[net.micro.amiga] Amiga developer speaks, CLI tips, e

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/09/85)

>Why didn't Electronic Arts put PolyScope and SlideShow up as icons
>on their demo disk?  Do they want j. random user to drop down to
>the CLI, and type all that cryptic #%$#?
    no; at least according to my dealer, they want you to insert
the kaleidoscope disk INSTEAD OF the workbench disk.  it takes over
the same way workbench does.

>Tip:  ^O and ^N set the high bits on all characters, so that's why
>you get the screwy characters if you typed ^O to stop output, and then
>wondered what happened.  ^N turns it off again.  This is documented
>deep in a manual, but I figured it out using the Infinite Number Of
>Monkeys technique.
    me too.  now, can you tell me the XON character?  ^S stops output,
but ^Q doesn't restart it.  RETURN restarts, but you get a "bad command"
message later.  i've resorted to ^S and ^H, at least until i can 'port
"more".

>Found a bad bug in ed: I ran ed via "run ed foo.c", as so to have it
>as a windowed separate task.  I noticed that if I left the cursor on
>a line when I exitted via "*sa", the editor would erase the characters
>on that line, and then write the file out with the line missing.  I
>couldn't get it to do this everytime, but beware...  Solution:  move
>the cursor to a blank line before exitting.
    does someone have dox for ed?  i used the monkey approach here too.
i've got (barely) enough to get by, but i need a lot more.  what's
"*(escape?)sa", anyway?  i use escape-x-escape to write&quit.  if nobody
has better info, i'll post the notes i've made.

>I've had the OS crash when I had the Demos running (line,box,dotty).
>They aren't very robust.  Otherwise, I've had no crashes from the
>OS, that I didn't write myself :-)
    i've seen several (>8) crashes, only one i wrote myself.

	wayne hamilton
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
Phone:	(217)333-8703

granvold@tymix.UUCP (Tom Granvold) (10/14/85)

In article <148600006@uiucuxc> hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU writes:

>    me too.  now, can you tell me the XON character?  ^S stops output,
>but ^Q doesn't restart it.  RETURN restarts, but you get a "bad command"
>message later.  i've resorted to ^S and ^H, at least until i can 'port
>"more".

	I had found that ^X restarts output after using ^S. A lucky
guess and a thousand monkeys helped in finding this.

>    does someone have dox for ed?  i used the monkey approach here too.
>i've got (barely) enough to get by, but i need a lot more.  what's
>"*(escape?)sa", anyway?  i use escape-x-escape to write&quit.  if nobody
>has better info, i'll post the notes i've made.

	The documentation for ED is in the AmigaDOS User's Manual, which
probably only the developers have at this time. There are two groups of
commands for ED, immediate and extended. The immediate commands use the
control key, shown here by '^'. The extended commands are called up by
the escape key.

	Immediate commands: (the characters may either upper or lower case)

^A - Inset line		^B - Delete line	^D - Scroll text down
^E - Move to top or bottom of screen		^F - Flip case
^G - Repeat last extended command line		^H - Delete previous char.
^I - tab		^M - carriage return	^O - Delete word or spaces
^R - Go to end of previous word			^T - Go to start of next word
^U - Scroll text up	^V - Verify screen	^Y - Delete to end of line
^[ - escape		^] - go to start of line

	Also, the cursor keys work as do <TAB>, <Backspace> and <Delete>.

	Extended commands: (again either upper of lower case works)

A - Insert line		B - Go to end of file	BE - mark end of block
BF - backwards file 	BS - mark start of block
CE - Go to end of line  CL - Move cursor left one character
CR - Move cursot right one character		CS - Go to start of line
D - Delete line		DB - Delete block	DC - Delete character
E/s/t/ - Change s to t  EQ - Query change	EX - Extend right margin
F /s/ - Find string s	I - Insert line		IB - Insert copy of block
IF/s/ - insert file 'f' J - Join current & next line
LC - Distinguish between upper & lower case in searches
M n - Go to line #n	N - Go to start of next line
P - Go to start of previous line		Q - Quit, text not saved
RP - Repeat		S - Split line		SA - Save text to file
SB - Show block		SH - Show information	SL n - Set left margin
SR n - Set right margin	ST n - Set tab distance	T - go to top of file
U - Undo changes on current line		UC - Ignore case in searches
WB /s/ - Write block fo file 's'		X - Save text and exit

	When escape is pressed to execute an extended command, the cursor
moves to the bottom of the window to take the command and its parameters.
Escape is like ':' in VI this way.

>>I've had the OS crash when I had the Demos running (line,box,dotty).
>>They aren't very robust.  Otherwise, I've had no crashes from the
>>OS, that I didn't write myself :-)
>    i've seen several (>8) crashes, only one i wrote myself.

	I have also crashed a few times myself. Once was when the tab
on the disk was now quite in the write enable position. It was loose
and would sometimes enable writes and others disable writes. In trying
to copy a disk to it the machine got confused and crashed.

Tom Granvold
ucbvax!allegra!oliveb!tymix!granvold