[net.micro.amiga] OS9 on Amiga

jpm@bnl44.UUCP (John McNamee) (09/06/85)

> Actually, I'm surprised that the same thought didn't occur to the
> developers of either (both) of the amiga or the 520ST.  It would seem that
> OS9/68K would be an ideal substrate for the 'visual/mac-type' user
> interface that they provide.  Does anybody know why they decided to "go
> their own way" and develop custom OS's for their machines.

The Amiga does run a custom operating system, but the ST runs GEMDOS which
is available on more than just the ST (Northern Telcom has announced it is
using it, others have licensed it but have not announced their product yet).
DRI has Concurrent DOS almost finished, and GEM can sit on top of that for
multitasking operation. My personal opinion is that the mass market does not
need multitasking, and won't want to pay extra money to get it. As a
programmer I want multitasking, but that doesn't mean the majority of people
buying these types of systems do.

> Are the OS9
> developers so unreasonable about relicensing that this was impossible?
> Or is there something about OS9 that makes this less sensible than I think
> it is?

Microware is actually very good about licensing terms and prices. I don't
know why Amiga doesn't run OS-9, but there is a reason the ST doesn't. Atari
didn't want to finance the development of a totally new product. Microware has
no windowing product for OS-9. DRI already had GEM running on the PC, so
getting it up on the 68000 was a question of porting the code rather than
starting from scratch.

There is no reason a third party couldn't put OS-9 up on either the ST or
Amiga. I know of one company that is looking at doing it for the ST right now.
--

			 John McNamee
		..!decvax!philabs!sbcs!bnl44!jpm

		  "MS-DOS is a communist plot"

dibble@rochester.UUCP (Peter C. Dibble) (09/08/85)

> > interface that they provide.  Does anybody know why they decided to "go
> > their own way" and develop custom OS's for their machines.
>
> didn't want to finance the development of a totally new product. Microware has
> no windowing product for OS-9. DRI already had GEM running on the PC, so

Microware does have a windowing product for OS-9.  I have seen the Fujitsu
FM 11 and 16 running it.  It requires a memory mapped display which
is why most OS-9 systems don't have it.  I can only guess why Tandy
doesn't use it for the CoCo.

clark@sdcsla.UUCP (Clark Quinn) (09/10/85)

> Microware does have a windowing product for OS-9.

There has been a lot of talk about OS9 as an operating system for the 68000,
but precious little detail about why OS9 is a good operating system.  Could
someone briefly summarize the reason why there seems to be alot of interest in
this operating system?  I am sure I am not the only one who has not heard of
it.  Thanks in advance, -- Clark

 Clark N. Quinn
 Institute for Cognitive Science C-015
 University of California, San Diego
 La Jolla, California 92093
 (619) 452-2541 (UCSD): (619) 481-0952 (Home)
 {ucbvax,decvax,akgua,dcdwest}!sdcsvax!sdcsla!clark  OR  clark@nprdc

ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) (09/12/85)

> ...                     My personal opinion is that the mass market does not
> need multitasking, and won't want to pay extra money to get it. As a
> programmer I want multitasking, but that doesn't mean the majority of people
> buying these types of systems do.

My wife is not a 'computer type'.  She has used both a Mac and a Lisa
at work (at Apple...) and has complained to me that the Mac can't
print while editing, etc.  while the Lisa can.  I think the average
person DOES need multitasking, they just don't know it by that name.

Try asking some friends if they would like their computer to be able
to print and chew gum at the same time ...

--

E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems

This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

connery@bnrmtv.UUCP (Glenn Connery) (09/13/85)

> > Actually, I'm surprised that the same thought didn't occur to the
> > developers of either (both) of the amiga or the 520ST.  It would seem that
> > OS9/68K would be an ideal substrate for the 'visual/mac-type' user
> > interface that they provide.  Does anybody know why they decided to "go
> > their own way" and develop custom OS's for their machines.
>
> The Amiga does run a custom operating system, but the ST runs GEMDOS which
> is available on more than just the ST (Northern Telcom has announced it is
> using it, others have licensed it but have not announced their product yet).
> DRI has Concurrent DOS almost finished, and GEM can sit on top of that for
> multitasking operation...

Are you suggesting that GEM and Concurrent DOS can be used together on the
IBM PC?  Given that Concurrent DOS takes 180K of memory, and that you must
set up a partition with at least 220K to run GEM Desktop, you can barely
run two copies of GEM Desktop in a fully loaded IBM PC.  Since the 220K
figure grows to 256K or greater to run actual applications under GEM, like
GEM Draw, you can see why I am skeptical...  Given that IBM has (a) just
signed a working agreement with Microsoft, (b) IBM has retracted its
original statement about selling GEM and ConcDos, (c) Microsoft has released
a "fully-functional" DOS 4.0 to OEMs, do you really want to suggest that
the presence of ConcDos on the IBM PC matters one iota?

