[net.micro.amiga] Amiga system arrival

louie@trantor.UMD.EDU (09/19/85)

From: Louis A. Mamakos <louie@trantor.UMD.EDU>

Having grown impatient waiting for my Amiga, I called Commodore yesterday
asking about my development system.  They said that I should have it the
very next day.  Sure.  They said the the "Check, er Machine is in the
mail."  We'll see.

Sure enough, today I find that two large boxes from Commodore are just
waiting for me.  One was obviously the color monitor (NOT the one you
see in all of the photographs of the Amiga).  I immediatly tore into the
other box which contained my "Amiga 1000" computer system, the extra
256K memory expansion and the addition 800K microfloppy driver.  "I'm
all set to hack now" he says to himself.

I search through the foam "peanuts" used as packing for the manuals, etc.
Nothing.  I frantically search through the peanuts, spreading them all
over my clean carpet.  Still nothing.  $%^*&*#(@ he cries, not even the
stupid Amiga Kickstart disk.  Where's my kickstart disk?  Where's my
C language development system?  Where's my many volumes of documentation?
Why is Commodore playing this cruel trick on me?  These, and many other
good questions will be asked tomorrow.

In the mean time, my 512K Amiga, with two disks, mouse and monitor just
asks me to insert to Kickstart disk.  That's all.  Real neat.  Not bad
for $1900.

Louis A. Mamakos WA3YMH   University of Maryland, Computer Science Center
 Internet: louie@trantor.arpa  -or-  louie@TRANTOR.UMD.EDU

granvold@tymix.UUCP (Tom Granvold) (09/23/85)

-

In article <3698@topaz.RUTGERS.EDU> louie@trantor.UMD.EDU writes:
>From: Louis A. Mamakos <louie@trantor.UMD.EDU>
>
>Having grown impatient waiting for my Amiga, I called Commodore yesterday
>asking about my development system.  They said that I should have it the
>very next day.  Sure.  They said the the "Check, er Machine is in the
>mail."  We'll see.
>
>Sure enough, today I find that two large boxes from Commodore are just
>waiting for me.
>
>I search through the foam "peanuts" used as packing for the manuals, etc.
>Nothing. $%^*&*#(@ he cries, not even the
>stupid Amiga Kickstart disk.  Where's my kickstart disk?  Where's my
>C language development system?  Where's my many volumes of documentation?
>
>In the mean time, my 512K Amiga, with two disks, mouse and monitor just
>asks me to insert to Kickstart disk.  That's all.  Real neat.  Not bad
>for $1900.

    The same thing happened to my brother. He received exactly the same
stuff Louis did. My borther says that the screen the asks for the kickstart
disk doesn't look as good as the simular one on the Atari ST. Anyway, my
brother called Commodore about what was happening. Commodore said that
they have a new release of the software almost ready (they did not say
if this was the OS or what) alone with updated manuals. Therefore they
are holding back the software and documentation untill the new release.
This new release should be real real soon now, my borther got the impression
that it would take a week or two. He received his Amiga on the 13th, and
as of the 21st he had not received the software or manuals.

    I am glad that I am not you or my brother. I'd be very frustrated
right now. But since I have a development system on order (it should
take a couple of more weeks), I may also end in the same position. Let's
hope that they don't take long to get the new release out.

Tom Granvold
ucbvax!allegra!oliveb!tymix!granvold

hr@uicsl.UUCP (09/25/85)

<>

	"Having grown impatient waiting for my Amiga [development system]..."

	"my brother... received exactly the same stuff Louis did. [ a
	development system]..."

	"But since I have a development system on order..."

OK, enough is enough. How are all these people getting development systems?
Or rather, how can some of the rest of us get them?

After reading the net, I'm beginning to have strange twinges that all
but one or two Amigas will be sold as development systems! Arggghh!

						harold ravlin
					{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

louie@trantor.UMD.EDU (09/27/85)

From: Louis A. Mamakos <louie@trantor.UMD.EDU>

Just an update - I received my developement system software and documentation
a few days ago.  The manuals are done pretty well; being bound in 5 or 6
different volumes.  I think that I'd prefer loose-leaf to install manual
updates, but what the hey...

I didn't receive the ABasiC manual or the demo-software disk.  The Introduction
to the Amiga manual was omitted.  I called Commodore and asked them about it
and they said that the plan to replace the AMIGA ABasiC with real Microsoft
basic in the coming weeks, and that they didn't want developers to write
any software using the existing BASIC.  If I wanted the other manuals or
disk, I should just send a letter requesting it.  Hey, I don't care *what*
BASIC they provide, I'm using Lattice C for my software.

I have to agree with what someone else said earlier; the CLI interface is
sort of ugly.  It doesn't have the feel as being as well done as the lower
level ROM (er.. RAM) kernel and the Intuition software.  The argument
specification is particularly obtuse.  Happily, Lattice C uses UNIX like
option specifications.  The CLI really needs a PATH variable or something
like it.  You can ASSIGN a logical name to a directory containing the
executable commands, but only to one directory (on ONE disk).  It would
be nice to give a PATH or the convention that the 'C' directory on each
disk be searched.

Does anyone know how to reogranize the Workbench, and save the organization?
When I made a working copy of the WorkBench disk, the icons are somewhat
disorganized.  I can select the CLEANUP menu item to fix it, but when the
window is closed and reopened it is the same as before.  I wonder if this
stuff is documented in the "Introduction to the AMIGA" manual that I didn't
receive?

LAVITSKY@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU (09/27/85)

From: Eric <LAVITSKY@BLUE.RUTGERS.EDU>

Hi,

 I didn't get the ABasic manual or the Inroduction To Amiga manual
either. I believe it is possible to assign multiple volumes, I will
have to check on that.

 To get the Workbench Icon configuration saved, choose the icon you
want saved and select 'snapshot' from the 'special' menu bar. If you
have a disk window open, select the disk icon and choose 'snapshot'
this will save every Icon in windows that are open under the current
disk. As far as the Intro to Amiga manual - a guy at Commodore told
me that developers wouldn't be receiving that and would have to get
it through dealers. I think a few calls and letters from developers
complaining about that to the folks in PA will change that
situation.

Hope that helps,
Eric
-------