[net.micro.amiga] Amiga and ST

gyuri@eneevax.UUCP (Gyorgy Fekete) (10/04/85)

I am trying to forward this, but twice before I was unsuccesful...
So here it is, with a bit of delay...

Date: Tuesday, 24 Sep 1985 23:53:23-PDT
From: umcp-cs!seismo!allegra!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-cgvax2!boiko  (Michael Boiko MKO2-2/KO2 264-3626)
To: seismo!allegra!umcp-cs!eneevax!info-st  (Distribution list @ST)
Subject: More ST vs Amiga info......

	Here's a note I came across yesterday that you all might be
interested in reading. It sums up some of the thoughts an Amiga/ST developer
has about the Amiga vs ST comparison question.
	The one question should be if the ST is that good (and I feel it is)
why isn't the Computer media/trade mags. falling all over it. What's going
on!!
	By the way I have had an ST for about 2-3 weeks,and I think it's one
of the best bargains to come along in a long time.....
	Once again I would appreciate someone posting this to micro.net.atari,
since I'am still having problems posting notes.
						Thank You
						Mike Boiko

Msg#: 0053    Lines=15
Sent: Sept 23,1985   at 10:11 PM
  To: DR. MICHAEL MITCHELL
From: JOHN DEMAR
Subj: st

MICHAEL:
   I'm sure you are a sane, rational person, so I'll continue...
I'm a software/hardware developer and an electronics engineer. I've seen
and used computers from $50 to $5Million and have designed VLSI chips
for 6 years at GE until starting my business last year. So, the following
is said from technical expertise and not first-impression judgments from
marketing "fluff"...
  I own (or have owned) both the Atari 520ST and Amiga PC. I've given
them both a good bit of work and inspection, including o/s design and
hardware architecture. Here are some facts and my conclusion:
  The Amiga's graphics IC's are very powerful in their own right and
the sound/io chip definitely gives nice synthesized music. But, that is
where the power stops dead. However, since people respond emotionally to
sight  and sound, the demos are easy to catch someone's eye. Inside the
Amiga, there is very little true support for the power of a 68000 cpu

	In the low res mode, those fantastic graphics chips
steal almost 70% (yes!) of the possible CPU time that the 68000 could be
using to do real computer things like calculate, move/sort data, and
plot graphics on your screen. Since the complicated screen data for the
Amiga must come from the same ram on the same bus as the CPU, there are
excessive wait-cycles imposed on the 68000. This, together with the
CPU speed that is 10% or more slower than the Atari 520ST, the Amiga
does not come close to the true power and useful capabilities of the ST.
  Inside the ST, you will find MORE custom IC's than the Amiga and MORE
powerful chips 'off the shelf' than the Amiga. This adds up to a real
optimized, fast and versatile computer. First, there are a pair of chips
working together to optimize data bus and screen data access. The memory
controller prefetches 16-bit data directly for the 68000 and also places
screen data onto a separate bus for the screen refresh chip. This
operation only steals 8-18% of the available true CPU time.

	Further into the hardware, the 520ST has three serial
ports, RS-232, midi, and keyboard. All of these are handled separately
from the concern of the 68000 and all in hardware. The 520ST has a
68901 interrupt controller that keeps track of 16 separate events in the
system with very little intervention of the CPU (this chip is really a
necessity in a true 68000 architecture and is missing in the Amiga).
Now, the best feature and performer in the ST design is the custom
disk DMA controller which transfers data to the RAM without using the CPU
and does this at a rate of 1.3Megabytes per second! This IC also helps
the Western Digital floppy controller and makes for the fastest micro
computer disk access that I have ever seen. The ST brings in a 32K file
in less than 4 seconds, including drive start up, directory search, etc.
The Amiga takes almost 20 seconds!! Maybe you like waiting, I don't.
Not to mention the optimized set-up that the DMA chip has for adding
low-cost, fast peripherals like Hard drives and CD Roms. The Amiga uses

	the amiga has a non-standard disk configuration and does
much of the disk support in software (ie. slow). The drives have slightly
more capacity than the the ST's DS drives (880K to 720K) but this is at
the expense of speed. The Amiga directory format (or lack of) is done
much like a commodore-64. In fact, to get a directory, the Amiga goes out
and finds a program called DIR, loads it and goes back searching!

  Now that I have started into the topic of software, I have more bad
news for you. Intuition is graphically and color-wise more advanced than
GEM or the MAC but fails to perform as a real user interface. The
windows are poorly configured and move with flicker. I rate the MAC slightly
higher then GEM in usefulness but GEM on the ST is much faster and more
predictable for the user. The Amiga OS(s) are full of bugs and are
clumsy to use after using GEM for 3 months. As far as real software goes,
the ST already has many useful programs and there are more developers
working on ST projects than Amiga. (I hope plan on mostly games!)...

