[net.micro.amiga] Icons

BISHOP@USC-ECL.ARPA (10/11/85)

From: Brian Bishop <BISHOP@USC-ECL.ARPA>

<Eat me>

  I suppose this really is more up the Atari ST's alley, but since this is
info-mac-imitations...(just kidding...)  Apple successfully stopped GEM from
using similar icons to the mac's (trashcan, etc.) through legal means. NOW,
what will GEM use? A 'Dumpster' icon? Maybe a big 'circular file' icon? A
garbage truck (maybe some neat animation could be done here, as the 'empty
trash' function would show the little truck go over to the dumpster and
dump the ascii characters of your file into the dumpster, which would then
compress it, etc....) Now the point here is that wouldn't it be better to
keep these machines somewhat standard, at least as far as simple trash
icons are concerned. (Well, not from a competetive point of view, but let's
think of our sanity here...)  Apple has already stopped the 'pull down &
drag menu'. Oh well. Any suggestions for GEM's new trashcan? What does the
Amiga use?

     Forget a better mousetrap, we need a better trashcan.

          Brian

"The opinions expressed do not even represent MY opinions. They are totally
 unconnected from any sentience whatsoever, making them totally unbiased."

-------

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (10/13/85)

>   I suppose this really is more up the Atari ST's alley, but since this is
> info-mac-imitations...(just kidding...)  Apple successfully stopped GEM from
> using similar icons to the mac's (trashcan, etc.) through legal means. NOW,

The trashcan Icon originated at Xerox. I have no idea where *Apple* is getting
off claiming it's part of their copyrighted interface. Oh well. ATARI's getting
its own trash back... remember the Pac-Man clone battles?