[net.micro.amiga] Amiga HAM demo, fonts, speech

page%ulowell.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (10/18/85)

From: Bob Page <page%ulowell.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

The _Hold_And_Modify_ (H.A.M.) demo has an invisible close gadget in the
upper left-hand corner of the screen.  That will get rid of it.  Other
demos are trickier; i.e. some versions of Boing! require you to pull the
screen down; the close gadget is on another menu on the WB screen.

> From: Henry Kautz  <henry>
> 1.  The amiga software does not support fonts directly, or anything like
> the mac/imagewriter ability to mix various fonts and graphics.  You can
> draw pretty color pictures, but forget about seeing them on paper (yet).
> Forget (probably forever) about being able to install different fonts
> in different system disks, etc.

Wow, that sounds pretty bad...where did you find this info?  Certainly not
from simply playing with the machine at the dealer's.  Notepad mixes fonts
fine, my Tally-80 (Epson-compatible) prints them very well.  The Diablo
color printer prints excellent replicas of the screen right now; the
Okimate 20 isn't too bad either.  And the Kernel has custom font support:
 AddFont      - add a font to the system list
 AskFont      - get text attributes of the current font
 AskSoftStyle - get soft style (agorithmically generated) bits of current font
 BltBitMap    - move a rectangle in a raster
 BltTemplate  - "cookie cut" a shape in a rectangle to the RastPort
 CloseFont    - release a pointer to a system font
 OpenFont     - get a pointer to a system font
 RemFont      - remove a font from the system list
 SetFont      - set the text font and attributes in a RastPort
 SetSoftStyle - set the soft style of the current font
These (and more) routines use the TextFont data structure that you manipulate.
Open mouth, insert font.

> 5.  The current voice-synthesizer software doesn't sound any better
> than Smoothtalker on the mac.

Notice words 'current' and 'software'.  Also notice you don't have to buy it.

~Bob (The Amigo)
----
page%ulowell.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa
PO Box 283, Lowell MA 01853