	As a programmer, I found the 520ST documentation to be
very well written and complete. And, if something was unclear, Atari was
very open and very helpful. On the other hand, the Amiga has a great
deal of documentation but things change everyday. Worst of all, you have
to be God or Electronic Arts to talk to anyone at Commodore. They simply
are not professional people.

  To finish off here, I would like to say a couple of BAD things about
the ST... The case could be nicer and they should have picked easier-to-
find connectors for the monitor and drive ports. Besides that, I think
(and over 50,000 others think) that the Atari 520ST is most powerful and
elegantly configured computer ever made. Also, I feel that Atari will
sell more computers than any other company has ever sold to date. This
is not solely due to marketing hype (like the C-64) but from true
value and power that was never offered before.  Save $1000 and take a
vacation next summer.... buy an ST.   Sincerely, John DeMar, QMI.

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (10/04/85)

> ... and makes for the fastest micro
> computer disk access that I have ever seen. The ST brings in a 32K file
> in less than 4 seconds, including drive start up, directory search, etc.
> The Amiga takes almost 20 seconds!! Maybe you like waiting, I don't.
>  Sincerely, John DeMar, QMI.

Hmmmmmm ... my IBM PC/XT searches, locates, loads and begins executing a
44K file is less than 2 seconds.  The XT is the one with the slow disk --
the AT is faster.  Sounds like a hard disk would cut waiting time a lot
on *both* the Amiga and the 520ST.

--
Ed Nather
Astronomy Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

gary@cirl.UUCP (Gary Girzon) (10/08/85)

*FLAME ON:

> 	In the low res mode, those fantastic graphics chips
> steal almost 70% (yes!) of the possible CPU time that the 68000 could be
> using to do real computer things like calculate, move/sort data, and
> plot graphics on your screen.

	How does one arrive at the magic 70% time figure? Also, the 68000
in the Amiga does not draw lines, polygons or fill areas. It is done by
one of the coprocessors. SO the 6800 can do "real" computer things.

>	Since the complicated screen data for the
> Amiga must come from the same ram on the same bus as the CPU, there are
> excessive wait-cycles imposed on the 68000.

	Unless the ST has some sort of dual-ported RAM, the screen data
must come from the same data bus in the ST as well.

>   Inside the ST, you will find MORE custom IC's than the Amiga and MORE
> powerful chips 'off the shelf' than the Amiga. This adds up to a real
> optimized, fast and versatile computer.

		If you measure a computer's worth by the number of chips,
you might as well pick an IBM over a Mac. Perhaps the custom chips
in the AMIGA are  better integrated to perform several functions in one
chip. Thus you do not need MORE chips if three can do the job.

> The ST brings in a 32K file
> in less than 4 seconds, including drive start up, directory search, etc.
> The Amiga takes almost 20 seconds!!

	That is just not true! The BYTE Basic benchmark for reading and
writting a 64k file takes 25 seconds. And this is in basic! Please check
or tell us how you arrived at these figures. The Atari may be faster in
disk accesses for some operations, but please do not misrepresent the
Amiga.

> The windows are poorly configured and move with flicker.

	They do? Not in my AMIGA.

I feel that if one is to compare the AMIGA and the ST, at least one should
have used them both. I get a feeling from the previous article that you
have only used an ST and have ignored the AMIGA. While the ATARI hardware
is glorified, we do not hear much about the inner workings of the AMIGA.
I have not used an ST, so I cannot really compare the two architectures.
The ST, however, does not have any expansion slots. All that is
available is the DMA slot which is a byte wide interface. Thus to
expand the ST requires a hardware hack. The ST does not offer an
alternative to GEM for a "real" user environment. Icons may be more user
friendly for applications, but real software development is much more
efficient given a "shell" environment.

I think the Amiga speaks for itself (no pun intended). If there is a
problem with the AMIGA (I am surprised it was never mentioned) is the
non-interlace screen resolution. The ST wins hands down with a 640 by 400
text display.

*FLAME OFF

UUCP: ...{ihnp4,harvard}!think!cirl!gary

kurt@fluke.UUCP (Kurt Guntheroth) (10/08/85)

I am confused.  I am hearing wildly contradictory information about the
amiga and st.  Just for instance

    The st has fast floppy disks and a 1.33 Mb/Sec DMA channel...The amign
    doesn't have DMA disks.  (377@eneeval.UUCP and elsewhere)

    The amiga has a custom programmable DMA controller (the 'copper') and
    no less than 25 channels of DMA including video, disk, and audio.  (BYTE
    article).

OK, what is true.  The st definitely has DMA.  Does the amiga use DMA for
floppies?  How fast is it?

