[net.micro.amiga] Amiga developer speaks, CLI tips, etc.

wirch@puff.UUCP (10/06/85)

Here is a message from my co-worker John Foust, who has an
Amiga developer's system:
From: John Foust
Date: Oct 5

Does anyone have the Art Tools mentioned in the manuals?
I assume they edit the .info files, which have a structure that
isn't too hard to figure out.  I'd hate to duplicate effort
and write my own editor just to get rid of the dumb icons and
stupid icon designs.

Why didn't Electronic Arts put PolyScope and SlideShow up as icons
on their demo disk?  Do they want j. random user to drop down to
the CLI, and type all that cryptic #%$#?

Tip:  ^O and ^N set the high bits on all characters, so that's why
you get the screwy characters if you typed ^O to stop output, and then
wondered what happened.  ^N turns it off again.  This is documented
deep in a manual, but I figured it out using the Infinite Number Of
Monkeys technique.

Found a bad bug in ed: I ran ed via "run ed foo.c", as so to have it
as a windowed separate task.  I noticed that if I left the cursor on
a line when I exitted via "*sa", the editor would erase the characters
on that line, and then write the file out with the line missing.  I
couldn't get it to do this everytime, but beware...  Solution:  move
the cursor to a blank line before exitting.

The Amiga ran the Byte 8190 sieve.c in about 3.8 seconds.  This version
had all the stdin/stdout stuff, and increased to ~4 seconds when the
clock was running as another task.

I've had the OS crash when I had the Demos running (line,box,dotty).
They aren't very robust.  Otherwise, I've had no crashes from the
OS, that I didn't write myself :-)

Does anybody have contacts to early Amiga developers?  I'm sure they
have the Art Tools.

Does anyone have a Graphicraft that loads or saves? How about a semi-
working Textcraft?  I have the ballet raster images, and can't load
them...  I think they were under V27.3 or so.

Also, don't be tempted to use a gender-changer to hook up your IBM
printer to the Centronics DB-25 male plug on the back.  Make an adapter
that connects 1 through 13 straight through, and then take 16 IBM to
25 Amiga, just to add the *INIT line.  Ground the proper lines on
the Amiga ends to the right ends on the IBM, and it works.
DANGER: the Amiga pin 23 is +5 volts, and IBM 25 is ground, which
would do wonde, I think.

Also, since I'm not on the net, and would still like to converse,
you can reach me via Rick (the poster of this) or via US Mail:
John Foust % Sound Technologies, 16 N. Carroll St, Suite 16,
Madison, WI, 53703 (608)256-3646.

Otherwise, the printer works fine, and prints bit-images of Notepad
messages with the fonts, etc. intact.  However, the printed image
is of the entire Notepad window, with the border and window title
"NotePad 1.0".  This sucks.

Some older developers must have a set of tools that will make
development a lot easier.  For instance, I wasted an hour writing
a little dump utility that lets me view binary files, and learned
much about my dependencies on compilers that assume chars are unsigned,
since the Lattice allows both signed and unsigned chars.

Could the real Amiga developers send me their US Mail addresses, so
we can swap tool disks?  I anxiously await the *second* posting of
Amiga source to the net...

I will soon get a login on the Amiga BBS Tech Support, and look around
there.   Geez, it looks like it has been up for a while.  Has anyone
been on it yet?

John Foust

frobozz@gitpyr.UUCP (Geoff George) (10/10/85)

<eat this>

"Amiga BBS Tech Support" - Tell Me More !

     geoff