[net.micro.amiga] attempted answers to miscellaneous questions

praetorius@vaxwrk.DEC (10/16/85)

From:		GALLO::BANKS        "Dawn Banks" 16-OCT-1985 13:33
Forwarded-by:	VAXWRK::PRAETORIUS
Subj:		answers to some Amiga questions
Content:	stochastically derived information (hey, hey, we're the monkeys)

I've read a few questions from this mailing list, and I figured I'd throw in my
$.02 by way of some answers:

Regarding the XON/XOFF questions, I've found that typing anything will freeze
the screen, and typing a backspace will resume the typeout.  Typing a return
will work as well, but it will "remember" anything you've typed as typeahead. I
think the rational is that when you type a command ahead, it wants to be "nice"
to you, and freeze the typeout so's you can see what you're typing.  Someone
mentioned that ^X also resumes output.  Does ^X function as a "delete line"
character in normal typein?

>	2.  How do you exit ABASIC and return to Workbench... I've used
>		the 'system' command, which exits ABASIC, but the ICONs for
>		the disketts loaded in my drives do not appear back on the
>		screen... Only solution so far is to reboot.

  I haven't had any such problem exiting ABasiC.  If I start it from the
workbench, I get the workbench back when I type "SYSTEM".  If I start it from
the CLI (have to say "STACK 8000", then "ABasiC".  You can also type "Run
ABasiC", which starts ABasiC in its own CLI), I get the CLI back when I give
the "SYSTEM" command.  Are you booting ABasiC directly from the ABasiC disk?
We've just copied it onto our copy of the workbench disk.

>	3.  How can one set the date and time from CLx.

1>DATE 16-Oct-85 14:23

>	4.  In ABASIC, is their a way to change the screen width so that
>	 	more than 40 characters appear on a line for editing.

   Use the "screen" command.  Typing "Screen 1,4,0" will clear the screen and
set hi res  Font 1 will set 80 column mode, font 2 is 60 (font 0 means set
from Preferences).

>	6.  What would I have to do to modify the startup command file in
>		directory 's' to load an ABASIC program, run it, exit it,
>		then return to the Workbench Menu.

Well, I suppose you can edit your S/Startup-sequence to contain

STACK 8000
ABasiC

to get ABasiC started, then add all the commands to load/run/exit to workbench
to the ABasiC startup command file which is called S/Init.Bas (or S:Init.Bas if
you like).  You have to be sort of careful about editing startup-sequence,
though.  For instance, if you delete everything so that the Amiga comes up in
the CLI, and type "EndCLI", you'll get a blank screen, with no disk Icons, and
no way to run anything.  It's just self defense to leave a "LoadWB" in the
startup file, just so you'll always have the workbench disk icons laying about.
(Question:  Does anyone know how to UNLOAD the workbench after loaded?).

> I was wondering if anyone has come up with a way of creating "ALIASES".
> As I was looking through the CLI manual I did notice that they do have
> an EXECUTE command wich looks like it might wourk like a .BAT (batch file
> on MS-DOS).  The only problem I can see with this is that you must type
> EXECUTE before the file.  It appears like this is the same thing as the
> "source" command on UNIX or the "take" command on TOPS-20.  I cannot stand
> some of the "FEATURES" of the CLI and was wondering if I have to write my
> own shell to make my AMIGA usable.

   You'll find most all of the CLI commands in directory "C".  I've found that
if you don't particularly like the command name they chose, you can rename/copy
the processor to whatever you like.  (Or are you asking how to make a new
command given a command file name?)

   Now, for a question of my own:  How do you get any documentation on the CLI
and the DOS?  Does this entail getting a developer's kit, and if so, how do I
get one, and what does it cost?

					DRB & Robt. P.

(DEC E-NET)	VAXWRK::PRAETORIUS
(UUCP)		{decvax, ucbvax, allegra}!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-vaxwrk!praetorius
(ARPA)		praetorius%vaxwrk.DEC@decwrl.ARPA

wen_b@h-sc1.UUCP (alvin wen) (10/17/85)

>    Now, for a question of my own:  How do you get any documentation on the CLI
> and the DOS?  Does this entail getting a developer's kit, and if so, how do I
> get one, and what does it cost?

    Yes, call Commodore, and about $300, I think.