[net.micro.amiga] OS-9/68K : software, current hardware?

bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) (09/25/85)

Much traffic has been generated lately about possible availability
of Microware's OS-9 operating system on the Commodore Amiga and/or
the Atari ST.  While I have looked over recent magazines for
references, it isn't clear to me what machines are currently
available running the 68K version of this O.S., or what software
is available for it.  Note I am interested specifically in 68000
software for OS-9; I have seen many packages offered for the 6809
version.  Ready availability of 'useful' software would likely
determine whether the porting efforts would be worthwhile.

Could someone with better background on this enlighten us as to
current vendors' offerings under OS-9/68K?  Is there a readily-
accessible source for public domain routines?  If traffic warrants,
I will summarize to the net.  Thanks in advance.

						Bob Halloran
						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
ARPA: petsd!pedsgd!bobh@topaz
USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
DDD: (201) 758-7000
Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
Quote: "BOO! We changed Coke again! BLEAH! BLEAH!"- The 'Boogums', Bloom County

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (09/29/85)

In article <281@pedsgd.UUCP> bobh@pedsgd.UUCP (Bob Halloran) writes:
>Much traffic has been generated lately about possible availability
>of Microware's OS-9 operating system on the Commodore Amiga and/or
>the Atari ST.  While I have looked over recent magazines for
>references, it isn't clear to me what machines are currently
>available running the 68K version of this O.S., or what software
>is available for it.  Note I am interested specifically in 68000
>software for OS-9; I have seen many packages offered for the 6809
>version.  Ready availability of 'useful' software would likely
>determine whether the porting efforts would be worthwhile.
>
>Could someone with better background on this enlighten us as to
>current vendors' offerings under OS-9/68K?  Is there a readily-
>accessible source for public domain routines?  If traffic warrants,
>I will summarize to the net.  Thanks in advance.
>
>						Bob Halloran
>						Sr MTS, Perkin-Elmer DSG
>=============================================================================
>UUCP: {decvax, ucbvax, most Action Central}!vax135\
>		       	 {topaz, pesnta, princeton}!petsd!pedsgd!bobh
>ARPA: petsd!pedsgd!bobh@topaz
>USPS: 106 Apple St M/S 305, Tinton Falls NJ 07724
>DDD: (201) 758-7000
>Disclaimer: My opinions are my own.
>Quote: "BOO! We changed Coke again! BLEAH! BLEAH!"- The 'Boogums', Bloom County

     Rather than answer what you've asked, I think it might be a good
idea to say that the best reference material on OS-9 are

Rainbow Magazine
which is specifically about the Color Computer, but often carries ads
for other OS-9 systems (including 68K systems).

68 Micro Journal
which is available from
Computer Publishing Inc.
5900 Cassandra Smith Rd.
Hixon, Tn. 37343

which is a general 680x0, 680x, Motorola chipset magazine.  I think
I've answered your questions elsewhere anyway.  The best source of
info on OS-9 is Compuserve's OS9 SIG, which is a semi-official source
of the OS-9 Users' Group's public domain programs.  The net.micro.6809
people have placed comments 'here' but probably are best talked to
in their own group.  Also, I hope to have BIX's 'os.9' conference
turned into a good resource too.  This'll be hard, seeing as I've
only got a couple of people to call BIX so far (it's not officially
open yet) whereas the Boston Computer Club seems to be full of
Apple, IBM and CPM people.

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura