[net.micro.amiga] GEM

lsr@apple.UUCP (Larry Rosenstein) (09/17/85)

In article <71@ucdavis.UUCP> ccrdan@ucdavis.UUCP (Dan Gold) writes:

>> I thought that the ATARI was using a variant of CP/M-68K. That was what my
>> fallible sources informed me (confirmation or denials, anyone?).
>
>I believe that the Atari will be using the GEM system or something very
>similiar.
>
>Dan Gold

My understanding is that GEM does not replace the operating system,
but instead provides a common library of window management functions.
(It may also provide a common interface for the basic operating
system calls.)  When you run GEM on an IBM-PC, you are using a
different OS than when you run it on an Atari ST.

For example, if the underlying OS only provided for 8-character file
names, then icons could only have 8-character names.  If the OS
allows file names with spaces in them then icon names can have spaces
in them.

--
Larry Rosenstein
Apple Computer

UUCP:  {voder, idi, nsc, ios, mtxinu, dual}!apple!lsr
CSNET: lsr@Apple.CSNET