    Running the BALL demo, with a 3-D ball rolling and bouncing, and making
    noise, less than 8% of the CPU is being used.  (BYTE article)

    The amiga's video controller takes up too many cycles and the amiga's
    clock rate is lower.  The amiga has much less horsepower for computing.
    (377@eneevax.UUCP)

The amiga does run at 7.8Mhz vs 8Mhz for the st.  How much of the rest is
true?

    The amiga OS is full of bugs.  (377@eneevax.UUCP)

    AmigaDOS is a version of TRIPOS from Canbridge.

    AmigaDOS was written by Metacompco  (various)

If AmigaDOS is a version of a longstanding OS, how come it is full of
(presumably serious) bugs?  Which rumor is true here.  Furthermore, I have
personally crashed TOS on the st just fooling around with it at a computer
store.  It took me 10 minutes before my first crash.  Is the amiga getting
undeservedly bad press here?  Doesn't TOS ever crash?  Also, a note about
porting the multitasking OS9 to the ST:  You will give up GEM if you port
OS9 probably.  It seems like it will be difficult to link GEM to OS9 and
presumably difficult to duplicate its function.  This means an OS9 will only
be useful to hacker types (like us all I suppose).

How about some additional opinions?
--
Kurt Guntheroth
John Fluke Mfg. Co., Inc.

parker@rochester.UUCP (Clint Parker) (10/12/85)

> *FLAME ON:
> >
> > 	In the low res mode, those fantastic graphics chips
> > steal almost 70% (yes!) of the possible CPU time that the 68000 could be
> > using to do real computer things like calculate, move/sort data, and
> > plot graphics on your screen.
>
> 	How does one arrive at the magic 70% time figure? Also, the 68000
> in the Amiga does not draw lines, polygons or fill areas. It is done by
> one of the coprocessors. SO the 6800 can do "real" computer things.
>
> >	Since the complicated screen data for the
> > Amiga must come from the same ram on the same bus as the CPU, there are
> > excessive wait-cycles imposed on the 68000.
>
> 	Unless the ST has some sort of dual-ported RAM, the screen data
> must come from the same data bus in the ST as well.
>
> >   Inside the ST, you will find MORE custom IC's than the Amiga and MORE
> > powerful chips 'off the shelf' than the Amiga. This adds up to a real
> > optimized, fast and versatile computer.
>
> 		If you measure a computer's worth by the number of chips,
> you might as well pick an IBM over a Mac. Perhaps the custom chips
> in the AMIGA are  better integrated to perform several functions in one
> chip. Thus you do not need MORE chips if three can do the job.
>
> > The ST brings in a 32K file
> > in less than 4 seconds, including drive start up, directory search, etc.
> > The Amiga takes almost 20 seconds!!
>
> 	That is just not true! The BYTE Basic benchmark for reading and
> writting a 64k file takes 25 seconds. And this is in basic! Please check
> or tell us how you arrived at these figures. The Atari may be faster in
> disk accesses for some operations, but please do not misrepresent the
> Amiga.
>
> > The windows are poorly configured and move with flicker.
>
> 	They do? Not in my AMIGA.
>
> I feel that if one is to compare the AMIGA and the ST, at least one should
> have used them both. I get a feeling from the previous article that you
> have only used an ST and have ignored the AMIGA. While the ATARI hardware
> is glorified, we do not hear much about the inner workings of the AMIGA.
> I have not used an ST, so I cannot really compare the two architectures.
> The ST, however, does not have any expansion slots. All that is
> available is the DMA slot which is a byte wide interface. Thus to
> expand the ST requires a hardware hack. The ST does not offer an
> alternative to GEM for a "real" user environment. Icons may be more user
> friendly for applications, but real software development is much more
> efficient given a "shell" environment.
>
> I think the Amiga speaks for itself (no pun intended). If there is a
> problem with the AMIGA (I am surprised it was never mentioned) is the
> non-interlace screen resolution. The ST wins hands down with a 640 by 400
> text display.
>
> *FLAME OFF
>
> UUCP: ...{ihnp4,harvard}!think!cirl!gary

Funny, you complain 'that if one is to compare the AMIGA and the ST, at
least one should have used both', but you say you don't have an ST, so how
can you compare the two.  I talked to John about this (before I saw this
message) and I can tell you that he had both machines and did side by side
comparisons.  AMIGA user's might not like to hear it, but the ST is faster
(at least in raw computing power, it remain to be seen how graphic programs
would compare, but I would put my money on the ST for most aplications due
to the AMIGA losing so many cycles for commands to the graphics chips).  I
don't have any direct experience with the AMIGA, so I can't make any direct
claims.  I think there is a place for both machines, but I'm putting my money
on (an into) the ST.

       - Clint

These are my own opinions and those of my employer :-)