[net.micro.amiga] Amiga's listening to you.

neil@amiga.UUCP (Neil Katin) (10/18/85)

Amiga is now on the net.  We have been reading the postings for the
last week or so, and should be able to send outgoing news now.

I'm the one who posted the note to net.news.newsite, and I've started
getting mail about "I want to be a developer..." or "I already am a
developer, and had a question..." or "I got an amiga and it has this
bug..." (sigh).  Unfortunately, I am not the right person to deal with
those sort of questions.  I have created a mail account on amiga called
amiga!support.  If you send your postings here it will get to the right
people (is current send the msg to a local newsgroup amiga.support...).

Personally, I haven't been on USENET for about two years.  I remember
in times past people were upset with having a "for profit" support line
that went through uucp.  Would someone please let me know what the
current policy on this is?  We are willing to do a direct connection
to anyone who has more than an occational question.

For those of you who are "real" developers:  remember that we already
have the Amiga on-line support system.  You should have gotten info on
this with your developers kit.  For the rest of you, we really would
like to have your input (and want to fix whatever bugs there are...)
but remember that no one can deal with a non-specific bug report.

It's hard to know where to start on replying to some of the misinformation
that is going around.  The one that I REALLY wanted to address is the
bouncing ball.

The ball really DOES only use about 8% of the CPU time.  It is done
by playing with the bit-plane pointers and color map every vertical
frame.  As Bob Pariseau (our first software person, and current
VP software) says "there's less here than meets the eye".  However
it's a legitimate hack, and shows some of the easy magic you can
do with the machine.

In the same posting, someone was talking about how 70% of the bus
bandwidth was used for painting the ball.  There is a faint kernel
of truth in this, but it is misleading.  The amiga's memory is run
at twice the speed of the cpu.  This bandwidth is divided between
the display (bit planes), the blitter, the copper (co-processor),
the cpu, and other stuff (disk dma, sprite data, etc).  The display
has the highest priority.  The copper comes next.  The blitter and
the cpu trade off whatever is left.  The "other stuff" only uses
a low percentage of bus bandwidth, so doesn't affect this discussion.

There is enougth bus bandwidth to support eight low resolution bit
planes, or four high res planes.  (note that for other reasons the
amiga does not support more than six bit planes...).  Once you have
this many planes displaying, there is only bus bandwidth for the cpu
during the horizontal and vertical blanking periods.

In "normal" operation, when the workbench screen is being displayed
(2 high res bit planes), the 68000 can run at full speed if the blitter
is not running.  If the blitter is running then they share the available
bandwidth (but the blitter is doing its job faster than the 68000 could
do the equivalent things...).

Now, back to boing (the bouncing ball demo).  This is a five bit plane,
low res image.  The display is using ~62% of the available bus bandwidth.
The cpu can therefore run at ~75% of maximum speed, NOT the 30% that

Hope this clears up some of these questions...

	Neil Katin
	amiga!neil

wjr@utai.UUCP (William Rucklidge) (10/22/85)

In article <132@amiga.amiga.UUCP> neil@rocky.UUCP (Neil Katin) writes:
> There is enougth bus bandwidth to support eight low resolution bit
> planes, or four high res planes.  (note that for other reasons the
> amiga does not support more than six bit planes...).  Once you have
> this many planes displaying, there is only bus bandwidth for the cpu
> during the horizontal and vertical blanking periods.
>
> In "normal" operation, when the workbench screen is being displayed
> (2 high res bit planes), the 68000 can run at full speed if the blitter
> is not running.  If the blitter is running then they share the available
> bandwidth (but the blitter is doing its job faster than the 68000 could
> do the equivalent things...).
>
> 	Neil Katin
> 	amiga!neil

Hum... this raises some questions. From the block diagram I saw in BYTE,
it seems that the Amiga has a layered bus structure. Does anyone know if
this is in fact the case? This would mean that the processor would only
be slowed down/locked out when it was trying to access the lower 512K
bank, and could run at full speed if it was using other memory, regardless
of what display mode was active or what the blitter was doing... if you
had an external RAM expansion you would be able to run the processor at
full speed almost all the time, since your programs would be in non-
contended memory.

This would be a lovely thing to have... full processor speed and lots
of bit planes and blitter action.

--
William Rucklidge			University of Toronto
UUCP	{ihnp4	utzoo	decwrl	uw-beaver}!utcsri!utai!wjr

eric@caip.RUTGERS.EDU (Eric Lavitsky) (10/24/85)

> From: wjr@utai.UUCP (William Rucklidge)
> Newsgroups: net.micro.amiga
> Subject: Re: Amiga's listening to you.
> Date: 22 Oct 85 18:36:34 GMT

> Hum... this raises some questions. From the block diagram I saw in BYTE,
> it seems that the Amiga has a layered bus structure. Does anyone know if
> this is in fact the case? This would mean that the processor would only
> be slowed down/locked out when it was trying to access the lower 512K
> bank, and could run at full speed if it was using other memory, regardless
> of what display mode was active or what the blitter was doing... if you
> had an external RAM expansion you would be able to run the processor at
> full speed almost all the time, since your programs would be in non-
> contended memory.
>
> This would be a lovely thing to have... full processor speed and lots
> of bit planes and blitter action.
>
> --

You are correct. The lower 512K of the address space is known as 'chip'
memory. The 3 custom VLSI's can only see this memory. All memory added
above an beyond this is called 'fast' memory, because the 68000 can
access this memory at full speed without worrying about contention from
other devices. In fact, if you look at the board design, it strongly
reflects this feature of the architecture. Any memory added on the
side expansion port is linked directly to the 68000, but not the VLSI's
like the internal 512K is.

 Applications that sit in fast memory should really scream, even when
a lot of graphics is going on. Hopefully, Commodore will announce their
expansion box soon so we can fully take advantage of the Amiga's address
space. The T-Card may be nice, but if I expand, I want to be able to
go all the way...

Eric
--

ARPA:	LAVITSKY@RUTGERS
UUCP:	...{harvard,seismo,ut-sally,sri-iu,ihnp4}!topaz!eric