[net.micro.amiga] AMIGA question for the AMIGA people

peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) (10/20/85)

Now that AMIGA is on the net, I'd like to re-ask my one burning question...

	WHAT IS BEING DONE ABOUT THE MEMORY FULL PROBLEM?

This is the only thing keeping me from getting an AMIGA. When you run out of
memory, instead of putting up a dialogue box saying:

	Not enough memory: Cancel operation/ Abort application.

it just locks up & after a while you get a Guru Meditation number. That's nice,
but a Guru Meditation Number has very little resale value. I was told it was
a problem in the demos, but it happens too reliably and with too many non-demo
programs for me to believe that.

This is just not an acceptable behaviour.

dale@amiga.UUCP (Dale Luck) (10/24/85)

In article <323@graffiti.UUCP> peter@graffiti.UUCP (Peter da Silva) writes:
>Now that AMIGA is on the net, I'd like to re-ask my one burning question...
>
>	WHAT IS BEING DONE ABOUT THE MEMORY FULL PROBLEM?

   Version 1.0 of the software is indeed not very forgivable when it runs
   out of memory while doing many operations.  One of the biggest culprits
   is the layer library which must dynamically allocate data structures
   and bitmaps to correctly represent the layer topography.

   But there is hope!

   The layer.library was almost completely rewritten to allow it to
   cleanly back out of layer operations and return status accordingly.
   This will be available when Version 1.1 comes out (real soon now).

   It is still not perfect but we have not stopped working on improving
   the software.

   Please keep us informed of any and all problems, suggestions, and
   comments.
							   Dale Luck
							   Commodore-Amiga