (09/02/85)

Subject: Amiga emulation of IBM PC
Newsgroups: net.micro.amiga

Is the hardware and software necessary to run IBM software on a
Amiga out yet?  How much does it cost (and from where does one get it)?
How good is it?  Does it run 100% of the software?  If not, what
can't it handle?

	Dan

eric@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) (09/03/85)

Hi,

 I have a pre-release version of the PC emulator, so it does exist.
Commodore intends to bundle the software with a 5-1/4 inch drive that
is IBM PC-DOS read/write compatible. Some of my documentation also
mentions that the Amiga can read disks formatted by an Apple II, but
that may no longer hold true. I think the 5-1/4 inch drive will sell
for around $300 initially - they hadn't commited to any prices last
time I heard. The software only compatibility package claims to be 95%
compatible. It will run Lotus 123, Dbase and Wordstar. Beyond that,
who knows?

Eric
--

ARPA:	LAVITSKY@RUTGERS
UUCP:	...{harvard,seismo,ut-sally,sri-iu,ihnp4}!topaz!eric

eve@ssc-bee.UUCP (Michael Eve) (09/05/85)

> Is the hardware and software necessary to run IBM software on a
> Amiga out yet?
> How good is it?  Does it run 100% of the software?

Who cares?

If you want to run IBM software, buy a PC.

The Amiga will never make it as an IBM clone.  Its only hope is to
stand apart on its own merits, which are considerable and far
overshadow the IBM.  I think all this talk of IBM compatibility
only dilutes the image of the Amiga.   The worst thing that could
happen to the Amiga is for people to think of it as 'just another PC'.

As far as business sales go, forget it.  The business people are very
conservative, and if they want a PC, will buy a PC.  They are not going
to mess with 98% compatibility.

Let the Amiga concentrate on its strengths, and lets hope it figures out
its true market, the home, and that the price will be revised accordingly
(i.e., down).

--
	Mike Eve     Boeing Aerospace, Seattle
	...uw-beaver!ssc-vax!ssc-bee!eve

preece@ccvaxa.UUCP (09/12/85)

> > Is the hardware and software necessary to run IBM software on a
> > Amiga out yet?
> > How good is it?  Does it run 100% of the software?
>
> Who cares?
>
> If you want to run IBM software, buy a PC.
> /* Written 12:14 pm  Sep  5, 1985 by eve@ssc-bee.UUCP in ccvaxa:net.micro.amiga */
----------
While your arguments are perfectly good -- let the Amiga concentrate
on the things it's good at -- there are a noticeable number of people
who already have PCs and don't particularly want to have TWO computers.
For those who have some amount of PC software that they are using and
want to go on using, the ability of the Amiga to run that software
would be a big plus, even if the emulator is clunky and doesn't work
in a normal window.

--
scott preece
ihnp4!uiucdcs!ccvaxa!preece