[net.micro.amiga] The ^S, ^Q problem.

rimbold%ulowell.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA (10/17/85)

From: Rob Rimbold <rimbold%ulowell.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>

The Amiga will stop output to the screen when any character is typed from the
keyboard, and resume output when either the character is erased or followed
by a carriage return. That is why the ^X that someone mentioned that they
were using as an XON character works.

How did anyone manage to get 30 or so box demos running on the screen at once?
I tried with my 512K machine, and only managed about 20 before it complained
about 'Not enough memory' and asked me to reset. Has anyone else tried 'boxing'
up the screen?

~Rob

wen_b@h-sc1.UUCP (alvin wen) (10/18/85)

> How did anyone manage to get 30 or so box demos running on the screen at once?
> I tried with my 512K machine, and only managed about 20 before it complained
> about 'Not enough memory' and asked me to reset. Has anyone else tried 'boxing'
> up the screen?

      We resized all the windows to their minimum size before arranging them in
neat columns; I suspect it would be more RAM efficient to leave them unsized
and stacked on top of each other.

hamilton@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU (10/23/85)

>The Amiga will stop output to the screen when any character is typed from the
>keyboard, and resume output when either the character is erased or followed
>by a carriage return. That is why the ^X that someone mentioned that they
>were using as an XON character works.

since the last time i mentioned this, i've settled on using space/backspace
for XOFF/XON.  works like a charm, and doesn't corrupt the screen.

	wayne hamilton
	U of Il and US Army Corps of Engineers CERL
UUCP:	{ihnp4,pur-ee,convex}!uiucdcs!uiucuxc!hamilton
ARPA:	hamilton@uiucuxc.cso.uiuc.edu
CSNET:	hamilton%uiucuxc@uiuc.csnet
USMail:	Box 476, Urbana, IL 61801
Phone:	(217)333-8703