...Glenn

jpm@bnl44.UUCP (John McNamee) (09/25/85)

>>...                     My personal opinion is that the mass market does not
>>need multitasking, and won't want to pay extra money to get it. As a
>>programmer I want multitasking, but that doesn't mean the majority of people
>>buying these types of systems do.
>
>My wife is not a 'computer type'.  She has used both a Mac and a Lisa
>at work (at Apple...) and has complained to me that the Mac can't
>print while editing, etc.  while the Lisa can.  I think the average
>person DOES need multitasking, they just don't know it by that name.
>
>Try asking some friends if they would like their computer to be able
>to print and chew gum at the same time ...

Printing while doing something else is best calling SPOOLING, and is not
the same as the ability to run any arbitrary set of programs at the same
time. Would your wife be willing to spend twice as much of her own money
on a computer just to get multitasking? That is the real question.
Multitasking is nice, but do the majority of people need it so badly that
they will spend twice as much to get it? I don't think so.
--

			 John McNamee
		..!decvax!philabs!sbcs!bnl44!jpm
			jpm@BNL44.ARPA

		  "MS-DOS is a communist plot"

jpm@bnl44.UUCP (John McNamee) (09/25/85)

>>The Amiga does run a custom operating system, but the ST runs GEMDOS which
>>is available on more than just the ST (Northern Telcom has announced it is
>>using it, others have licensed it but have not announced their product yet).
>>DRI has Concurrent DOS almost finished, and GEM can sit on top of that for
>>multitasking operation...
>
>Are you suggesting that GEM and Concurrent DOS can be used together on the
>IBM PC?

Where did you get that idea? Read my message again and look at the newsgroups
this is in. It should be obvious that I'm talking about the ST and not the PC.
Concurrent DOS is available on the 68000 as well as the 286.

--

braun@drivax.UUCP (Karl Braun) (09/26/85)

> > > Actually, I'm surprised that the same thought didn't occur to the
> > > developers of either (both) of the amiga or the 520ST.  It would seem that
> > > OS9/68K would be an ideal substrate for the 'visual/mac-type' user
> > > interface that they provide.  Does anybody know why they decided to "go
> > > their own way" and develop custom OS's for their machines.
> >
> > The Amiga does run a custom operating system, but the ST runs GEMDOS which
> > is available on more than just the ST (Northern Telcom has announced it is
> > using it, others have licensed it but have not announced their product yet).
> > DRI has Concurrent DOS almost finished, and GEM can sit on top of that for
> > multitasking operation...
>
> Are you suggesting that GEM and Concurrent DOS can be used together on the
> IBM PC?  Given that Concurrent DOS takes 180K of memory, and that you must
> set up a partition with at least 220K to run GEM Desktop, you can barely
> run two copies of GEM Desktop in a fully loaded IBM PC.  Since the 220K
> figure grows to 256K or greater to run actual applications under GEM, like
> GEM Draw, you can see why I am skeptical...  Given that IBM has (a) just
> signed a working agreement with Microsoft, (b) IBM has retracted its
> original statement about selling GEM and ConcDos, (c) Microsoft has released
> a "fully-functional" DOS 4.0 to OEMs, do you really want to suggest that
> the presence of ConcDos on the IBM PC matters one iota?
>
> ...Glenn

The marketing people at DRI have contributed to a great deal of confusion in
debates of this sort.  There are several versions of operating systems with the
name "Concurrent Dos" (CDOS) attatched.

CDOS/86 is what used to be called CCPM v3.1, v3.2, etc.  This is the system
which runs DOS apps as well as CPM apps, and is obviously not protected mode.

The CDOS which is 'almost finished' is CDOS/286 and CDOS/68k which are
protected mode systems, and obviously exclude the PC from it's target line (it
does, of course, run on the PC/AT).

When discussing attributs of "Concurrent Dos", it would be more meaningful and
less confusing to use the terminology "CODS/{86,286,68k}".

--

					" I Can Play That Song In 3 notes, man "

			kral
ihnp4!-------- \
mot! ---------- \
ucbvax!unisoft!  >	drivax!braun
ucscc!--------- /
amdahl!------- /

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (09/28/85)

In article <2011@amdahl.UUCP> ems@amdahl.UUCP (ems) writes:
>> ...                     My personal opinion is that the mass market does not
>> need multitasking, and won't want to pay extra money to get it. As a
>> programmer I want multitasking, but that doesn't mean the majority of people
>> buying these types of systems do.
>>
>My wife is not a 'computer type'.  She has used both a Mac and a Lisa
>at work (at Apple...) and has complained to me that the Mac can't
>print while editing, etc.  while the Lisa can.  I think the average
>person DOES need multitasking, they just don't know it by that name.
>
>Try asking some friends if they would like their computer to be able
>to print and chew gum at the same time ...
>
>--
>
>E. Michael Smith  ...!{hplabs,ihnp4,amd,nsc}!amdahl!ems
>
>This is the obligatory disclaimer of everything. (Including but
>not limited to: typos, spelling, diction, logic, and nuclear war)

     I doubt if this net should be used for polling, but there is *no*
doubt that multi-tasking is wanted by any and all users of computers
these days.  Sometimes it may be hidden on the application level (such
as music being played during a graphics realtime game) and sometimes
people have it on the system level, but *all* users notice the difference
and want it.  It simply makes sense to put it on the system level where
possible in order to derive maximum benefit.

                                     Cheers! -- Jim O.
Byte Information eXchange: jimomura
Compuserve: 72205,541
MTS: GKL6

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (09/29/85)

In article <1005@bnl44.UUCP> jpm@bnl44.UUCP (John McNamee) writes:
>Printing while doing something else is best calling SPOOLING, and is not
>the same as the ability to run any arbitrary set of programs at the same
>time. Would your wife be willing to spend twice as much of her own money
>on a computer just to get multitasking? That is the real question.
>Multitasking is nice, but do the majority of people need it so badly that
>they will spend twice as much to get it? I don't think so.

Printing while doing something else is multitasking.  Spooling isn't the
operation of printing, it is the process of queueing files to print.

--

-  Sean Casey                           UUCP:   sean@ukma.UUCP   or
-  Department of Mathematics                    {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean

jimomura@lsuc.UUCP (Jim Omura) (09/29/85)

In article <1005@bnl44.UUCP> jpm@bnl44.UUCP (John McNamee) writes:
>>>...                     My personal opinion is that the mass market does not
>>>need multitasking, and won't want to pay extra money to get it. As a
>>>programmer I want multitasking, but that doesn't mean the majority of people
>>>buying these types of systems do.
>>
>>My wife is not a 'computer type'.  She has used both a Mac and a Lisa
>>at work (at Apple...) and has complained to me that the Mac can't
>>print while editing, etc.  while the Lisa can.  I think the average
>>person DOES need multitasking, they just don't know it by that name.
>>
>>Try asking some friends if they would like their computer to be able
>>to print and chew gum at the same time ...
>
>Printing while doing something else is best calling SPOOLING, and is not
>the same as the ability to run any arbitrary set of programs at the same

     Spooling is multi tasking.  Especially when you are printing text
you just finished editing from a word processor while you are updating
your database manager.  Sometimes multi-tasking is done on the
application level, but it's more useful on the system *and* application
levels combined.

     Know what the terminology you bandy about means.

>time. Would your wife be willing to spend twice as much of her own money
>on a computer just to get multitasking? That is the real question.

     Unless the Amiga or Atari come down in price to about $100.00,
I don't see how multi-tasking *or even multi-user* could "double the
price".  See the postings on OS-9 and Unix by myself and others 'here'.

>Multitasking is nice, but do the majority of people need it so badly that
>they will spend twice as much to get it? I don't think so.
>--
>
>			 John McNamee
                                      Cheers! -- Jim O.

BIX: jimomura
Compuserve 72205,541
MTS at WU: GKL6

--
James Omura, Barrister & Solicitor, Toronto
ihnp4!utzoo!lsuc!jimomura

hr@uicsl.UUCP (09/30/85)

<> RE: Multitasking yes or no, is it or isn't it?

>>"Printing while doing something else is best calling SPOOLING,...."
>  "Printing while doing something else is multitasking..."

Besides spooling printing, I'd love to be able to run KERMIT
in the background while doing something else. Maybe, play an Infocom
game while waiting for a large program to compile.

						harold ravlin
					{ihnp4,pur-ee}!uiucdcs!uicsl!hr

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (10/01/85)

> In article <1005@bnl44.UUCP> jpm@bnl44.UUCP (John McNamee) writes:
> >Printing while doing something else is best calling SPOOLING, ...
>
> Printing while doing something else is multitasking.  Spooling isn't the
> operation of printing, it is the process of queueing files to print.
>
> -  Sean Casey                           UUCP:   sean@ukma.UUCP   or

SPOOL is an acronym for Simultaneous Peripheral Operation On-Line, and so
does apply to printing while a(nother) program is running.  (So it is a special
case of multitasking- with only one user task, and the rest spool tasks,
which can also include other operation of peripherals.)  Because of this
association, queueing files to disk to print is often also called
"spooling" them.
--henry schaffer
("not that even a small circle of friends would care")